Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
nutsaboutflowers

Are You Ready for the Season Change?

nutsaboutflowers
11 years ago

I'm not ready yet.

I haven't planted a few of the shrubs and may end up having to sink them in their pots. I seem to be getting good at doing that......

I may have to just dig a few big holes and throw all the bulbs in and see what type of display I get in the spring. Since I like order, it would be an interesting project.

Has everyone else closed up shop for the year, or are you still working at it?

Comments (19)

• FrozeBudd_z3/4
    11 years ago

I'm pretty much where you're at with things, I couldn't decide where to plant several new shrubs and so the potted plants have been sunk in the ground along with other shrubs and perennials that never seem to get planted in a permanent position, lol. I also picked up a large bag of 40 double daffodils that need to go in today ... or tomorrow, or the next day, lol.

To reduce the amount of spring work to be done, I think I'll spread the compost and manure this autumn. I also have a bed against the house that needs to be reworked, I had incorporated toooo much peat moss and that area becomes too wet and has hampered the growth of some plants.

• Ginny McLean_Petite_Garden
    11 years ago

You are funny Lynn! The shop is always open around here! Fall work is only part of the regular work day.......which is behind about 2 months! I have peonies to plant and pots to sink and the list goes on. :) Big yard, muddy dogs, lots of leaves and I seem to be so busy at this time of year. What's with that?

Ginny

• marciaz3 Tropical 3 Northwestern Ontario
    11 years ago

I've been cleaning up slowly - every so often i find another container that hasn't been dumped, and there are the two big ones by my granddaughter's garden that will need to be but some of the plants still look okay in them.

There are still decor items that need to come in, but i need to straighten things up where they'll go first. I've done some weeding, and also got mad at some invasive things in one garden (filipendula and centaurea) and dug them out in a foot-wide strip along one path. Not that it will help, but might slow things down a bit.

I still have some containers to sink into the vegetable garden for the winter, but dh hasn't been able to till it yet. It's pretty much cleaned up too, though i did leave the swiss chard out there - haven't covered it either, like i said i would. Oh well!

Today my little grandgirl and i raked leaves and we made the biggest pile of leaves in the world! :)

• FrozeBudd_z3/4
    11 years ago

"Today my little grandgirl and i raked leaves and we made the biggest pile of leaves in the world!" ... I hope you snapped a photo to share :)

I got those daffodils in the ground, though think I planted them a bit too deep, oh well, lol and then also planted 50 'Globemaster' alliums in groups around the place, should look nice ... oh, these were from my own bulbs that have multiplied over the years, it would cost a fortunate to purchase that many!

11 years ago

Wouldn't you know it - my camera chose this weekend to die. :-/ It turns on but the lens won't extend. I could take pictures with my phone but i never have it on me, so....

Do you pull your alliums? I never know where mine are come fall!

• FrozeBudd_z3/4
    11 years ago

Marcia, I dug them about two months ago after the stems had dried up and just stored the bulbs in a pail until replanting. I really should have amended the soil, as one gets great results with 'Globemaster' when the soil is enriched, though these were planted in a rush with a bit of fertilizer tossed in ... mmmm, maybe I'll still top dress with compost or manure.

11 years ago

Good idea, Terry. I might remember to do that next year. :)

• xaroline
    11 years ago

I am still working on it!
    Brought in geraniums and cannas.
    Still have plants and bulbs to go in!
    And the leaves need to be raked onto the flower beds.

Caroline

11 years ago

I don't put the leaves on the flower beds until the ground starts to freeze and that's not the case yet. However, if the weather people are to be believed - and i sincerely hope they're wrong - that'll be here in spades in a couple of weeks. :-/ I really think it's a mistake! LOL

• northspruce
    11 years ago

I haven't done much. I raked a few leaves but there are still tons left. I need to bring in my two planters that will break if they freeze. I hope they're not already broken...

I cover my roses in November so that's a little way off.

11 years ago

I took a picture of the biggest leaf pile with my phone:

It has now been reduced by a couple of scary leaf bags, but there's still lots to go!

• FrozeBudd_z3/4
    11 years ago

Marcia, your forecast is looking similar to ours :( ... so, today it was fast forward attempting to do up those few final chores. Waterlily tanks were drained and plants removed of leaves and wheeled off into the coldroom. I snipped off all the remaining foliage from the 'Blue Moon' wisteria and carefully rolled the large vine into an amazingly small circle (its soo flexible!) and tucked it into an insulated box next to the foundation. I hope the weather really isn't too bad, cause there's still many things I'd wish to accomplish this autumn!

11 years ago

I wish my Henry Kelsey rose was that flexible! I took him down from his trellis and tried to lay him on the ground but he doesn't want to do that. LOL I've kind of gotten him pinned down a bit with the trellis, but he isn't happy about it. Maybe he'd rather be a bush rose instead!

The rain is supposed to let us later today, so i also need to continue with the outdoor chores. I wanted to get everything weeded well before winter and there are still a couple of spots i haven't gotten to. And there are more leaves to rake as well. Fun, fun, fun!

11 years ago

I think i'm as finished as i'll ever be this fall. I just need to string some solar lights on the trellis in my mom's garden, and that's pretty much it.

We've had so much rain, and now it's pretty cold. I've loved the extended falls we've had the last few years, but we had a good summer this year, so i guess i can't complain. Too much. :>

So.... when are the seed catalogues coming out?

• CLBlakey
    11 years ago

I have been ready for fall but not this :( Hope the roads to Edmonton are good on the 15th. Pardon my pretty orange tape gotsta keep them trick or treaters out of my garden bed.

11 years ago

So not fair! :(

• CLBlakey
    11 years ago

I think I'll stop pouting I am not going through "Sandy" Like some on Garden Web. Time to count my blessings.

• shazam_z3
    11 years ago

Yes, I am ready for winter to turn into spring.

• CLBlakey
    11 years ago

Now that is a season change I am ready for

Sponsored
Outdoor Spaces
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars19 Reviews
Experienced Full Service Landscape Design Firm Serving Loudoun County