Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ginny_mclean_petite_garden

My monster squirrel

I have had problems with squirrels for as long as I can remember. They love to dig up my bulbs and stash them wherever they are calling home. Apparently in my neighbours birdhouses.....and my BBQ!Anyway, I tried planting the bulbs in baby powder, dipping them in bleach, and covering with wire or gravel or whatever. The little stinkers still get them! So I decided to beat them at their own game and start feeding them with things much more appetizing than spring bulbs. Now they leave my bulbs alone but have created a new problem.....for the birds.

Everytime I go out to fill the lasagna dish with seed and peanuts for the birds (and the squirrel) this little monster fills the dish with pinecones and then guards his stash with his life! He literally pounces on the birds and chases them through the trees. Up and down the fence and sits in the tree above watching! It is quite commical especially when the jays and maggies swoop down and throw the cones out all over the place. :) Nature never ceases to amuse me. A couple of pics tell part of the story.

Ginny

Comments (6)