Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
marciaz3

So, what's with this?

I found this lupine in the garden this week. It was WSed in the spring:

I've never seen fall blooms on a lupine before. This stalk looks pretty thick, though - a faciation, maybe?

Comments (6)

• shrillmtb
    13 years ago

Lucky you! I was down in Duluth last week, and saw some lupines blooming there - had to do a double take to be sure of what I was seeing. Haven't noticed any here in T Bay, but I can't believe some of the things that are still blooming out in the garden :)

• DrHorticulture_
    13 years ago

A horticulturist here in Saskatoon once mentioned a plant that specifically flowers in early November. Unfortunately, I don't remember the name and he passed away last year.

• northspruce
    13 years ago

Looks like a faciation for sure. I have often had WSed plants try to bloom in the fall the first year, especially the ones that would normally bloom their first summer if you started them indoors. Lupines usually bloomed the first summer for me, which is good because as you notice I'm using the past tense and they are very short-lived in my garden.

• marciaz3 Tropical 3 Northwestern Ontario
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Welcome, Shrill! Good to have someone else from NWOntario here - i'm always in the minority!

DrH., my autumn crocuses bloomed in November last year. They're blooming now, though, this year.

Gil, i think my lupines must reseed because i have them all the time. And this fall there is a lot of new growth on some of the plants. I planted red ones last year that didn't come back, but had more seeds so WSed some more. Hopefully they'll survive. I also found some yellow ones this summer and planted them as well, and have seeds. Hopefully i can keep them going in my gardens. I'll have to keep an eye on that lupine - we're supposed to have several days of rain, so maybe it will actually bloom.

• northspruce
    13 years ago

Our rain is supposed to start tomorrow. I can't believe I'm saying this but my garden is desperate for it. I transplanted a bunch of stuff and it hasn't rained for 7 weeks.

Purple and pink lupines used to come back for me at my old place. I tried red and white here and they didn't bloom or return.

• marciaz3 Tropical 3 Northwestern Ontario
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Too dark to see if it's raining out yet, but, yes, the garden is desperate for it. I planted a potted rose into a holding bed last week and poured gallons of water onto it. Yesterday when i threw some still-blooming annuals into the ground around it (took them out of containers i wanted to dump), the ground was like dust. I'm really glad for the rain because DH drained my rain barrel and i still wanted to water the roses and shrubs.

Sponsored
Dave Fox Design Build Remodelers
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars49 Reviews
Columbus Area's Luxury Design Build Firm | 17x Best of Houzz Winner!