Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
beegood_gw

Weird fungas

beegood_gw
13 years ago

Found a group of these by some stumps in my back yard. This was the largest one.

Comments (15)

• marciaz3 Tropical 3 Northwestern Ontario
    13 years ago

Hmmm, i thought Honey Mushroom when i first saw it, but it isn't even close. LOL I looked through my good mushroom book but couldn't find what it might be - maybe someone else can ID it.

• beegood_gw
    Original Author
    13 years ago

I have checked loads of mushroom and fungi sites but nothing that resmbles this. Probably so commom they don't even bother with it. Makes me think of a cancer growth where cells don't know when to stop growing.

13 years ago

Could be a mutation of some kind. Dunno.

• Konrad___far_north
    13 years ago

They could be honey mushrooms, ..the looks, the place and time seem
    to be correct, but never eat until 100% sure.

• nutsaboutflowers
    13 years ago

Your fungus is kind of pretty and scary looking all at once.
    It depends on which music you think of when you look at it, LOL!!

On another note, did the crappy weather this year affect your bees?

• beegood_gw
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Some one else told me they thought that they were honey mushrooms but looking at the pictures they don't quite match.
    NutsABF My bees did not do well this year. Swarmed early and didn't do much work. Right now the hive looks better than it did all summer. Hoping for a better year next year.
    The 'shroom pix were taken on Sat. Will see today how they look now.

• beegood_gw
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Took these today. They are so tightly clustered I didn' even know they had stems. Must have about 8 clumps on two stumps

• Konrad___far_north
    13 years ago

This looks like a honey mushroom stem, I used to collect allot of them.

• beegood_gw
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Would they have been edible if I had picked them when they first emerged?There was enuff of them to make a complete meal.

• Konrad___far_north
    13 years ago

Well hm....they would be edible if you're sure 100%

• beegood_gw
    Original Author
    13 years ago

I thought you were!! OK so no taste test I guess.

• Konrad___far_north
    13 years ago

From a picture you really can't be 100% sure, one must do more
    examination, like a spore test, a complete stalk examine etc. or
    take it to mushroom expert.

13 years ago

I agree with Konrad - don't go trying any wild mushrooms unless you're absolutely sure of them. One of my mushroom books showed how to do a spore print - you take the stem off the mushroom, lay it gill-side down on a piece of paper or paper towelling and cover with a glass. I can't remember how long it takes - several hours at least, i think - and when you take the glass off and lift the mushroom cap, you'll have a perfect spore print on the paper. A book will tell you what to look for - colour, shape, etc.

• SeaOtterCove
    13 years ago

When I look in my mushroom book the honey mushroom or Armillaria mellea has a stem ring which I don't see on these mushrooms. What they do look like according to my book is Lyophyllum decastes or the Fried Chicken Mushroom which is also edible. Now, I would NOT eat them based on this. This is only an assumption on the photo and what a book is saying. As Konrad and Marcia both said you have to do much more before you even consider eating them. But this hopefully should get you on the right track to identifying them.

Happy hunting!

• beegood_gw
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thank yiu. I shall persevere and hope for another class.