Return to the Far North Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Mail order perennials

Posted by honalee 3a (My Page) on
Thu, Oct 16, 08 at 16:50

Jusr wondering if anyone has had any experience with ordering fall planted perennials from Spring Garden?
Positive or negative

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Mail order perennials

Don't do it! Just about anywhere you read about Spring Gardens, it's a negative. Botanus has been the best experience for me. I won't order plants from Dominion Seed House, and i'm iffy on Vesey's. This spring i ordered from Floral and Hardy - excellent service and great plants.

o

Thanks but too late. I am still waiting for my fall order and have been given the run around for over a month! Will not make that mistake again. I have always had good service from Botanus and I agree, Vessy's is a bit iffy. Ferncliff is excellent and Dominion....well, so far they have been reasonably satisfactory although plants are small. Bulbs OK.I'll have to check out Floral and Hardy.
Thanks again. I've learned this one first time!
Virginia

o

Well, we learn by experience! I ordered from them when they were still Rockwood Gardens. Of all the plants i ordered, only the phlox are still around. I think part of that was my inexperience with plants, though. I do remember that some of what i was planting looked like nothing and turned out to be nothing.

Vesey's plants are mostly okay, though some have been small and last year's bulbs were pitiful, but they often send things way too late for this area. I've had to plant tulips in frozen ground, and much of what i've gotten has never made it through the winter.

o

Hopefully you paid with plastic--debit or credit. Document the run around, then contact your card issuer and file a dispute. You'll probably get your money back.

o

There are many good mail order companies for perennials, but you have to do your research first.
Here's a good site where you can check and also make positive comments if you wish.
http://davesgarden.com/products/gwd/

Like Marcia, I've had good results with Floral and Hardy.
But I've made my share of mistakes along the way. So don't feel bad. Always be suspect of the companies that send out the glossiest catalogues.
The internet is your best resource, IMO.

o
Nutsaboutflowers Re Mail Order Catalogues

Nutsaboutflowers, I asked the same question about Spring Garden last fall and this is the response I got.

Ginny

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Far North Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here