Return to the Far North Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
-2C -- summer's gone

Posted by ljpother 3a (My Page) on
Thu, Oct 1, 09 at 10:53

My thermometer is reporting -2C and there is frost on the lawn. I got my geraniums and four 0'clocks into the greenhouse which is showing 1C. I forgot about my amaryllis; most are buried, but one is leafing out.

Last year I left the geraniums until after the frost -- I just remembered my three foot high geranium is still outside :( -- and I lost most of the pinks and whites.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: -2C -- summer's gone

Hey it was -5 at my place this morning. Everything is crisp and I hope that includes the bugs etc.

o

ljpother, glad you had mentioned geraniums, I had gotten a real nice balcony type that I had planted directly in the ground and indeed forgot to dig and bring it in .... it's still looking okay and I'll get to it today :)

Terry

o

Minus 10C at International Airport this morning...do you buy it?

>>I hope that includes the bugs etc.<<
Yes, but not your bees, wrapping them soon is my next step.
Wasp were flying still in full force today, cleaning out my honey supers.
Picked my last apples out on Acreage but have a tree here in Beaumont
[Collet] still hanging on good, and some pears.

Konrad

o

My big geranium is fine, now I have to remember to bring it in. It's at least three years old and I'm going to have to trim it. However, it's hard to single out a branch for sacrifice; maybe I'll decide when I need cuttings for new starts. :)

I think I found most of my amaryllis bulbs. I had them in leaves over a newspaper mulch and they really didn't develop roots this year. These usually bloom shortly after I bring them in and pot them up. A half dozen amaryllis blooming in the same pot is really nice.

The green tomatoes didn't mind the frost; but, the cherries and ripe tomatoes are kind of sticky.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Far North Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here