Return to the Far North Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
hummingbirds

Posted by marric Z5a Ontario (My Page) on
Thu, Oct 20, 11 at 14:10

I heard a light thump against the window, then again and again. I looked up to see what it was and there were 2 hummers trying to get in. The diningroom window is straight across from the kitchen window and I guess they could see right thru and thought they could fly thru! It didn't work so they left. The dogs wanted out but I went out first and checked that there were no hummers lying dazed on the ground. Who would have thought hummers at this time of year. Wouldn't have believed it if I hadn't seen it with my own eyes! Marg

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: hummingbirds

We have the same problem with the windows. I have to keep the blinds partially closed in the summer. If I don't, I get birds running into the window every few days.

Do you get a lot of hummingbirds? I have yet to see one, although I'm told we have them. I suppose it would help if I had a feeder. =:)

o

• Posted by marric Z5a Ontario (My Page) on
    Sat, Oct 22, 11 at 12:07

That's the strange part. We seldom get any. We had one early summer and it flew straight at my SIL! Scared the heck out of her. Since then we haven't had any so seeing 2 of them now was really weird. I think they have specific travel routes they take -- guess we're not on it. Marg

o

We always have at least one pair here. It would be fun to have two pairs because they're so competetive. Fun enough when the babies are big enough to fight and chase each other! Once there was one who hit the window and i went out to retrieve it. We weren't sure if it was dead or alive and i was holding it in my hand stroking it when it started to come to. It flew right at my son! Not sure why they do that, but he was scared too! We still laugh about that sometime. :)

We also get birds hitting the windows here but since our windows face south, we have the blinds closed or partly closed most of the summer anyway.

Summer.... sigh....

o

• Posted by marric Z5a Ontario (My Page) on
    Sat, Oct 22, 11 at 18:01

Marcia, we had birds flying into our windows to so we went out and bought some reflective decals. They are clear and are reflective when the sun hits them. That warns the birds to stay away. Guess I need to replace them since the hummers obviously didn't see it. We don't get hummers often but they are nice to watch when we do get them. Marg

o

Marg, the hummers might be in the process of migrating and attracted to your flowers. Not sure how much frost you've had there but if you have any of the tubular flowers that they like, they need a lot of energy to keep going especially when it's cold.

I have seen them in my yard a couple of times but mostly they seem to be shy of cities. I used to get them at my cannas but I haven't grown them for a couple of years.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Far North Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here