Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
marricgardens

Sauerkraut in a jar

marricgardens
11 years ago

Anyone have a recipe for making saurkraut in jars? My neighbour is bringing me a large head of cabbage and I want to make some. I've never made kraut before but DH wants it so I'm going to try. Marg

Comments (8)

• CLBlakey
    11 years ago

I just called my mom for instructions for you. To make kraut in an ice cream bucket. So here goes.

ingredients

1 large head of cabbage
    1/4 cup of salt

Wash and core cabbage. Shred into thin strips. Place 2 inches deep into ice cream bucket then sprinkle on 1 tbsp of salt. punch down with fist. Then add another 2 inches of cabbage and another tablespoon salt punch down again (this helps cabbage release its juices) keep layering cabbage and salt punching down each layer. Cover with cheese cloth then a small plate to hold cabbage down(you may need to weight the plate) into its juices you don't want the cabbage to float. There may not be lots of juice the first day or so but it will come. Each day punch down the cabbage and if there is froth on top rinse out the cheese cloth. Do this for 14 days. After the 14 days you can freeze your saurkraut in plastic baggies or can it.

If something is not clear just ask :D

• CLBlakey
    11 years ago

if you don't have 2 inches for each layer don't worry so long as it is all well mixed and punched down.

• Slimy_Okra
    11 years ago

Also to add to what she said above, I think (but I could be wrong) that the best temperature to do this at is around 16-18 degrees. Above 21 degrees, you get soft sauerkraut.

• marricgardens
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks for the instructions D. and also for the temp. tip SO. We keep our house at about 19 but we have a cooler room so should have no problem. Marg

• glen3a
    11 years ago

That's something I would like to try one of these days. My sister in law used a food grade pail in the cool basement. Other than that, it sounds quite similar with the plate and the cheese cloth. My niece and nephew (all grown up now) joke that they would never have friends over when their Mom was making sauerkraut due to the smell in the basement.

• RpR_
    11 years ago

You can do it right in a jar.

First cut and mix the cabbage with any spices you may want if you do.
    Stir it,let it set and stir it again.

Pack it into a quart, or larger or smaller, jar.
    Fill it with distilled water using at least one teaspoon but not more than two.
    Set a loose lid on top and set the jars in a container for liquid overflow.
    Keep between sixty five and seventy degrees F. for two to four weeks or when bubbling stops.
    Fill with water if necessary, removing any white scum, seal it and store it in a cool basement.

• RpR_
    11 years ago

Where I say teaspoon above I am speaking of salt.
    Sorry for confusion.

• CLBlakey
    11 years ago

salt removes the water from the cabbage therefore eliminating the need for water. It should make its own juice.

Sponsored
SURROUNDS Landscape Architecture + Construction
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars10 Reviews
DC Area's High-End Custom Landscape Design/Build Firm 9x Best of Houzz