Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
marricgardens

small shrub needed

marricgardens
11 years ago

I have put somewagon wheels i the middle of my daylily bed. I thought I would plant a few perennials in between the wheels and a shrub on each side. There's about 5' between the wheels. I realize I would need a smaller shrub that doesn't spread to much. Variegated foliage would be nice but not absolutely necessary. The shrub should get no tall or wider than 3'. The plants I plan to put inside are R. Prairie Sun, a short blue delpinium in the back and Royal Wave Campanula and a pink Veronica in the front. Any suggestion for the shrub, blue delphinium (4') and the pink Veronica would be appreciated. Thanks. Marg

Comments (15)

• marciaz3 Tropical 3 Northwestern Ontario
    11 years ago

A friend of mine has something like that and she's using ornamental grasses there. Looks really nice!

• User
    11 years ago

I was going to leave this for the plant pro's but I love burning bush and lilacs but they might over power your wheels.

• nutsaboutflowers
    11 years ago

I really like my Blue Fox Willow when it sways in the wind.

I also think that the color of it is a nice contrast.

Could you possibly move everything to the left a bit first? Your neighbour's house is a little off center, LOL !

• northspruce
    11 years ago

I'd use a weigela. Or maybe a nice small euonymus. You'd have more choice in euonymus than us, in your zone.

• FrozeBudd_z3/4
    11 years ago

The compact growing acer ginnala 'Fireball' would look great set to one of the sides ... or behind and off center to the middle of the wheels.

• marricgardens
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Marcia: I had thought of a blue grass, possibly a pennisetum to put on each side. I'm open to suggestions about types of grasses that aren't invasive. I have lots of miscanthes but those get to big and tall so I'm looking for something else.

CLB: We're on a farm and I already have lots of Burning bushes and lilacs. Good suggestions though.

NAF: I never thought about willows. I'll have to look into that. BTW, that neighbour has already proven she doesn't want to be friends with anybody so I won't be asking her.

Northspruce: I have a few Weigela and every winter the rabbits & moles do a number on them. I cage them (the bushes not the rabbits) but that doesn't seem to help. The snow piles up on them and then forms a tunnel down the stem. I can just picture the rabbits/moles sliding down going 'Wheeeee'.

twrosz: I really don't want an more trees in there but if that's a small one it might be good. I couldn't find a picture, lots of info but no pic. Does that maple have lots of keys and you're constantly pulling out seedlings? Do you have a pic or know where I can find one?

Whatever I plant there will have to look good with the daylilies. Thanks for the suggestions. Marg

• marciaz3 Tropical 3 Northwestern Ontario
    11 years ago

I don't know what kinds of grasses my friend uses. I'm sure if you research some that are hardy in your zone, you'll find some that aren't invasive. I have Karl Forester and it has been fine. Of course, how would i know? I'm always pulling grass from my gardens so there could possibly be little Karl Jrs trying to grow!

• marricgardens
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I did search for some grasses and I think Panicum 'Heavy Metal' would look nice (so much for the shrub idea!) It's a blue/green and grows erect plus it's not to spreading. Marg

• north53 Z2b MB
    11 years ago

Karl Forester is a clumping grass and from what I've read the seed is sterile. I love that grass for its all season interest. It is our wind barometer during the winter.
    Have fun planning your new bed.

• spiderjoe
    11 years ago

I'd plant a varigated yucca on each side of the wheel. Then plant a group of three grasses in the centre. Make it look like a dry river bed is running through the centre of the wheel, with stone of different sizes.

You could also plant a varigated euonymus on each side of the wheel because the euonymus would eventually climb up the wheel. or plant Daphne x. Burkwoodii �Carol Mackie� in place of the euonymus.

• luckynes13
    11 years ago

How about some wormwood absimthium it is small the first year, but the second year wow. It is silver grey. One of my favorite plants. It is used a lot in garden design.

• celtic_07
    11 years ago

Marg- what about baptist- blue/green foliage and the blue flowers. Apparently there are some new varieties that are in the pinks and yellow flowers. What did you decide on Lois

• marricgardens
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I have decided to move a few of my existing plants in there for now until I decide what shrub would be best. The plants I want to move over there are Forever Violet reblooming dwarf iris, Royal Wave Campanula (stays small about 3" and is not invasive). I have a Golden Tiara hosta which does very well in full sun so I may move it out there. I would like to find a Veronica, about 3', and a short blue Delph. about 4'. Another thought was to plant a shrubby clematis outide each wheel and let them climb on the wheel. Any thoughts? Am I overplanting the area? Marg

• Konrad___far_north
    11 years ago

Looking at my shrubs...
    High bush cranberry is trouble free to me, nice green leaves with good fall color..

Honey bee shrub
    {{gwi:66204}}

• marricgardens
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Konrad: when we started gardening here, we planted several viburnums, none have survived - Highbush Cranberry was one of them. They are lovely bushes though. I like your moose friend. Marg