Return to the Far North Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Strawberry Patch

Posted by nutsaboutflowers 2b/3a (My Page) on
Tue, Oct 16, 12 at 16:47

I have a small 4 x 4 strawberry patch that even produced a beautiful big bowl of fruit to pick on October 5th.

I'm wondering if anyone cleans up their patch by trimming down the plants. With the wet summers we've had, and then a hot and humid one, I was thinking a good cleanup to prevent fungus growth would be a good idea.

Would the plants survive? When I was a kid we had a huge strawberry patch and we never did anything to it, at least not that I'm aware of anyway.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Strawberry Patch

I used to grow some but due to high maintenance I gave up.
Perhaps there is some low maintenance out there you're talking about? Oh...I do have some wild little one's.
I find for regular good production, new shoots should be planted because the main plant will give out after about 2 season.
You might be good to clean them out now or leave them alone till spring.

o

• Posted by mytime 3/4 Alaska (My Page) on
    Sun, Oct 21, 12 at 13:26

Count me among the ones with totally carefree strawberry plants that get (and require) no maintenance. I have read that many people just mow their plants down every fall, so I see no reason you couldn't trim yours down, nutsaboutflowers.

o

Oops. I see I wrote 4x4 which some of you may have thought was a strawberry patch made out of 4x4 posts. I meant to put 4'x 4', so it's a small patch, and within an 8" cedar raised bed. Not much maintenance for a tiny spot.

I still haven't finished the rest of my fall cleanup and the forecast isn't looking good, so I guess the strawberry plants may or may not have to wait until spring. Good to know it probably doesn't matter one way or the other.

Thanks everyone for your input =:)

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Far North Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here