Fall in splendid...

Krazulya pear

Comments (58)

• Konrad___far_north
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thank you all!
    Nice color of that burning bush Collin!
    We had hard frost at the same time over a month ago, around minus 5 to 6C.
    Fall color could be allot better if it didn't go down that much, some never did get much or none, was missing out on amur maple and pin cherry mostly. About half of the apple leaves dropped without color, just brown, [at the westerly slope] the rest looked pretty good.
    Evans Cherry did also good.
    weeper, not all pears are the same, ...find most of the sour pears, [like David and John] have better fall color then the rest, this Krazulya, [Russian] is a exception.

Evans with bee hives, [winterized]

• Konrad___far_north
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Most all Saskatoon's don't put on any red color, this one I'm testing, grafted this spring, not sure which but possibly Ballerina, put on nice color.

• Konrad___far_north
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Second best of the Saskatoon was Altaglow,..also graft from this spring.

• Konrad___far_north
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Apples done much better at the easterly slope.

• Konrad___far_north
    Original Author
    9 years ago

This is a little Capilano apricot seedling, funny how they're all different.

• Konrad___far_north
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Looking down the nursery.

• don555
    9 years ago

You've got some great fall colours there! Especially like the variegated pear leaf in the photos from Oct. 11. Your Evans are so far ahead of mine -- mine is 90% or more green, with just the branch tips showing colour.

I'll add Juliet Cherry bush, taken Oct. 14:

• Konrad___far_north
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thank you Don!
    Looking good, please, [all of you] post other good color UOS cherries.. or whatever else you might like.
    How did sugar maple fair with the early cold snap? Think you have some kind of a similar seedling.

• beegood_gw
    9 years ago

Beautiful pictures Konrad. Lucky you got them before they all fell. Love the pear with the weird color pattern. I shud say pretty not weird.

• weeper_11
    9 years ago

Bah, I should have looked again on this post earlier. My U of S cherries all turned nice colors, but we got a bunch of wind and they've dropped almost all of them. Whoops. They turned a nice orange-y color with red blushing. My Pembina plum has been a gorgeous bright red color this year and last year, but for some bizarre reason it has not really been growing since I planted it, and last year suffered a bunch of die back, so there weren't a lot of leaves to begin with. I'm beginning to wonder if I didn't tease the roots out well enough when I planted or something.

My 'Fall Red' apple was also a pretty orange-yellow with red blush.

Konrad, what do you use sour pears for? Obviously I haven't looked into pears very well, because I haven't ever heard of them! I'm mainly familiar with Ure and Early Gold, ones like that. I imagine they'd still be good for processing?

• Konrad___far_north
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thank you all!
    The sour pears I juice up,..on it's own it taste pretty good but lots of times I mix into apple juice.
    Yes, Pembina plum does color up nicely, not sure why yours sit like that, perhaps needs some fertilizing, you can put some bonemeal on now, it takes a long time to break down. In spring some manure or water soluble. I don think it has anything to do with not spreading the root-ball. I've planted root-bound trees and they did good.

• weeper_11
    9 years ago

Konrad, are your apple tree trunks painted? To prevent cracking? I haven't done that before but I'm wondering if I should. I haven't seen any cracking yet, but my trees are only 2 years old.

I have some bonemeal, I'll try the fertilizing and give it a good fall watering.

• Konrad___far_north
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Yes, latex diluted with water so the pump sprayer can handle it, not in town where the sun doesn't hit them all day. It does help against sun scolding, white helps to slow down/delay pulling sap early spring, ...thus reducing the risk of freeze thaw cracks.

• marciaz3 Tropical 3 Northwestern Ontario
    9 years ago

Some fall colour in my yard - not fruits, though. :)

Delicata. I think the only thing "delicata" about it is its scent.

Coppertina Ninebark - pretty much its all-year colour:

Purple Leaf Sand Cherry. I know i keep saying it's going to get shovel-pruned but i never get around to it. And it is pretty.

Silver Leaf Dogwood:

Therese Bugnet:

Viburnum mohican:

Calendula:

A lone Shirley poppy:

Some scary leaf bags!

• Konrad___far_north
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Lovely!
    We sure appreciate this nice weather and plants holding out!

Tonight the neighbors Mountain Ash was on fire!

9 years ago

Love that shot, Konrad! I've seen this so often and wished to get a picture but i think i need a better camera! :)

• SouthCountryGuy Zone 4b-5 SE BC
    9 years ago

Great pics Marciaz3 and konrad!

Marcia you just need a new iPhone as they really take good pictures now.

SCG

9 years ago

My daughter has an iPhone and it does take great pictures. She never uses her camera anymore. I won't bother with upgrading my phone until we have better service here - no point in it. :)

• Konrad___far_north
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thank you all!

I do lots with iPhone but this was done with my little pocket camera,..still better.

• Konrad___far_north
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Just loved some of the pictures my wife took from Oct. 12
    Canon powershot.

• Konrad___far_north
    Original Author
    9 years ago

second..

• Konrad___far_north
    Original Author
    9 years ago

3rd...Evans cherries.

9 years ago

I am feverishly clearing lots of huge pine trees to make room for some gorgeous trees like you folks have. Hopefully in a few years I can start planting.

Keep the nice pics a'comin!

SCG

• Konrad___far_north
    Original Author
    9 years ago

But...just a little easy on that chain saw, it takes more then a live time to replace a huge pine.

9 years ago

It does Konrad, but they are over mature and becoming targets for pine beetle which then make the trees a safety hazard. Plus the huge over mature trees don't have a deep enough root system and are starting to blow over. So much so that most people around here are doing the same as I am but for me it also opens it up to plant more.

The pine beetle got into another 4 this year that are very close to my house. It is scary because I can't afford to remove them till next year, it adds up fast at $400/tree and I have already done 7 this year.

SCG

• wayne
    9 years ago

Here is a bit of color that is left in my yard, Roseraie de L'Hay

• wayne
    9 years ago

Carmine Jewel

• wayne
    9 years ago

Purple Leaf Sand Cherry, dies back every winter.

• wayne
    9 years ago

A Red Oak, not sure which one, died back last winter. It is with a Nanking Cherry.

9 years ago

Your PLSC is a lot nicer than mine. It dies back every year and rarely grows above 3 - 3 1/2 feet in the summer. I now have PLSC envy. >:( LOL

• wayne
    9 years ago

Marcia, every year the main stem gets bigger and it puts out more branches off the stubs that survive. It is a challenge to get in close to the live parts of the plant when pruning. There is another plant beside this one that is much more exposed that is half the size but does get larger each year. So far they have only had a few flowers and no fruit.

• Konrad___far_north
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I got rid of my PLSC about 10 years ago simply because I got tired of cleaning up dead wood.

9 years ago

Mine has never flowered. Probably not an ideal location for it, but I don't think i'll ever dig it out. One never knows, though.

• Konrad___far_north
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Highbush Cranberry has good color when low temp. is just little below freezing,..didn't happen this year.
    Picture from another year.

• jessica4b
    8 years ago

Hi Konrad! So interesting to read your posts. I am interested in purchasing a krazulya pear tree. Do you get many fruits from yours... And could you describe the taste / are they worth growing tastewise? Thanks!!

• Konrad..just outside of Edmonton Alberta
    8 years ago

You might have a closer source,...http://www.hardyfruittrees.ca/catalog/pear-tree/krazulya-pear-tree-developed-in-russia-hardy-zone-3a

I'm just a hobby nursery and don't have much but Krazulya I have some,..let me know. I don't get too many on this small tree but they're a early good tasting pear.

• jessica4b
    8 years ago

Hi again! That's actually the place I was planning to purchase from (hardyfruittrees). Thanks for the info! Gorgeous pics btw.

• ostrich
    8 years ago

Wow! Konrad I must have missed this thread last year! Very, very lovely indeed - thank you!

How come everything is just turning YELLOW and that's it in Calgary!? LOL

• wayne
    8 years ago

First colors of fall for me, Ohio Buckeye

8 years ago

Nice..is it producing nuts already?

• ostrich
    8 years ago

Wayne, that Ohio Buckeye is amazing! I hope that mine will have that brilliant colour, too...

• wayne
    8 years ago

Yes Konrad, last year it had a few, this year they all dropped, it was freezing on and off when it was flowering, my species tree had a few that where developing but some curious youngsters broke that branch. Will have to what for next year. Ostrich this is a cultivar but I am not sure which one because it was mislabelled. If we get a good frost the leaves will all drop in a very short period of time.

7 years ago

Another year for good color since the cold comes slow...some of the Capilano seedlings turning now...

and pears...

• prairie_northrose (3b north of Calgary AB, Canada)
    7 years ago

Looks gorgeous Konrad! Healthy looking caterpillar too. :)

Here is a fall pic from yesterday evening:

7 years ago

That caterpillar, Polyphemus I think, [Alberta largest moth] is late making a cocoon, I put him in a box..will see. Looks like you still got LOTS of flowers going!

7 years ago

Amur maple starting..

Pear leaf

• Greg- Brandon, Manitoba. Zone 3a
    7 years ago

Top picture is a seedless grape that I have. It isn't the most hardy or productive but turns a wonderful red/orange on the falll. I do lay it on the ground in the fall. It ripens consistently in late aug.. and tastes like sweet concord grapes( very grapes). Darn birds and hornets know when it is ripe every year. The bottom photo is of a northern pin Oak called shooting star. Colours up every year. Is about 10yrs old and now produces acorns.

• wayne
    7 years ago

Very nice color on the Oak, I'll have to check into that one, it's even Prairie hardy recommended for all of the prairies.

• FrozeBudd_z3/4
    7 years ago

Pin oaks are beautiful trees and I'm beginning to see some planted here in my region.

Sponsored
Land & Water Design
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars30 Reviews
VA's Modern & Intentional Outdoor Living Spaces | 16x Best of Houzz