Getting a last bit of sun

Posted by beegood Zone 3 Alberta (My Page) on
Fri, Oct 25, 13 at 16:14

Still too warm to go to sleep
 photo NEWLens21oct2013003_zps6e3beb5b.jpg

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Getting a last bit of sun

Nice,..hope they make the winter, mine all died last.

o

• Posted by beegood Zone 3 Alberta (My Page) on
    Fri, Oct 25, 13 at 22:22

So sorry to hear that Konrad. You lost all your bees.? Did you get a few more hives going this year?. I sure do hope mine make it. Seem pretty strong but I guess one never knows.

o

Yes,..first time in 8 years, got two packages this spring,..installed 2 queen cells with bees from package, then captured 2 of my own swarms,..back to 6 hives now.

o

Good for you. I'm sure this won't happen 2 years in a row. Bees aren't cheap anymore for sure. And to think they used to kill off the hives in the fall. What a waste.

o

Yes,..I've been fortunate for many years, European Honeybees are very fragile creatures, it was my negligence not to treat for varroa mites for several years, I know they had varroa but not to the level for treatment,..guess found out the hard way that without treatment they're doomed.
I'm still doing less treatment then commercial keepers,..this is my aim as a hobby keeper.

You've been starting over too in spring,..how is your survival rate?

o

Yes I have had my problems. One year the bees from about 1/2 mile down the road came and totally robbed my hive no matter what I tried and then last year the wasps and yellow jackets moved in. Not good to have only one hive but that's enuff for me to handle. This years hive seems to be doing good . So far very happy with them. They are also a very gentle bunch of bees. So here's hoping they do OK. PS If you ever hear of anyone selling shallow supers let me know OK Tried KIJIJI and got no response.

o

Will keep my eyes and ear open.
Yesterday I squished a bunch of yellow jackets at the hives trying to get in, some do get in, a strong hive can defend pretty good with the entrance reducer on...I see you do. Hope today all yellow jackets freeze to dead,..what a temperature change!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Far North Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here