Return to the Far North Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Does anybody save 'spikes' over winter? How?

Posted by fillagirl 2b/3 (My Page) on
Mon, Oct 4, 10 at 12:29

Hi there, I have about 12 spike draceana plants that I used in my containers that are really nice and big. I was thinking that I could perhaps save them over winter OR try to propogate a few so I don't have to buy them next summer. I talk about propogating them because they are pretty big right now and would be huge by next summer.

Anybody do this and if yes, can you explain. Any other ideas on what to do with these nice plants, hate to see them freeze and die.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Does anybody save 'spikes' over winter? How?

I just put in a corner where it got decent light and watered it when needed and that's about it.

o

Draceana is actually a small tree. We only buy the babies for our pots. If they are pretty big now they would be huge by the end of next summer.

There's no way I know of to divide them. You can make them a bit smaller by peeling off a few of the outer leaves. You can let them go dormant in a root cellar or bring them in and do like beegood says. You can grow them from seed but it takes a long time.

I don't have room or inclination to try, so I just pitch them and buy new the next year.

o

Aren't they like 45 cents new?

o

I just brought in the pots last year and kept them in the West window, lots of light. Had some leaves brown on the tips and on the outside but in the spring I brought them out and they started growing. Stan

o

OK, so I paid $2 a spike this summer. Taking them in is an option, however I think they would be huge by next summer. Can I cut them right down and will they grow again? Or split them? Or ????????
Maybe I just suck it up and throw them out.

o

No you can't cut them down--they will not grow again.
No you can't split them as far as I know and there are no other options except overwintering them indoors or pitching them

o

I guess it depends on how much trouble you want to go to in order to save $20-25.00.

Personally, I think by the time you pot them up to put in the house, risk spreading some type of bug to any houseplants you may have.........

I'd just compost or pitch them and buy new in the spring.

o

Sometimes it's just the challenge of seeing if you could do it. If you have the room for them, go for it. :)

o

Hi Fillagirl,

I was thinking the exact same thing this fall... I bought a half dozen or so 'spikes' from Extra Foods last spring and they were very large... now they are a very nice size and was thinking of trying to save a few of them, though it does take alot of room... I have to make up my mind soon, as the forecast is calling for Minus 6 in a few days.. seems alittle too cold though, hope that's not going to happen...

Rob

o

I'm thinking that I will bring one in for the winter and see what happens. The rest are going into the compost, but not until after Halloween.

I am going to try and incorporate the rest into some sort of Halloween decoration...got to think about how I will do that....any ideas???

o

I'm not sure we are talking about the same spikes but, I have saved them over the winter for about 15 years or more.
Before they freeze I dig them up and cut off the top green, then plant the rest next to the basement wall on the "South" side of the house. Then I cover them with about 12" of "Chopped" leaves from the yard. In the spring, when it starts to warm up, they will pop up thru the leaves. I water them. If we get a cold night I cover them so, they don't freeze. We live in the Upper Peninsula of Michigan so, we get -30 below at times. I do lose some of them but, most survive.
I also do this with our vinca vines. Have also had begonia flowers covered which have also survived.
Good Luck

o

• Posted by glen3a Winnipeg MB 3A (My Page) on
    Sun, Oct 14, 12 at 21:42

I love the newer types with the reddish leaves. They would probably make a decent houseplant. They are actually a type of cordyline/dracaena and are similar to the 'Madagascar dragon tree' houseplant, though with thicker stiffer leaves. I am like you, I can't save everything but feel a bit sorry to just let frost get them. I have a few plants in the shed (get a bit of light through the windows) that I'm debating on bringing in.

o

I am going to try what Garry 1968 did....cut the tops off, plant them close to the house, and cover them with mulch. Nothing ventured, nothing gained...

o

Gary1968 gives good advice about utilizing the warm zone next to the foundation. Previous to having a coldroom or attached garage, I would often bury tender plants against the foundation for the winter.

o

• Posted by RpR_ 3-4 (My Page) on
    Tue, Oct 16, 12 at 17:16

My sig. other takes a similar plant in the basement and keeps them alive under a grow light.

The basement looks like a jungle over the winter.

o

I have a large bronze draceana.The top has died off but I now have 3 "babies" coming from the base of the stalk. I cut the dead stalk back. Should I just let it be or can I split the stalk & divide them this summer?

o

The dracaenas I've grown produced basal shoots that were still dependent on the trunk, and definitely shared roots. It could work but my first thought would be no.

o

Hello all I live in eastern Washington zone 8b?. Early this spring I purchased ($70.00) a spike (dracaena) that stood about 6ft it's now closer to 8ft. With help from my husband we moved it into the garage a couple of weeks ago. It's in a large pot and faces a window that gets terrific light. I've wrapped the base of the plant up about 2 feet in a medium weight burlap. It looks great. I've become quite fond of the thing and just can't bring myself to pitch it in the compost pile :/ Hope for the best :D.
This is just a wonderful blog so glad I found it, green thumbs up to all.
Joan

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Far North Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here