Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
konrad___far_north

What do you know about blacknot?

The last 3 years or so with more moisture during growing season I've seen it come back like crazy! Was pruning out a tree the other day, with leaves falling off one can see it better. Any recommendation other then pruning?
Perhaps needs good air flow by pruning out crowded branches.
Now I know what to look for before it gets real ugly/black.
Branches which get thicker dramatically, [picture] are the ones to look for and cut out also when you got all the others/obvious black ones out.

Comments (14)

• shillanorth Z4 AB
    9 years ago

My neighbour had it in one of their Schubert chokecherries last year - not noticed until the leaves came off in the fall. We pruned it out and haven`t seen any this year but I have seen it in others around town. The Prunus genus is quite susceptible to it. I don`t believe there is anything other than pruning out affected areas and allowing for good air circulation - something we have plenty of down here!!!!

• wayne
    9 years ago

You can spray for it, not sure what product works best. Choke cherries around here usually have it but I see some bushes that do not or have very little.

• northspruce
    9 years ago

It's everywhere here in Manitoba now. Many ornamental trees are either fully infected or have been removed in cities, and it's spread way out into the country in native species. I see it on shrubs in the bush and I think they're hawthorn &/or chokecherries.

• Konrad___far_north
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thank you all!
    Yes, mine is also in the chokecherry, I'll keep pruning for now and see.

• beegood_gw
    9 years ago

It's even worse on Maydays. I know people who are just getting rid of theirs. But I think it spreads much faster in town.

• Konrad___far_north
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I don't have any in town, this is out at the farm, one of my trees from seeds,..about the first 20 years I've never seen any black not until my neighbor came over with a infected branch and asked what it was, about 2 years later I had it for good! Some wild ones in the bush got it also.

• celtic_07
    9 years ago

I was told by an arborist around here that if a tree has to it can infect trees for many many miles all around it .Once you have it in your area it's there for good as many people often don't bother to trim it out even if they do it's often too late. All my wild chokecherries are becoming infected in the country

• Konrad..just outside of Edmonton Alberta
    9 years ago

Especially now in several years of wet conditions makes it much worse.

• mattpf (zone4)
    9 years ago

Cut them off and spray them with copper spray on a nice dry spell like we have now in alberta .i spray copper in spring now and in fall . Nothing survives on it

• Audrey
    9 years ago

I get black knot on my Canada Red chokecherry and have had it on a couple cherry plums. It killed the cherry plums, but the chokecherry keeps on going. I learned that it is spread by spores that proliferate in early spring, April here in northern Minnesota. Prune now to get rid of it before it sends our spores. All prunings should be burned or carted off to the landfill, as the fungus can still send out spores if you compost or pile them. My wild chokecherries seem to be immune to black knot, as are the native plums. That Canada Red surely is pretty, and it is lovely in bloom. It sets fruit but drops them before they ripen, so I may wind up rooting it out to remove the reservoir of black knot. When I look for replacements for the cherry plums, I'll look for resistant varieties, as black knot is endemic here.

• mattpf (zone4)
    9 years ago

Black knot is bad in older neighbourhoods in calgary also. I think pruning destroying the clippings and than spraying the tree with copper is all I ever heard about surpressing it. I think it can spread to plums easy so you may want to do a copper spray this spring on your trees. My neighbourhood is full of pincherry trees with black knot I spray all my trees in spring and fall with nice thick layer .it cost me about $30 a year to do the few trees I have.

8 years ago

I was surprised with our dry weather we had so far this year how badly the outbreak is!

..so, I'm not believing anymore that wet conditions is worse. I pruned everything off last fall and now Sausages hang on again!! Was burning a bunch the other day, 3 of my seedling trees and Schubert. Got a natural native batch and never seen it there...perhaps they dealt with it for hundreds of years and have put on a immunity. I might have to chop them down if it's not going to get better.

• ostrich
    8 years ago

Oh boy.... this thread made me go and check my Schubert Chokecherry (I did not choose it - it came with the house - thank you, builder.... NOT!) and surely, I found a big 'sausage' on one branch too. I pruned it off right away!!! Now I am wondering what will happen next with this tree....

I really should have got rid of this dreadful Schubert Chokecherry when I re-did my front yard landscaping!!! YIKES!

8 years ago

Well..relax, just keep an eye on it, I'm still learning how to trim back, been pruning about 2 foot back from the effected part, think that not enough, now I cut the whole branch off,.. will see if that's any better.

Sponsored
BME Construction LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars20 Reviews
Loudoun County's Source for High-End Custom Decks & Outdoor Structure