Return to the Far North Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Overwintering Praying Mantid

Posted by marric Z5a Ontario (My Page) on
Mon, Oct 18, 10 at 14:24

This guy was hanging onto our patio door screen for the past few days. At least he was smart enough to get between the screen and the glass door keeping him safe from birds. Do you think he or she wants a place to spend the winter?

Photobucket

Photobucket

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Overwintering Praying Mantid

Cool. I would pick it off and put it in some fallen leaves. That way it can find a place to overwinter. It'll probably die if it stays stuck in your door.

o

I've never seen a real praying mantis.

Do you have them in your area all the time, or is this just a "stray"?

o

• Posted by marric Z5a Ontario (My Page) on
    Tue, Oct 19, 10 at 8:16

We've lived here 3 years and I've seen several over the years. They've mostly been spotted on the south patio tho. I looked this morning and he's gone, probably into the garden which is only about 15' away. I'm going to watch and see if he comes back and if he does I will take him to the south patio. We had placed some large stones there and I think some of them may be overwintering there. I just read an article about them on the DG newsletter I get. Apparently they don't live as long as I thought.

o

Marric - What's the DG newsletter ?

o

• Posted by marric Z5a Ontario (My Page) on
    Wed, Oct 20, 10 at 8:00

DG stands for Daves Garden. The newsletter is free to anyone. I tried to post a link but Garden Web won't let me.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Far North Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here