Return to the Far North Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Hydrangea paniculata �Unique� (Panicle hydrangea)

Posted by robert24_gardner 2B (My Page) on
Sun, Oct 14, 12 at 16:34

Can anyone tell me if this plant should be cut back before winter sets in? I know it is advisable to protect it with mulch during the winter but the articles I found on pruning are quit confussing

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Hydrangea paniculata 'Unique' (Panicle hydrangea)

I'm not aware of how hardy this particular variety is ... though, to be on the safe side, I'd wait until the ground is pretty much about to freeze and then hill it up well with dry peat moss or even just garden soil. Shovel snow upon it as soon as it arrives and hopefully before bitter cold has set in. Leave the trimming to spring when you can see just how much live wood has made it through.

I've seen varieties such as 'Limelight' with varying amounts of winter dieback and it still blooms well on new wood.

o
RE: Hydrangea paniculata �Unique� (Panicle hydrangea)

Technically speaking your to cut them back in the spring. Two buds from the ground. I like to cut them back in the fall because I'm in Ontario and we get fairly mild winters.

But, the only probelm with cutting them back in the fall is if you get a severe winter the plant will suffer dieback and you way lose the plant.

In your region i would cut back 1/3 of the top growth, in the fall. Just to clean up the plant. Then wait until spring to do a severe pruning.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Far North Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here