Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
grovegreenguy

A bit tooooo early!

FrozeBudd_z3/4
13 years ago

I know that some grape hyacinth varieties will produce fall foliage, though I have never seen my daffodils come up at this time of the year ... has anyone else experienced this? It must have something to do with the very cool September weather (in Alberta) followed by the warmth of recent.

{{gwi:777938}}

Comments (8)

• oilpainter
    13 years ago

Mother nature doesn't just fool gardeners, sometimes she fools bulbs too.

One year I had tulips planted along my house on the south side. We had a January thaw for about 2 weeks and all those tulips came up and froze when it got cold again. It killed every one of them. Hopefully it will get cold again and your bulbs will have enough juice to bloom again in spring.

I wish you luck

• don555
    13 years ago

Usually the new shoots on daffodils don't break through the surface in the fall, but rest assured the actual flower buds are still well underground and protected. Once the soil freezes you might want to spread some leaves over those shoots so it's like the are underground, then remove the leaves as soon as the snow is gone. I like to cover daff beds with some leaves in the fall as I find that really helps them through the winter.

• marciaz3 Tropical 3 Northwestern Ontario
    13 years ago

Don, does snow cover work the same way as covering with leaves? I've just planted a fair number of daffodil bulbs in places with reliable snow cover but if they need extra protection, i'll put leaves on those spots.

• oilpainter
    13 years ago

marciaz
    Snow cover works better than leaves when there is snow cover. When leaves are better though is the time before snow cover in fall and early spring when the snow cover is gone.

I don't know about where you live, but in my zone 3 we can get some very cold temps in spring and fall. With no snow or mulch protection the frost goes deep.

• glen3a
    13 years ago

Maybe the bulbs know that winter is cancelled this year?

I know, I know - wishful thinking!

Glen

• shazam_z3
    13 years ago

This is normal. Sometimes they put up green shoots after planting. No need to worry.

• northspruce
    13 years ago

Yep, I've had shoots on newly planted spring bulbs. Doesn't seem to do them any harm.

I just noticed my False Spirea has lost all its leaves but has new 1/4" green buds on its branches. Wonder if it's going to suffer this winter?

• marciaz3 Tropical 3 Northwestern Ontario
    13 years ago

Oilpainter, you're right - i wasn't thinking of the spring and fall temps and i should have because that's what did in some of the perennials - and likely bulbs - around here last spring. I'll have to go around pilfering leaves that people leave in bags for pick-up. :>

Glen, i was saying to my daughter yesterday that the only thing wrong with the temperatures we've had this past week was that it wasn't May and we had the whole summer to look forward to!