Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
nutsaboutflowers

Garden Update

nutsaboutflowers
13 years ago

You know people will think you're crazy when, on October 3rd:

- You're watering your marigolds because there's still blooms and the foliage is still really nice.

- You continue to deadhead petunias because you just can't part with the beautiful blooms you're still getting.

- You keep waiting and hoping for more strawberries to ripen.

- You can't bring yourself to pull out the impatiens just in case you get one more bloom.

- You're thrilled and saddened at the same time when you find a new marigold seedling about to bloom and peas coming up. They don't know it's the wrong time of year.

Am I the only crazy one ??

Comments (7)

• DrHorticulture_
    13 years ago

You're not crazy! October is still very much gardening season. The sensitive crops are mostly gone, but there are so many hardy plants that are still in their prime, as you pointed out. This nice weather helps too. My kale, snowball turnips and bok choy are growing well. I'm going to put row cover on them when real fall weather arrives. We have a short season in the Prairies, so squeeze what you can out of it.

• marciaz3 Tropical 3 Northwestern Ontario
    13 years ago

How about when you rescue two geraniums from somewhere that was cold-heartedly ripping blooming flowers from their containers? :(

• northspruce
    13 years ago

I was doing a little clean-up today and my cosmos looks really incredible right now! I thought the bloom was a little sparse during the summer but it's really going now. Also those striped asters I was worried about are in full bloom - not sure if they'll have time to set seeds but they look great. I've still got the tail end of the obedient plants, nasturtiums, lobelia and scabiosa; and some frost-bitten roses.

• nutsaboutflowers
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Well, 10 days later and..........

- A beautiful butterfly was enjoying my marigolds today. There's still quite a few blooms.

- I'm still deadheading my petunias. They look great!

- I got 2 more ripe strawberries yesterday.

- There's 4 new blooms on the impatiens.

- My marigold seedling bloomed and I have more peas coming up.

- My geraniums still have lots of beautiful blooms.

- My bacopa is blooming for the first time.

- I have 3 new blooms on one of my Stellas.

- The snapdragons are blooming like crazy.

- I have about 20 or so new blooms on my lavatera even though it's trying to go to seed.

- My gallardia look better than ever with lots of blooms.

- The johnny jump-ups are beautiful as usual.

- My roses are almost done.

- Two of the gladiolas are still blooming.

- The Veronica Royal Candles Speedwell ( I think that's the right order) that I planted last month is trying to bloom. That's probably not a good thing.

- Out of the 7 fall mums I bought, only 3 look better than my summer annuals that are left. Go figure.

How about everyone else? What's still going on in your garden?

• marciaz3 Tropical 3 Northwestern Ontario
    13 years ago

Not much here. We've had a few frosts and all the annuals except the nicotiana are toast. They're up against the house so they're still blooming, but i don't think i'll get seeds from them. My heliopsis has been blooming for months and so has the malva. The best, though, is Hawkeye Belle - she's beautiful right now! This pic isn't that great, but i've taken the browning blooms off and it looks a lot nicer:

• weeper_11
    13 years ago

I kind of threw in the towel early this year, because I've been hand-digging a couple hundred holes for PFRA trees coming next spring, and I've been putting quite a few hours in riding a young horse I bought.

If I had deadheaded and continued to water, tons of things would still be blooming. This year I stopped watering at the beginning of August, so the only things still going are:
    - my asters are going nuts. I just love them. They are so bright, they are pretty much florescent! I wish I had more fall flowers to compliment them.
    - Goldstrum rudbeckia(sp?)
    - delphiniums sending up rebloom spikes
    - mums
    - veronica and salvia are still putting up the occasional spike
    - peachleaf bellflower
    - solidago
    - stella d'oro daylily

Everything else has pretty well given up. My hen and chicks, and especially my angelina sedum look fabulous right now...I think fall is probably their best season.

• nutsaboutflowers
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Well, my garden is looking a little sadder now:

I pulled up the marigolds, geraniums, bacopa, and osteospermum yesterday and threw away two of the fall mums.

My petunias still look pretty darn good =:)

The gladiolas are done and I have to decide if I'll keep them or toss them.

The Johnny Jump-Ups are making me smile. They're just so wonderful.

My roses are done and I'm hoping they'll be dormant before the four letter s word comes. They have a few new bits of growth on them =:(

The Stellas are also done and seem to be putting themselves to bed in preparation for the w word.

The Mandevilla vines are still blooming like crazy. I have the pot in my garden cart and haul them into the garage every night. I just can't bear to let those blooms go.

My gallardia still has some nice blooms, but I think it'll be done in the next few days.

I gathered some seeds from the lavatera and threw them around, as there's only a few blooms left so they'll be toast pretty soon, too.

The new Veronica has stopped putting on new growth so I'm hoping it'll survive until next year.

The 13 new daylilies are getting ready for the w word, so I'm confident they'll be back next year. I think they're tough enough to take all this crazy weather we've had.

Anyone else got much left or going on in their garden?

Sponsored
Peabody Landscape Group
Average rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Franklin County's Reliable Landscape Design & Contracting