Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
crazy_gardener

Far North Gardeners Roll Call

Crazy_Gardener
19 years ago

I've gotten to know some of you regulars here and Im sure theyÂre must be many lurkers reading along. So since we have such a long winter ahead of us, hereÂs a chance to get to know one another.

Please note, that you donÂt have to answer all the questions if you donÂt want to. And please note to add any other questions if its not added.

GW Name - Crazy Gardener

What does your GW name stand for?

ThatÂs easy; IÂm crazy about gardening.

Real Name - Sharon

Age - 43

Companion - common law hubby, 11 years

Children? Grandchildren? None

Pets?

Golden Retriever, Silver Lynx Persian, Chocolate Point Siamese and 24 chickens. We used to bored horses but it was way too much work. I'm trying to coax hubby in getting some Lama's next year.

Where do you live or used to live?

Wainwright, Alberta, Canada (4yrs) Saskatoon, Saskatchewan (39yrs).

Zone? 2b (according to the Canadian Zone Map)

Do you work?

Yes, IÂm a PCA in a nursing auxiliary (part-time) but work full-time hours! IÂm also going to be taking a shop steward course next month. (Shaking my head). Been in the nursing field since 1985.

Companion Occupation?

Machinist, thatÂs why we moved out here, he makes parts for the oilrigs.

Other hobbies besides gardening?

Gardening is my #1 pastime, but I also like to walk, bird watch and collect antiques. Hubby and I also like to ride the Harley ;)

How long have you been gardening?

In the vast gardens of my granny and parents since I was of a weed-pulling age  say 7 years old. In my own garden since 1983.

Where is your garden located and what is its size?

I live on a 20-acre acreage on the prairies. I garden perhaps 5 acres, the rest is corrals and pastures. ItÂs a challenge gardening out here in the open, high winds, wildlife, weeds and lack of shelter which makes it not easy at times. But I manage to deal with it.

Courses in Horticulture?

No, in all my gardening years, I have learned by experimenting.

What are your specialities in gardening?

I love starting plants by seed and growing hardy roses.

Favorite Flower? Rose

Favorite Tree/Shrub?

ÂThunderchild Ornamental Crabapple and Lilacs

What has been the best-performing plant/plants in your gardens?

Many but I would have to say Explorer roses and delphiniums.

Most Challenging Plant?

The things that die! I won't give up till I've tried it 3 times. Like Bee Balm, IÂm giving it one more chance. There have been quite a few that have survived and some that have died in my zone 2b garden. I use the error and trial method, if it dies, plant it again, if it dies again, plant it again maybe in a different spot, different requirments, if it dies again, plant something else. I really, really want Bee Balm in this garden; I remember how beautifully they grew in my Saskatoon garden.

Favorite Gardening Quote?

"Gardening soothes the soul & soil"

Favorite Garden Magazines?

Gardens West, Canadian Gardening and The Prairie Gardener.

Favorite Garden Books or resources?

Lois Holes series, A-Z Encyclopedia of Garden Plants and Sara Williams Creating Prairie Xeriscape.

What is your favorite tool?

My lit' Mantis Tiller!

What are you most comfortable in when gardening?

My rubber clogs and overalls. CanÂt stand wearing straw hats or gloves. lol

What has been your best garden purchased or project?

I would have to say my greenhouse, took hubby only 4 years to build it, but its finally done.

Any projects in the works or planned?

My new hosta bed will be ready next spring for planting. I also would like to learn how to make willow furniture.

If you had an unlimited budget, what would you do with your gardens?

I would love to make a Victorian style veranda all around the house and grow climbing roses and hang baskets throughout. Also I would love to buy a bobcat and make a dugout pond for wildlife.

If you could invent a plant, what would it look like?

A hardy blue rose that could withstand harsh winters with no dieback.

Describe an experience with a garden pest that had you ready to throw in the trowel?

I have an ongoing war with flea beetle out here. Many plants from the cabbage family and my beloved alyssums are eaten within a couple of days from these buggers. IÂd sprayed with SaferÂs Trounce this year and it wasnÂt so bad. Some birds are a problem in the spring; they love to eat the young little seedlings like my sunflowers. But I have come to live with it.

What advice do you have for the novice gardener?

Start small with the tried and true, and then experiment with the not so hardy plants.

What is your motivation for gardening?

I have such a spiritual feeling when out in the garden, it just make me feel so darn good. It also keeps me sane ;)

Happy Gardening Everyone!

Sharon

Comments (150)

• northspruce
    18 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

Yup, I'm in the graphic design field too :D Welcome Stumpie & Steph.

-Gillian

• stumpie
    18 years ago

I've noticed, I'm not the only one who would buy out their neighbors with and unlimited gardening budget. I would love to hear the not-so-neighborly anecdotes that this crowd could come up with. That's probably for another thread, though. Incidentally, my example is the eastern neighbor getting a little crazy with the skid steer last summer, hence, my new project of railroad ties and hosta plants on my southeast hillside. But I Digress...

• big_thunder
    18 years ago

GW Name Big_Thunder
    I hate to admit this, but I have big hips,and theyve called me Big Thunder since I was a kid LOL
    Real Name Marzy
    Age - 59
    Companion still on a honeymoon here, but it has only been 47 years, they say those are the ruff ones right? :)
    Children? Grandchildren? Three children, and five grandsons ( No granddaughters yet and I dont think I will ever have any now darnit!)
    Pets?
    None, we did have many over the years but it hurts too bad when they are called home.
    Red Rock Ont. Just outside of Thunder Bay. Use to live in Cochrane, Ont.
    Zone? Wish someone would help me with that question, I think I am in 3a?
    Do you work?
    I use to, but retired now
    Companion Occupation?
    Stationary Engineer, but also retired
    Sewing, reading, and baking, I was a nutritionist when I did work; I love to play in my kitchen fall and winters, in the spring and summers I like fishing, boating, camping, and of course gardening :)
    As a child I use to help my parents in our very large veggie garden, but started doing my own gardens just a few years ago, maybe five? So I consider myself new at it still.
    Front is about 50 feet long and I have a few little ones besides the ones that are along side of my house & garages. Then the back yard is for the veggie gardens, of which I have two, about 25 feet for both of them they are not really large, but I do love to do what I can in them. As well, I have planted three apple trees, and two plum trees which do really well and I am very proud of (Though the plums didnt do anything for the last two years and I dont know why :(
    Courses in Horticulture?
    No, but Thank God I found all of you in this garden of knowledge!
    What are your specialties in gardening?
    ummmmm gee, I don think I have one yet, but I did get a lot of green peppers and tomatoes last year that may have just been a lot of luck though
    Favorite Flower? I love plants that come up every year, but darned if I know what they are I do buy some bedding plants too, but I find they are really expensive now that I am on a fixed income. I cant seem to get any flowers to come up from seeds.
    Favorite Tree/Shrub?
    Apple, plum, Lilacs, so far ;)
    I just found out what it was called, Creeping Charlie, and I hate it!
    Most Challenging Plant?
    Creeping Charlie! How do I get rid of it? :(
    Flowers are like good friends, they give you comfort and make you smile
    none
    The Garden Web
    My newly retired hubby :) sure works for me! ;)
    ole blue jeans, sometimes shorts and summer shirt, ole runners
    My garden shed which keeps all my supplies in one place, and a new edger I got last year to help make larger garden areas. :)
    A new green house this spring, and a few trellises along the garage wall for my grape vines to climb.
    I would dearly love a gazebo and a few stone walk (slate) ways around the back yard.
    I dont want to invent one, I just would like to start knowing a few by name and have a few more growing in my yard :)
    Describe an experience with a garden pest that had you ready to throw in the trowel?
    Army worms, and Earwigs, ohhhhhhhhh how I dislike those!
    Go on your computer and find the Garden Web, there are many wonderful people in there that are willing and kind enough to help you!
    I like to see the things come up and watch them grow, and in the fall you get to can or freeze a lot of things you grew, as well, you get to share with your neighbors and family.
    Happy healthy & prosperous gardening everyone :)

• marciaz3 Tropical 3 Northwestern Ontario
    18 years ago

Marzy, i'm originally from Terrace Bay! :)

If you have trouble growing things from seed, why don't you try winter sowing? Go over to the Winter Sowing Forum and read the FAQs there. It works! And it's fun!

Welcome to all the new people, btw!

18 years ago

Put your postal code in and it tells you your zone. :)

• Crazy_Gardener
    Original Author
    18 years ago

I'd like to Welcome all the new members too, great to read about you, it sure helps alot to get to know you a little better.

Hope you'll enjoy it here and most of all have fun!

Sharon

• big_thunder
    18 years ago

Hi Marcia Sharon and everyone
    Holy cow, I am a 2a zone! Thank you so much for the URL. Not sure how I thought I was in a 3a, but I am glad now I can at least look up the right zone on things :)
    Winter gardening, I did read a lot on it this fall in the GW, but I didn't think I had best try anything like that till I get more into doing the right thing with what I have right now, maybe next fall I will try, I will collect some containers starting this summer .
    Thanks again everyone
    Take care cause I care
    Marzy

• chatterbox
    18 years ago

GW Name - CHATTERBOX

Thats easy, Im CHATTERBOX! The one and Only! lol.

Real Name - LYLE

Age - Nifty Fifty.- 50

Companion - common law , wife of 18 years (Phewwwwwwww)

Children? Two step kids Grandchildren? None

Pets?
    A Spoiled Purebred Boxer named Alias. 11 years old who thinks he is human being..

Born in Moose Jaw, Saskatchewan, Then Dundurn, Sask, Calgary Alberta, Edmonton, Alberta , and also have a hideaway GNOME Retreat in Holden Alberta
    Zone? 2b (according to the Canadian Zone Map)

Do you work?
    Yes, Im a CRANE Operator working the oil patch or what ever arises..

Companion Occupation? Para-legal for a Major Law firm.

Gardening is my #1 pastime, but I also like walking,biking,traveling, bird watching and collecting antiques, auction sales,woodworking,landscaping,renovating,making garden Ornaments,(GNOMES) (concrete -Ceramics, WOODEN),computers est....

Oh I was born on the farm so I was always into gardening sinces I was a Little kids.. Always had an half ass green thumb..lol

Well here in Edmonton we have a hugh back yard which is 60 feet wide by 65 long.The front would be 65 by 25..And the retreat in Holden is a Golden ace..I would say an 1/4 of it is bush which we are clearing slowly but surely. an 1/4 of it in lilies and Spruce trees. The rest in grass and old building..

Courses in Horticulture?
    No, in all my gardening years, I have learned by experimenting. Trial and Errows useing my THUMB...lol..

Oh Thats gotta be Lilies. and Also Composting,Organic gardening, Raiseing California RED WORMS...
    I am sure I have most of the lilies or colours, all here in Edmonton or out at the retreat!
    Now working on collection MArtagons...

Favorite Flower? MArtagons

Favorite Tree/Shrub?
    The Japaneses Maple,Butterfly Bush...

Thats gotta be the lilies as well as I seem to lose the others from the winter drought...

Most Challenging Plant?
    Thats gotta be Martagons as they are pretty picky where they are located..They do not like to be moved at all..I have tried alot of other plants over the years but have lost a lot because of no snow cover..
    Ghee Bee Balm in this garden grows well for us.! The plant blooms every other year.So we always have Bee balm blooming through out the summer here!

If the Sun shines we are Out doors from dusk till dawn..

Gardens West, Canadian Gardening and The Prairie Gardener. National Home Gardening Magazine(LIFE TIME MEMBER)

Lois Holes series, A-Z Encyclopedia of Garden Plants, and
    Growing Lilies ..

OH Man! I have a few..
    My little Honda Roto-tiller,Honda weed whipper,Husvarnia Rototiller, Mighty Mac Wood chipper shredder, My wife, snips, spade, rake,Composter,est...

My Gum boots, or running shoes, jeans, shirt,and my bottled water...

I would have to say the back yard here in Edmonton.When we first moved here , all it had was a Elm tree.. Not its like a Forest with many Flower gardens..

Oh Man! It took us all last summer to clean up the acerage in Holden..So now we have to dig a Pond, Do some more landscaping, a Green house, clear some more bush, then decide on whether to build a new house or what which won't be for a couple years...

I would love to build a Victorian style House with a wrap around Veranda on it..Also a Victorian Gazebo down below with a little river running through to the pond..Lots of vines, Hanging Baskets as well as a bigger greenhouse.
    A bobcatt and small dumptruck would be in the picture also to do all the heavy work...

Oh I would want a Japaneses MAple that would grow in Our Zone with out worring about it dieing on us...

On the Retreat its gotta be Thisle , Thistle, And More thistle..It seems its pops up over nite some times..And also ants...They moved in when no one was living there I am sure..But slowly but surely we will get rid of them..

Never try to keep up with the Jones!!!

Well after we work all day on a lovely sunny day we are sooo tired ,but yet we feel real good about what we accomplish through out the DAY,Week,Month.!

PHEWWWWWWWW This was a lot of work....I best stick to Gardening....lol

Happy Gardening Everyone!
    GNOMES GALORE...
    Chatterbox Lyle....

• Crazy_Gardener
    Original Author
    18 years ago

"Never try to keep up with the Jones!!!" This has to be the very best advice I've ever heard. LOL!!!

Chatterbox, you'll fit right in with the rest of us ;) Welcome to the FN forum!

Sharon

• chatterbox
    18 years ago

Thanks Sharon..
    It was a Pleasure and fun to respond....
    I sure hope this forum goses on for along time...Wow ! Phewwwwwwwwwwwwwww ! There was a lot of reading to be had... People from All over....Oh ! and Alot of them Calgarians there too..lol... Calm down now as I use to be a CALGARIAN Also..Miss Stampede lots.....lol..
    Happy Spring Gardening you all....

• kristal
    18 years ago

GW Name - kristal

just my name - - not very creative

Age - 31

Companion - married just about ten years!!

Children? 2 - 5yo son & 8yo daughter

Pets? 2 spoiled cats

Western Minnesota

Zone? 3b

Do you work?
    For the last 7 years and for the next three weeks, I am a part-time Pharmacy Technician in a retail store, which I love, but last summer I landed a great job with the government. I work part-time from April to November as an office assistant with the US Fish & Wildlife Service. This season, though, I hope to get a permanent, full-time position there.

Companion Occupation?
    welder - he make commercial boat docks

I'd have to say web-surfing for sure, scrapbooking and photography. Hopefully this year I'll grow something I can take pictures of.

I started about one year ago, but I am in way over my head.

I actually live in a mobile home park, so my yard is not very big. I am lucky enoughm thoughm to have a small space in the adjacent farmer's field for my vegetables and compost pile.

Courses in Horticulture?
    Experimentation and web-surfing are all the education I need for my level of gardening

No specialties. I'll try anything once.

Favorite Flower?It's hard to narrow down, but I'll go with Lily

Favorite Tree/Shrub?
    Lilacs

I think it's too early to tell. This is my first season to wait and see what comes back for me.

Most Challenging Plant? I had a hard time with sweet corn last summer, but we really want to try again, it's so fun with the kids

Backyard Living, Horticulture and Northern Gardener, just because it's what I've been able to find at my library

I like some of Jerry Baker's books, and the Well Tended Perrenial Garden by Tracy DiSabato-Aust

my little scissors fopr deadheading

I hate gloves, too, but I wear mostly jeans

I really like my raised butterfly/hummingbird garden in the corner of my yard. This year I'll put up a corner of split rail to border it.

We have always wanted to put up split-rail fencing to match the neighbors' yards, so that leaves me two feet all along it, and then I'll have to make some kind of curvy corner on each end.

If I had an unlimited budget, I'd live in a different yard. Then, I'd have separate areas for shade plants, and many theme gardnes of all different shapes and sizes, lots of bird houses and feeders, and garden statues.

I'm not that creative

Again, I'm too new a gardener

Ask a lot of questions here and do your research before you waste a lot of money on something that may not work out in your area, etc.

It is a good release of creative energy and a good way to see your success and learn from your failures. I also want to involve my kids in something they can grow up with.

• ctowntransplant
    18 years ago

GW Name - ctowntransplant
    Cooperstown New York Transplant

Age - 36

Companion - married a little over 3 years

Children? stepdaughter - 9

Pets? 3 spoiled cats (2 are scottish folds)

Ohio, Arizona, New Mexico, California

Zone? Zone map says 5 - but it's wrong! :-)

Do you work? Absolutely - Now I am managing computer systems for Fund Raising in a hospital setting. Previoulsy I was with a SW company doing Sports & event ticketing.

Companion Occupation?
    Director of Sales & Membership - Baseball Hall of Fame

Eating, my babies (cats), reading

grew up on a farm in Ohio - always

Have a few different gardens -mostly bordering the house
    Large Veggie garden

Courses in Horticulture?
    no

none - had great luck with everything until I moved here!

Favorite Flower? Tough one - but I do love roses and clematis

Favorite Tree/Shrub?
    Grew up with an apple orchard - love them. Looking for hydrangea now..

Clematis, Rudbekia, Geraniums, spring bulbs, peonies, yucca, morning glories, petunias, Hostas, Lily of the Valley, Coral Bells, Rhododendron

Most Challenging Plant? Roses

Favorite Gardening Quote? Knee high by the fourth of July (corn)

Still looking

Still looking

my husband!

jeans & gloves

Making the enclosed beds bordering the house

Re-doing my East border

If you had an unlimited budget, what would you do with your gardens? I'd make a fairy-tale garden with arches and enclosed by vines (have to live somewhere warmer though)

Would love something like an oak leaf hydrangea that is everblooming with Bronze/red leaves and beige-rust flowers

Voles!!!!

Try everything that strikes you - gardens are best when they are always evolving.

I finally have the time and it's somehting I can share with my mother.

18 years ago

Baseball Hall of Fame! All right! :)

Marcia,
    a major Jays fan!

• ctowntransplant
    18 years ago

Come visit! It's about a 4.5 hour drive from Toronto ( Used to do a bit of work there and Mississagua)

18 years ago

I'm 24 hours north and west of Toronto. :) Closer to the Hockey Hall of Fame in Eveleth, actually.

• verenap
    18 years ago

GW Name - verenap

Not very creative...my first name and initial of my last name

Real Name - Verena

Age - 23

Companion - Hubby, 2.5 years (+2 years common-law)

Children? Grandchildren? Three: 1 step-daughter, 1 step-son, one son

Pets? Hunter - our orange and white Brittany, Needles - 25lb longhaired black cat (he decided to eat a sewing needle)

Penhold - 2 years, Red Deer - 4 years, Bentley - Age 3-18

Zone? 3a

Do you work?
    Non-stop, full time at home raising our little guy, doing renos on our old house, and of course gardening (though does that count as work??

Companion Occupation?
    Oilfield.

Hunting (deer/moose/geese/ducks/pheasants), fishing/fly-fishing/ice-fishing, skeet/trap/target shooting, camping, bird watching, hiking, used to do a bit of rock climing, back in my 'younger' days LOL, pretty much anything outdoors (Hubby's a BIG outdoorsman so we do a lot of it together), scrapbooking, anything arts-n-crafts-ey (I'm kind of a 'redneck' momma with a creative flair...LOL)

As far back as I can remember. I grew up playing in the dirt with my mom, used to love the trips to the greenhouse in the spring to go pick out new plants and the annuals. (I was a little instigator - "Mom, how about THAT one!!...Just a couple more...") I've had my own flowerbeds for three years now and still look forward to the spring trips to the greenhouses with mom. (and I'm still an instigator...why just last week I got mom to come to Costco with me...)

We have an old house on three lots. The veggie garden was in the back south corner, but this year it's likely going to get turned into a mixed garden (pond/water feature with strategically placed vegetables, fruit, and flowers. We have a long flowerbed running along the south property line, another one running the full lenght of the house (south side), a 10'x 10' bed by the entrance, a raised bed surounding two trees in the back yard, a lily-bed by the patio - NE corner of the house (put it in 2 years ago and is my personal favorite), coming this year, a fence w/ arbor and flowerbed running the full front (East side) of our property.

Courses in Horticulture?
    Nope

I love my lilies (we bought 50 bulbs two years ago after I lost my first pregnancy - kind of a living tribute, something beautiful that came from a really hard time in my life...last year it had divided/seeded to over a 100. Asolutely beautiful!)

Favorite Flower? Lily

Favorite Tree/Shrub?
    Lilacs

So far, my lilies.

Most Challenging Plant?
    At the moment, roses...I'm looking forward to seeing if the one I planted last year has survived the winter.

In my garden there is a large place for sentiment. My garden of flowers is also my garden of thoughts and dreams. The thoughts grow as freely as the flowers, and the dreams are as beautiful. ~Abram L. Urban

"God made rainy days so gardeners could get the housework done."

Canadian Gardening

Lois Holes series, Canadian Gardening books, NatureScape Alberta - Myrna Pearman & Ted Pike

My Claw

Old jeans, a T-shirt, beat up runners, no gloves or hats please.

My greenhouse, hubby built it last year, can wait to get into it soon.

In the works: currently renovating the bathroom.
    Planned: Fencing in the front and back, a nice arbor at the entryway, flowerbeds along the front fence, new front steps & walkway, overhauling the long south bed, planting saskatoons there and some shade plants, getting rid of the chickweed, adding a pond and waterfalls - good thing by hubby likes gardening too...

I would love to make a Victorian style veranda all around the house. (Sorry Crazy - I have to copy that one, it's what my DH and I have been talking about since we moved here) I'd plant way more delphiniums, climing roses, more lilies, plant a weeping birch and hire a housekeeper so I could spend more time digging outside.

It would be an apple tree that produced very little fruit, just profusely bloomed those lovely scented apple-blossoms all season long.

Does chickweed count?? I have it through out ALL of my beds here...really good soil, but the chickweed LOVES it and I can't seem to figure out how to get rid of the nasty little critters. (That and all my caragana that I'm trying to kill...)

Talk to more experienced gardeners to learn what grows well in your area. Buy a house with friendly gardening neighbors. ;)

It brings back happy memories of my childhood, something which I want to pass on to my kids. The joy of watching something coming through the ground (preferably not weeds). I love beautiful things. I love knowing that other people can walk by and enjoy the beautiful flowers too. It beats being inside cleaning... ;)

• prairierose
    18 years ago

Okay, after reading (lurking) for several months, I decided to join in. You probably won't hear a lot from me, but I'll drop in once in a while

GW name: prairierose - love my roses (hardy only, no time for tender stuff)

Age - 46

Companion - husband, 25 years this spring

Children - 3 teenage boys & a huge grocery bill

Pets - Malamute/Black lab cross - funny looking, but sweet, assorted cats; have a few chickens and raise cattle

Where do you live - east of Olds, west of Three Hills Alberta on a big ridge;spent a few years in Edmonton and Drumheller, born east of Three Hills

Zone - Should be 3a, but the ridge makes 2b more likely - my folks are 30 miles away, and several hundred feet lower - their strawberries and saskatoons are always 2 weeks ahead of mine

Do you work - Yes, another librarian - in a school, for 21 years

Companion occupation - farmer - cattle; we rent out our crop land due to his heart condition

Other hobbies - planning gardens, reading garden catalogues, renovating, sewing & crafts, reading

How long have you been gardening? Seriously, about 20 years; more seriously as the kids get older

Where is your garden located and what is its size? - Which garden - it just keeps spreading. I have one patch that's raspberries, strawberries, and currently potatoes; the main garden where most of the veggies grow; the fruit garden with tomatoes & cukes - its sheltered, a little warmer; my front lawn is a big flower bed, and there are various other flower beds scattered around

Courses in horticulture - No, but lots of reading, and ask my Dad for advice - his specialty is trees, and his thumb is a very bright shade of green

Specialities in gardening - love my roses

Favorite tree/shrub - Love the quaking aspen that spring up unexpectedly in my yard

Best performing plant/plants in your gardens - I can grow crazy amounts of carrots and potatoes, usually give a bunch away to the neighbors & foodbank, Adelaide Hoodless puts on a wonderful show for me

Most challenging plant - I can't grow corn, but I keep trying!

Favorite quote - don't really have one

Favorite gardening magazine - Gardener for the prairies

Favorite garden books - 101 best plants for the prairies by Liesbeth Leatherbarrow & Lesley Reynolds ( Calgary authors)

Favorite tool - My garden multitool - hangs on my belt, always there

Most comfortable in when gardening - jeans/shorts, runners, floppy hat

Best garden purchase or project - the front flower bed

Projects in the works - many - a patio, finish the pond, lay some better walkways, a few stone retaining walls, oh - and buy a garden tractor to help with it all

Unlimited budget - hire somebody else to pull weeds, cut grass, and rototill - then I could just do the fun stuff

If you could invent a plant - a hardy yellow rose that doesn't fade, and blooms like Adelaide Hoodless (constantly)

Garden pest - The deer are my least favorite. They have been known to dig and eat my carrots, they trimmed the onions, strawberries, raspberries, an apple and a cherry last year. The dog was busy guarding the step, I guess.

Advice for a novice gardener - If grass won't grow, plant flowers!

Motivation for gardening - The fruit and veggies are for eating, the flowers are for my eye, my nose, and my soul.
    Gardening also gives me peace and quiet away from my houseful of big and small men

Looking forward to being able to comment occasionally, and ask questions ( especially about hardiness on various things)

Connie

• luv2gro
    18 years ago

Welcome to our playhouse, all of you.
    Shauna

• chatterbox
    18 years ago

WOW! This is Wonderfull! This one forum that keeps on GROWING and GROWING and GROWING ! (WITH OUT ANY FERTALIZER)....lol.
    It's a wonder I can even keep up with it...Thanks god it's Winter here now and Snowing right now as we Speak......
    We don't even need a GREEN thumb for this one forum...hehehhehe

Let's see if we can get this Forum to be the longest of them All other garden Forums........
    HAPPY GARDENING YEA ALL.... THATS what keeps us all a SMILEING..!

chatterbox.. Lyle...

• verenap
    18 years ago

LOL...I was killing some time and reading through these and came across the conversation about OfficeWench and Coffee Wench...too funny!! DH calls me Castle Wench (my mom always said a man's home was his castle...and I'm a housewife...so that makes me...)

"Castle-Wench..."

"Yes, me Lord...?"

"A token for your loyalty..."

"Thank-you, me Lord..."

ROTFLMAO ; )

• SeaOtterCove
    18 years ago

Thought I would bump this thread since we have some new people here.

Syreeta

• sazzyrose
    18 years ago

GW Name
    Sazzyrose

SAZ is my initials and roses are my newest obsession.

Real Name
    Shelley

Companion
    Hubby Barry

Children? 5 of them - 23-20-15-13-5 and one 5 yr old grandson

Pets?
    Mercedes, a grey cockatiel

Central Saskatchewan

Zone?
    2a or 2b. Sometimes labeled as 1b

Do you work?
    I've worked at a semi-trailer manufactoring plant for the last 10 years. I'm labelled as a Finisher. What is a finisher,do you ask. Finishers do everything after a trailer is painted, ex brakes, wheel alignments, wiring, mudflaps, tarps, decals, hydralics etc. Some of us even can do safteys for SGI.

Companion Occupation?
    Welder

Reading, playing on the computer, cooking, baking, ceramics and certain crafts here and there.

20+ years- Forever

I live in a small town and my house sits on 3 lots. I have 2 vegetable gardens which are quite big. I have 6 flower beds. One rose garden. This year I am adding a bed that is mostly going to be lilies.

Courses in Horticulture?
    No, just a green thumb.

I would have to say roses. They are my favorite, so they recieve my most pampering. This year I will have around 100 bushes.

Favorite Flower?
    Roses, roses, roses, lilies, peonies, clematis, cranesbill (perennial geraniums) and blue spiked flowers like blue sage, speedwells and monkshood. Favorite annuals are petunias, godetia, and dianthsis.

Favorite Tree/Shrub?
    Roses of course. Spruce trees because they are green all winter. Weeping birch, weeping caragana, and lilacs. Especially the smaller lilacs.

Roses again. The variety really depends on the year. John Cabot, one of my climbing roses really out does them all, but it is my oldest bush at 16 years. I have it planted by a Jackmanni Clematis and the effect is rather stunning.
    Hops is another amazing plant for me that can grow 15' in a season.
    Cornflowers do amazing for me also.

Most Challenging Plant?
    Bitterroot.(Lewisia Cotyledon). I've had one for 5 years and haven't been able to get it to bloom. Any suggestions?

none

The Gardener for the Prairies and Gardens West.

GardenWeb, Lois Hole's and this year I've bought Best Perennials for Saskatchewan and Manitoba.

Just purchased a Mantis tiller. Can't wait to try it out.

Sweats, and sandles. Shirt depends on the weather and job.

My rose garden. I also really love cement statues/ornaments.(Mothers Day is coming again)

I am making a lily bed soon. I have will have roughly 80 lily bulbs to put into that bed this year.I also have 30+ roses on order. And I want to get some U of S cherries and Honeyberry bushes this spring.

I'd put in an irrigations system with alot more flower bed.

A rose that would thrive and bloom in the house with no direct sunlight.

I can't say any I've been bothered by any pests. But the frosts that I have gotten in the early summers has made me quit growing begonias.

Keep perennials well watered and fertilized. Soak the ground around them before freeze up. This will help them make it through the winter.

It relaxes me and gives me time to putter by myself.

• xtreme_gardener
    17 years ago

OK I filled this out, but I think reading everyone else's is going to take awhile longer. Looking forward to it!

GW Name - xtreme gardener

Well xtreme sports are popular these days--why not gardening? I think I qualify.

Real Name - Dusty (Tootsie is a nick name)
    Age - 30 (Perpetually)
    Companion - Husband of 4.5 years

Pets?
    Oh, my kids you mean!...3 dogs: our dear Annie whom we got from the local SPCA (Lab/Blue Heeler), and Gus and Dan (Lab/Border Collie/Norweigen Elkhound-littermates) and Clarence our unruly cat. And I guess 4 horses and a bunch of cows, although only some of them are pets!

Currently 36 km off the Alaska Highway between Fort St. John and Fort Nelson, BC. Grew up in Terrace BC, spent some time in Castelgar and Kelowna, BC, too.

Zone? 1b

Do you work?
    Executive Chore Girl, Farmer, Cow Technician, Chief Cook and Bottle Washer, Cleaner of Clothes, Carpenter, Plumber, Head Gardener, shall I go on? Really I'm lucky and I get to spend a lot of time at home...on this dang computer!

Companion Occupation?
    Gas Well Operator (Oil patch)

Mostly gardening, but I dabble in painting, play on this computer (which, I have to explain, is because we only just got internet service up here (dial up) and we just got the computer this spring...in case you were wondering...)

On my own, just since I've been married with a place of my own, so 4.5 years. Other than that, I helped mom and grandma a bit when they needed weeds pulled or the lawn mowed!

My garden is on an old river terrace (with the house) above an open flat that we farm. Generally speaking, we are in a river valley with fields and mountains to the west and hills to the east and north and more valley to the south. The main garden plot is about 100 feet long and 75 wide, but I get to monopolize a couple acres. That was definately a strategic move on my part with this new yard!

Courses in Horticulture?
    Love to , but no.

I haven't really been gardening long enough to have a "specialty", but I've grown some killer potatoes the last couple years! :-)

Favorite Flower? No favorite yet, still so many to try! Although, I have to say out of what i've got now, my Iceberg LA Lilly was very striking last year. And I do love Rudbeckias enough to keep trying them!

Favorite Tree/Shrub?
    Yet to be found, but so far I'd have to say lilacs for their beauty, fragrance and toughness all roled into one.

Hee hee, my cranesbill. Oh and some Oriental Poppies I grew from seed. Honestly though, it's pretty early in my career for me to be passing judgement.

Most Challenging Plant?
    Why can't I grow Delphiniums? Everyone else does!

"Wildflowers are the weeds we've learned to love."

Gardens West and Gardening life.

Don't have one yet
    Wheelbarrow and this hoe thingy that has tines instead of a flat blade? Not sure what the official name is...

Lose comfy clothes and I haven't found a good all around gardening shoe, but I find that sandals and bare feet are good for weeding and general maintenence, because you're gonna get your feet dirty no matter how hard you try.

What has been your best garden purchase or project?
    I'll let you know after I rack the VISA bill up this spring! I've been rather cheap thus far, but I have big plans for tis season!

Yah! Raised beds and a garden fence and cedar mulch layed down strategiaclly, and a "Thyme Walk", and move my perrenials to a permanent spot. And, and...

2 Words - build up my soil to perfect condition and get future supplies hauled in as required. Also I'd hire a mason to do some walls and stuff.

Ahhh! Big green and luscious, it would thrive in wet or dry soil and it would love the frost! In fact the frost would only make it grow bigger!

Tarnished Plant bugs. In fact, I may post a thread on them, because they're wreaking havoc on my sunflowers, columbines, potatoe foiliage and daisies!

Get your workable space ready first-like good dirt and a fence, or whatever, but do the basic stuff first and it will make everything else easier. Also, find a good neighbor who will donate some Zone tried and true specimans to start with.

I'm addicted.

No, seriously, I love the feeling of growing beautiful plants from seed, bulding something in the garden, and having food to harvest in the fall is very satisfying...can't beat that.

Good Night!
    Tootsie

• sauna_akz4
    17 years ago

GW Name Sauna_akz4

Nothing really I do like to sauna.

Real Name - Sonya

Age - 35

Companion Husband of 5 years (but have been together for many.)

Children two aged 2 and 1.

Pets?
    1 very sweet and gimpy rottweiler

Anchorage, Ak most of my life.

Zone? 4 (according to the USDA Zone Map)

Do you work?
    Yes.

Companion Occupation? Chemist

I also like to walk, hike, read, cook and take my kids to the park.

Well I bought my house 3 years ago, but I helped my mom with hers for a few years first. (She is a really good gardener so at least I had some instruction (so I DO have to weed?)

I live on decent sized suburban lot. I inherited rectangles of rock around the house and just excavated them and replaced with dirt. I also put in a raised kitchen garden of 8 x 30.

Courses in Horticulture?
    No, but a v. nice one on plant biology at university.

Whatever will grow for me, and live through the assaults of my kids and dog.

Favorite Flower? Lilac.

Favorite Tree/Shrub?
    Maple/Lilacs

I have some awesome Tall Tiger Lilies and some Papavar poppies that reseed wonderfully.

Most Challenging Plant?
    Go ahead and laugh, but something happens to my sweet peas every time!!!! Last year it was my child ripping them down from their "fun" supports. They are so easy, and I like them so much, so I will not give up. They will not be able to rip down the supports this year!

none

none

I could use a few.

I have some baggy linen capris, old tenny runners and gloves.

Well I have tons of vision, but am trying to restrain myself, because I dont want to create a huge shackle for myself. This year I am going to try and do a good job with what I have (as opposed to an ok/haphazard job) But if I get a bug in my ear I will work an abandoned shade garden, and a place to plant raspberries, and maybe some roses.

I would first dig out the beds and lawn and create an interesting (vertically) landscape with GOOD drainage (I have to be careful here - dont want to interfere with the drainage around my house.) and create a woodland garden that merged into a structured herb/food garden in the back, with tons of hanging baskets and planters on the deck. I would create a private space in the front yard, opening it up to frequent use, by hiding myself from the neighbors with lilac, rose and fruit tree fences.
    I will just try and stick with what I have-yet-to-learn.
    Describe an experience with a garden pest that had you ready to throw in the trowel? I have an ongoing battle with sawflies on my red currant bushes. I have picked those suckers practically to death and it has not really seemed to help. I might dig the currants up, dig out the old soil and replace (since the flies breed there apparently). I am an organic gardener, but might have to make an exception in this case!!

I am a novice gardener, so am taking sharons advice (and my moms) and starting with the tried and true.
    I like to see things grow and I love to be outside and I love fresh vegetables.

Whew!! There it is. Is anyone reading these anymore?
    S

• sierra_z2b
    17 years ago

Yep......we still read em when new people join. Welcome!!!

Sierra

• Crazy_Gardener
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Welcome to the FN forum, thanks for filling out the roll call everyone....enjoy!

• Crazy_Gardener
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Any new Newbies to our FN forum like to fill this out, its a great way to get to know you better!

• debbiecz3
    17 years ago

I guess I'm game!

GW name: DebbieC
    Stands for: me!
    Companion: married almost 31 years (Child bride!)
    Children: 3 girls- 27, 25 and 15.
    Grandchildren: my future garden helper Quinn 15 months
    Pets: 1 dog, 4 cats and 1 dwarf rabbit
    Live: Just outside Winnipeg
    Zone: 2b/3
    Work: Nurse part-time
    Companion Occupation: Fire Inspector
    Other hobbies: Belong to my church choir and ladies group; active in my local garden club. Like to visit the casino and play bingo on occasion.
    How long gadening: Actively for about 10 years
    Where: 5 acres on the prairie but only a small portion is actually growing anything other than prairie grass
    Courses in horticulture: No but would be very interested in taking some.
    Specialties: Like to grow many types of summer bulbs. Lots of container gardening.
    Favorite flower: I really can't committ!
    Favorite tree or shrub: Love birches; Japanese maple which I can't grow. Like my diablo ninebark
    Best performing plants: canna lilies, asiatic lilies
    Most challenging plant: oh there are many!
    Favorite garden quote: For everything there is a season.(not really a gardening quote but it seems appropriate!)
    Fav. garden mags: Manitoba and Canadian Gardener
    Fav Garden Books: Lois Holes' books, John Velleau's Perennial guide and lone star book Perennials for Sask and Mb.
    Favorite tool: probably my hands!
    Fav garden clothes: sweats and a tshirt
    Planned projects: another large perennial bed
    Unlimited budget: extensive landscaping and beds, pond, sunroom and a yard boy!
    Worst garden pest: quack grass
    Advice for novice gardeners: Check out what your neighbors grow; join your local garden club!
    Motivation for gardening: watching things grow, beauty of life and the seasons, forgetting the stresses of life

• xtreme_gardener
    17 years ago

Debbie: Oooo! I like your idea of a yard boy! If only just to deal with the quack grass, eh? I've got the darn stuff, too.

Sonya: Do you have your own sauna? I've always wanted to build one.

Toots - Nice to meet you both! :^)

• SeaOtterCove
    17 years ago

I thought since we have a bunch of new people they might like to read this and get to know some of us. Plus fill it out so we can get to know them.

Syreeta

• venuscat
    17 years ago

GW Name venuscat
    Wishful thinking a cat in venus in my next life

Real Name - Mary

Age - 47

Companion Husband a lifetime already

Children two aged 22 and 12 and grandson 6 months old.

Pets?
    3 gold fish, 2 cats Cheeko and Missy, and a female tortoise

Edmonton was from Fort McMurray 18 years ago before that was living in Prince Rupert, BC

Zone? 3 (according to the USDA Zone Map)

Do you work?
    Used to work for the Federal Government and occasionally work part-time administrative support

Companion Occupation? Mechanical Engineer/Machinist Supervisor

Lately cooking, travelling, reading, taking pictures, making new friends, and entertaining

After I moved to my 4th house 12 years ago. There wasn't much garden except Lily of the Valley, 1 type of daylily and a few overgrown hedges, and an arch covered with sick looking english ivy. In the process we removed a lilac tree, overgrown hedges and replaced with a variety of perennials

I have a urban pie shaped lot. My back garden is about 3 times of what you can purchase for normal lot today.

Courses in Horticulture?
    Yes, several years ago at Devonian Botanic Garden

Perennial

Favorite Flower? Ligularia leaves are large and detailed

Favorite Tree/Shrub?
    Weeping Willow

Varieties of lilies from Oriental, Asiatic to Martagon, Ligularia, and peonies. Yellow Itoh has not bloom. Poppies they reseeded but had to pull out due to slugs favourite/infestation last year and this year it is under control.

Most Challenging Plant?
    Edith Wolford bought this rhizome three consecutive years and it failed to grow! Help what did I do wrong here.

Gardening means serenity I treasure, beauty which dazzles, and surprises it unfolds

Orchid, fine gardening, and garden west

I use a few A-Z Encyclopedia and a couple orchid books

Depending on what I am doing, mostly shorts and jean and if I am handling hybrid tender roses leather gloves and weeding rubber gloves

I love to have a greenhouse for my orchid if only I have a much larger lot and bigger budget. Will have to dig up some dirt to plant new daylilies and irises towards the end of summer. We have just removed our old shade and bought a new one and just finished installing it. Might rethink how to get organize new year to make room for my finally growing lady slippers.

David Austin rose maybe or something the words could not describe could be some thing hideous or awesome! :P

Last year I had slugs infestation for the first time in my gardening experience. Boy, I was out there every night and could not even stand up straight after all that picking. I was frustrated slugs getting fat feasting and my plants were looking poorly.

Whenever you are dazzled by a plant go slowly for your Visa card. Better yet put it in a locked safe.

Serenity, beautiful flowers, and fresh produce

Ok that's it everyone.

Venuscat

• greenlove
    17 years ago

Welcome Venuscat! We have several things in common. We both live in Edmonton, took courses at Devonian (which ones?) and have pie-shaped lots very much larger than most new lots. You're gonna love this forum.

Kate

• venuscat
    17 years ago

Hi Kate!
    Cool to know someone from Edmonton with an added bonus having similar interest! I was at Devonian in the year 2004 (spring). I must admit this forum is a place for inspiration, knowledge, and friendship.

Mary

• luv2gro
    17 years ago

Hi Mary

I have to throw my hat in with both you and Kate. I also took the MG course at DBG last spring, 2005, and I live in Edmonton. I met Kate at a greenhouse that we both worked at last spring. Welcome to the FN forum.

And a big welcome, also, to everyone that has joined us recently.

Shauna

• catt_2006
    17 years ago

GW Name -Catt_2006

My nickname is Catt..my real name is Cathy and I joined in 2006.

Real Name -Cathy

Age - 30

Companion - fiance, will be married in July of 2007

Pets?
    2 dogs. Dakota..a beautiful black newfoundland with a white bib. Morty..a swiss mountain dog cross whom we brought home from the humane society.

Manitob, Canada

Zone? I think it is 3b

Do you work?
    Yes, I am a behavior counsellor.

Companion Occupation?
    Sales and service

Scrapbooking, trying new recipes, reading, I would like to start making home made meals for my dogs.

With my mom until I went to university...1 year on my own as this is my first real home. Have lived in dorm rooms for the past few years.

A small city garden. I have a rose bed, 4 mixed perrenial beds and a border around my deck in which the clematis live.I have lots of empty spots to fill as this is my first summer in this house.

Courses in Horticulture?
    No. Just live and learn. One of my co-workers is an experienced gardener and I get lots of tips and plants from her.

No specialties yet.

Favorite Flower? Rose, lily, clematis, peaony, coneflowers..I can't choose.

Favorite Tree/Shrub?
    Hydrangea, globe cedar

We will see next year what survives the winter. Everything looks fine now as they are all new and have not had to go through any hardships.

Most Challenging Plant?
    We will see next year. Although my iris's look kinda sickly.
    Are they supposed to have brown tips with the leaves bent over?

All gardeners live in beautiful places because they make them so.
    - Joseph Joubert

Manitoba Gardener.

Just beginning to get into the books. A coworker brought in some books that she had from the 1970's. It's called "The Prairie Garden" published by the Winnipeg Horticultural Society. Lots of great tips and information specifically for my zone.

my hands

sweats and a t-shirt.

The best purchase so far was the arbor. The best project has been putting in the gardens and landscaping. Before there were only 2 shrub gardens.

I would like to make a willow chair and find the perfect spot for a birdbath.

Purchase the property next door, tear the house down, build a greenhouse, put in more gardens and a pond.

A climbing rose bush that blooms two different colors at the same time Each flower would be one solid color but two colors would be on the plant at once...My favorite would be blue flowers and yellow flowers. For canada day red and white.

Well, my honeysuckle is having a heck of a time growing. Since I've put it in the ground..something has been chomping away at it. When I look at it..I don't see any bugs, the leaves have parts taken out of just the sides of each leaf. So my greatest battle is with the mysterious invisible honeysuckle eating bug.

No advice..as I am a novice myself..but to all I say "Have fun with it".

After coming home I just like to relax with nature. There is concrete, tile and metal all day at work so it is nice to come home to plants, rocks, water, soil and wood.

• laurie_edm
    17 years ago

GW name is indicator of my incredible creativity :)
    Companion: Shiny new (53 yr old) hubby of 1 week; it was a garden wedding of course
    Children: 1 natural, a couple of extras who call me mom, 2 grandchildren
    Work: accountant in retail

Other activities: winter travel, reading
    Pets: the Good Dog - blue heeler cross from the pound - stays on the garden paths unless influenced by the Bad Dog - bichon/shi-tzu plant squisher who thinks spreading pinks are dog beds

Have been gardening off n on for 20 years, depending on lifes circumstances. This is my most serious effort, with a 75' X 125' lot begging to be rearranged & filled and an expectation that I will be here for several years.

Garden Magazines: just this year, I discovered The Gardener for the Praires, Gardens West & Alberta Gardener
    Garden books: I think it's called Perennials for the Prairies - authors from U of Saskatoon? On loan to DD so can't check my facts; Lois Hole's Fav. Perennials & Fav. Trees & Shrubs - I really appreciate her notes on bad habits the plants may have

Planned projects: finish the pond that DH dug & stocked, dig up all the lilies I transplanted last year & replant beside said pond, find the 35 lilies that I missed when transplanting last year & that bloomed in the old spot, make a final decision & finish the garden paths, kill as much grass as possible in order to have more room for flowers, add small trees/shrubs to back fence to hide neighbour's ugly garage

Gardening resolutions: Remove ALL next years volunteers & regain control of garden space. Maintain self talk: They are NOT potential flowers - if they grow where you didn't want them they are weeds.

• venuscat
    17 years ago

luv2gro,

Thank you for your warm welcome. Another Edmontonian! Another happy gardener :)

Welcome all!

venuscat

• tc4alaska
    15 years ago

GW Name tc4alaska
    For my wish to be in AK
    Real Name - Teresa
    Age - 54

Companion none - divorced
    Children 4 aged 34,31,23 and 21. 4 Grandchildren - 14, 11,9 and 1 month.
    Pets? In AK I care for my son's dog & four cats. My dog and cat (Maggie & Sesha are in GA with my brother until I can ship them up here)

Willow, AK. First year here and before that in FL, mostly Ft Myers until 2004 and moved to Silver Springs, FL. Spent 5 mo prior to coming to AK in GA with my brother.
    Zone? 2 (according to the USDA Zone Map)

Do you work?
    Still looking for a north slope job. Live too far remote to drive daily to a job.

Reading, crafts.

Planted my first seeds on my own at 17 - Baby's Breath around the front oak tree. Was a Bridesmaid and fell in love with the bouquets. Helped grandma with her garden from my earliest memories. Veggies & flowers.

Small garden in front of house. Hanging baskets. In GA had 30 X 50 vegg garden. And many flwrs & plants around the cultivated 4 acres.

Courses in Horticulture?
    Master Gardener in Marion Cnty, FL 2006-07

Perennial

Favorite Flower? Rose
    Favorite Tree/Shrub?
    Hydrangea,Weeping Willow

What has been the best-performing plant/plants in your gardens? Begonia

Most Challenging Plant?
    African Violet. A death sentence for one if I buy it.

I never had any other desire so strong, and so like to covetousness, as that one which I have had always, that I might be master at last of a small house and a large Garden

Birds & Blooms

Mostly online data

Jeans, T-shirt and gym shoes.

Getting the green house remodeled for the spring. Setting up a lot of containers for container gardening.

Viney, weepy and beautiful like a Passion Flower.

Moles wiped out a 1/2 acre section of fence that I had bordered with sunflowers. From Mammoth to the dwarf - it would have been 8 ft deep of sunflowers along that fence. When they were about half maturity - they all suddenly died. After some searching I found that ALL the roots were gone. All plenty of moles around.

Start small

Always something new to see.

• Ginny McLean_Petite_Garden
    15 years ago

Hi Sharon,
    Bet you never imagined this to go on this long! A great idea by the way. I started reading and noticed that my scroll was not moving very far.......duh 2004! I will continue reading the other 120 some odd entries since I was having so much fun but will take a break to add my two bits in.
    Hi everyone. As of Oct. 24 2008 this are my stats.

GW name .... Honalee

What does your Gw name stand for? .... When I was little I was facinated with Puff and thought I was the dragon himself until I changed my species to a horse. I now have a garden in my garden called Honalee.

Real Name.... Virginia Garden

Age .... 48

Companion .... I'm working on my second victim hubby #2 of 8 years

Children, Grandchildren .... 1 daughter 25, and 1 SIL to be, 2 step daughters 41 and 39 and spouses, 2 granddaughters 12 and 8 The rest of my children and grandchildren have four paws!

Pets .... Tri sheltie female Angel (very pregnant), Tri CHW sheltie female Cricket (maybe pregnant) Bi Black CHW sheltie female Chloe and Bi Blue sheltie male Painter (who has been very busy!) And I can't forget my old grey haired daddy.

Where do you live or used to live? ....We moved into the house I grew up in to take care of my aging father in Edmonton. Before that Calgary and before that Saskatoon, Swift Current, Edmonton........

Zone.... Twilight.... most of the time........seriously 3a

Do you work? 24/7 !!!!! ......I am a starving artist or thriving to become one! I do some sewing and of course raising the puppies. I am retired from Life Skills coaching and Addictions Counselling but you'd never know it!

Companion Occupation.... Sewer and water in the construction field

Other hobbies besides gardening?.... Obedience work with my dogs, sewing, reading, ceramics, collecting Breyer horses, taking care of everyone, Science of Mind, horse back riding, my kids.........

How long have you been gardening? ....I started gardening with my father when I was very young...like 3 or 4 Back in the same old garden 45 years later but not too much in between except for house plants, seed starting and the odd flower garden I could find room for.

Where is your garden located and what size is it? .... Mostly in my dreams and it is HUGE! No, really, same old garden in Dad's backyard in Edmonton. The yard is 75' x 155' with gardens everywhere and the veggie garden now full of peonies!

Courses in Horticulture? .... Never, I learn by trial and error, Dad's green thumb and talking to all the wonderful gardeners who have been at it a lot longer than I have.

What are your specialties in gardening? ....Weeds, and forgeting what I planted and being suprised when something grows two years later!

Favorite flower? ....All of them that are colored and smell good. Partial to Peonies, Roses, Irises,
    Ssweet Peas, you know, the ones that don't bloom nearly long enough!

Favorite tree/shrub? .... Lilac, lilac and more lilac and the rest of them that are not lilacs!

What has been the best performing plant in your garden? ...Thistles! And Mom's 65 year old Peonies, the other 65 year old trees, what ever the dogs don't get a hold of and the new creepers. I'm told I can grow a pretty good vegetable garden and most of my annuals do well. I just figure if I don't kill it, it is performing!

Most challenging?.... Hmmmm....Probably Amaranthus and Aquilegia No idea why???

Favorite gardening quote? ....Dont realy have one.

Favorite gardenig magazine? ....Canadian Gardener

Favorite gardening book?.... Anything that falls off the library shelf in front of me.

What is your favoite tool?.... Bug repellant!

What are you most comfortable in when gardening?.... Anything that entertains my neighbours! Usually something I made from bargain bin fabric or something with bugs, horses, frogs, lizards, dogs, cows, pigs martians, Halloween, Christmas snowmen or whatever on it. And of course my DAWGS or rubber boots.

What has been your best garden purchase or project?.... My perennials

Any projects in the works or planned?.... I would like a real greenhouse to start with.

If you had an unlimited budget, what would you do with your garden? .... I would relandscape the whole yard after I build a new house and finally have my English country garden.

If you could invent a plant, what would it loo like? .... A true BLUE peony that flowered all summer long!

Descibe an experience with a garden pest that had you ready to throw in the trowel..... Thistles, thistles, thistles!!!! That is it for the flora. Ants, ants, ants!! That's it for the fauna! This year I had a major "to do" with wasps! I got bit 7 times! They are not welcome back next year I tell ya!

What advice do you have for a novice gardener? ....You mean like me??? Listen to the voices of experience, read everything you can, don't expect anything more than the miracle of life, and try anything till you find something that works and stick with it!

What is your motivation for gardening? .... I love to see new life and renew the one I already have every time I get the chance!

That's it!

Thanks for listening evryone

Virginia Garden

• Crazy_Gardener
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Hi Teresa & Virginia, welcome to the FN forum, its always nice to know the new folks a little bit better.
    Yeah this is a pretty old thread, alot has changed since my first posting, especially my age! LOL

Enjoy and post lots.
    Sharon

• valleyrimgirl
    15 years ago

I remember this thread from a long time ago....but just realized when quickly glancing down it that I never did fill out Sharon's questionaire...

So, here it goes...

GW Name - Valleyrimgirl

What does your GW name stand for? Valleyrim was the name of the acreage we bought 13 years ago. Our acreage is located on the top of the rim of the Assiniboine River Valley. I liked Valleyrim but Valleyrim Lady sounded funny so I went with Valleyrimgirl.

Real Name - Brenda

Age - 46

Companion - husband of 26 years

Children? Grandchildren? Daughter, 23 married. Son, 22 engaged. Son, 20, dating. No grandkids.

Pets? Sneaker, our cat, 17 years old. Jazz, our border collie, 3 years old. A few goldfish in the aquarium.

Where do you live or used to live? Grew up in the Brookdale area in SW Manitoba. High School in Neepawa, MB. Bible School in Caronport, Sask. for one year. Winnipeg, MB for 5 years while I went to Red River Community College for Dental Assisting and then married and worked in the city. Moved to Anola, MB to our first house for a brief 6 months until my DH got a job in Brandon. Presently we have been in the Brandon, MB area since 1986.

Zone? 2b but grow lots of zone 3 and 4 plants with mulch. Over the cistern next to the house I have some zone 5 plants like hyacinth bulbs and Japanese irises.

Do you work? Of course. Sometimes for pay, sometimes not. Actually I go into my DH's office and do the payroll and pay the government remittances for him. I also divide perennials out of the yard and sell them at the local farmer's market in order to pay for the new perennials I purchase each year.

Companion Occupation? Civil Engineer with his own consulting company here in Brandon, MB.

Other hobbies besides gardening? reading, tole painting, creative memories, sewing, 'stained glass' painting on plexiglass, learning all I can about plants and speaking at gardening events on perennials.

How long have you been gardening? Since I was little, first helping my mom with her huge garden and then later having a garden at my aunt's place when we were newlyweds and lived in an apartment in Winnipeg...now owning our 10 acres and having lots of room to garden, both vegetable and flower.

Where is your garden located and what is its size? The huge vegetable garden is at the end of the lane, all fenced in with an 8' fence to keep deer out. The flower gardens are closer to the house...to the south and west of the house, beside the garage on both sides, under two large maple trees and the largest one was the original vegetable garden...175' x 55' here by the house.

Courses in Horticulture? nope...does working for a garden center for 4 months qualify?

What are your specialities in gardening? all kinds of perennials.

Favorite Flower? daylily

Favorite Tree/Shrub? lilacs

What has been the best-performing plant/plants in your gardens? none better than others.

Most Challenging Plant? can't think of any

Favorite Garden Magazines? Gardens West, Manitoba Gardener, Saskatchewan Gardener

Favorite Garden Books or resources? on line forums here at the Garden Web and browsing for specific topics on line.

What is your favorite tool? a mini rake with its handle broken off 1/2 way down, along with a mini shovel I got for my birthday in June from my daughter.

What are you most comfortable in when gardening? old slip on shoes, shorts and a tank top in the summer along with rubberized gardening gloves. Now, in the fall, same shoes, blue jeans and an orange hoodie that was my DH's.

What has been your best garden purchase or project? best garden purchase...a quad with a trailer to haul mulch with to the flowerbeds. Best garden project...our yard!

Any projects in the works or planned? ...the area (175' x 55') I am working on for the past 10 years or so, still in the process of making walking paths and planting up all sorts of perennials, shrubs, bulbs, etc and mulching it all. Lots of work but it is starting to take shape!

If you had an unlimited budget, what would you do with your gardens? Plant lots of daylilies with chicken fat, blue eyes and others like spiders that your eye would be drawn to. Plant all the shade areas full of martagon lilies and fill the rest of the shade with expensive slug resistant hostas. Find all the ITOH peonies I don't already have and plant them in the sunny areas in the flowerbeds. Hire someone to come in and finish helping me put the flax mulch down in the flowerbeds so I don't have to weed as much. Then have someone come in just to weed for me. As for the deer problem...an 8-10' fence all around the acreage so that our border collie wouldn't have to work so hard!

If you could invent a plant, what would it look like? A daylily that would not only last for a day but rather at least a week.

Describe an experience with a garden pest that had you ready to throw in the trowel? none yet.

What advice do you have for the novice gardener? Label your new purchases with copper tags so you always will know what you planted. Keep a database with all the info from that perennial from what you paid, who you got it from, where it is in your yard to the hybridizer, its color etc, etc. And mulch, mulch, mulch so you don't have to spend so much time on the upkeep of your beds.

What is your motivation for gardening? It is peaceful out there in the yard. I can really appreciate all the beauty God has created when I look at each flower. The eye candy He created for us with all the colors, the shapes and how wonderfully and perfectly each flower is formed. I love to show people the flowerbeds and all the kinds of perennials that can grow in our zone 2b garden. This in turn motivates them to try to grow new plants and more varieties of perennials in their yards.

Brenda

• luckygal
    15 years ago

This is such a good idea! I've wondered if some of you could have been my neighbors in the various places I've lived. Anyhow it's nice to be "online" neighbors now.
    GW Name - luckygal
    What does your GW name stand for? - I don't really believe in "luck" but I feel very blessed to have survived so well this long.
    Real Name - Katie
    Age - 66
    Companion - same husband for over 42 years
    Children? - 3 nice adult kids and 6 wonderful grandkids
    Pets? - 3 indoor cats, 2 we chose from the SPCA and 1 who chose us - he just wondered by one day and needed feeding, and one outdoor feral cat we feed who keeps the mice under control. We're between dogs.
    Where do you live or used to live? - have lived in rural BC near the middle of the province for almost 20 years, originally from the west coast of BC, have lived in Alberta, Manitoba, Ontario, Quebec, New Brunswick, and Germany
    Zone? - 3b (according to the Canadian Zone Map)
    Do you work? - yes, but since I retired I don't get paid as much for it! Have been a jill-of-many-trades and master of a few.
    Companion Occupation? - ex-military, retired teacher
    Other interests besides gardening? - various crafts, sewing, knitting, crochet, reading, computer, yard saling, repurposing yard sale finds, interior decorating (DH calls me Martha when I get too obsessed), photography, traveling now that we are retired
    How long have you been gardening? - 60 years at least (difficult even for me to believe) - my parents were avid gardeners and I helped from an early age.
    Where is your garden located and what is its size? - we have a large acreage and the garden is near the house, sort of large city lot size but could be larger.
    Courses in Horticulture? - no, self-taught, but with many mentors
    What are your specialities in gardening? - propagating houseplants but I'm no longer doing that as it tends to get out of hand (who really needs 30 diefenbachia?), I like growing perennials from seed and nurturing yard sale plant finds, I like planning my garden then deviating from the plan. My DH would say it's leaning on my shovel and telling him what to do!
    Favorite Flower? - delphiniums, Lady's Mantle, geranium Vancouver centennial (more for it's foliage) are a few
    Favorite Tree/Shrub? - dogwood altho it doesn't grow in our climate
    What has been the best-performing plant/plants in your gardens? - shasta daisies and feverfew which are overly prolific self-seeders, irises, delphinium, Lady's Mantle, various poppies, Autumn Joy, and lots more - I'd have to think.
    Most Challenging Plant? - lavender, I started with 3 plants a few years ago and have one left which seems to struggle to survive every year. I think I need to create a mini-climate which is dryer and warmer but it's easier to just visit a lavender farm and buy some dried.
    Favorite Gardening Quote? - "I appreciate the misunderstanding I have had with Nature over my perennial border. I think it is a flower garden; she thinks it is a meadow lacking grass, and tries to correct the error." ~Sara Stein, My Weeds, 1988
    Favorite Garden Magazines? - have only ever taken Gardens West and Harrowsmith subscriptions but no longer - occasionally borrow from the library, there is much more info online
    Favorite Garden Books or resources? - have 4 of Lois Holes' books which I use, some old gardening books I seldom read, Richters herb catalogue which is fun to dream with, online sites and forums
    What is your favorite tool? - my little red wagon which I use instead of a wheelbarrow in the house yard. DH got me a second one, a green one to use out in the back-40 for picking sticks. Both yard sale finds $10 each. I also really like using our old cement mixer, it's like this huge noisy toy! We've made hypertufa pots, concrete rhubarb leaf stepping stones, and I like mixing my own garden-healthy mulch in it.
    What are you most comfortable in when gardening? - shorts, shell or t-shirt, flip-flops mostly or heavy workboots if I have to dig, if it's cold fleece pants and tops, same footware, cotton gloves changed frequently when muddy or rubber gloves occasionally, depending on what I'm doing.
    What has been your best garden project? - When we had a new water line dug they struck rock the entire way so DH hauled huge rocks in the tractor bucket and created a rockery on a slope near the house. It's become overgrown so I need to replan and replant soon but I love those huge half buried rocks. He also more recently built me a large decorative-only birdhouse out of old barnboard and it's in the garden all summer and on the verandah in the winter.
    Any projects in the works or planned? - started a lasagna bed this summer over part of the lawn and we're adding to it, hope it produces great veggies next year. Am thinking about a garden house, probably plan it over the winter. Would love to enlarge the garden area more but I think that might be biting off more than I can do.
    If you had an unlimited budget, what would you do with your gardens? - I've always wanted a bobcat to play with but with an unlimited budget I'd probably hire a landscaper and gardener also and keep them busy for awhile. Buy a hammock and watch them work! Cottage style all the way with gazebo, ponds, streams, bridges a la Monet's garden.
    If you could invent a plant, what would it look like? - hardy for my zone, resistant to all plant problems, long-lived perennial, very blue and it would look just like my delphiniums but smell like a spicy rose. Would that seem weird or what?
    Describe an experience with a garden pest that had you ready to throw in the trowel? - being "bug-phobic" I try not to think about them and the birds eat most of the bugs in the garden altho we have zillions of ants, also voracious deer, and pine, spruce and fir beetles in the forest. Plant pests are dandelions, wild yarrow, chickweed, and various pasture grasses that seed. I try to be organic but occasionally use ant dust around the perimeter of the house so they don't eat it! Otherwise it's live and let live here. Parts of the lawn are turning into yarrow groundcover which I may address, or not. Hey, it's green.
    What advice do you have for the novice gardener? - Join your local garden club, read everything you can about gardening - discover gardening forums and online sites, read library books, start composting, plan a bit, then just get out and do it your way and have fun. Don't waste a lot of money on expensive plants until you actually have good soil to plant them in. We learn more from our mistakes than our successes so don't be afraid to try.
    What is your motivation for gardening? - I'm incapable of not gardening, it's in my genes.

• mytime
    15 years ago

Interesting to see new profiles after so long! A special welcome to Teresa (tc4alaska), who lives just up the road from me! If you're reading this, Teresa, maybe we can meet next summer. There are several of us in the valley.
    while reading the newest posts, I realized that since I wrote mine 4 years ago, things have changed a lot in my life. Let's see:
    I now have 4 grandchildren, who love the fruits, vegetables, and flowers in the garden.
    My garden has changed and expanded quite a bit, thanks to needing to replace the septic system summer of 2007. Rather than replant grass, the entire area is going to be a cottage garden. I can hardly wait to see what it looks like next summer. It was difficult to get work done with all the rain we had, but I'm proud of how much I did accomplish.
    Any projects in the works or planned? ORIGINAL ANSWER from 4 years ago:
    Always, too numerous to even write down, but here's a few-- 1)finish putting in bark trail in front of the rock wall I made 15 years ago so the grass will quit growing up in it (a look I initially liked until I found I couldn't control it) 2) finish the section of the side yard I started 3 years ago 3) bury the bathtub I just got this week for bog plants....
    NEW ANSWER: still doing 1 and 3, 2 was finished but got torn up by the replacement of the septic system, so doing it over again.
    Maybe in 2009 I'll actually finish something!

• sierra_z2b
    15 years ago

Welcome luckygal Katie.

I like your gardening quote....hee hee..you might not want to mention that to Savona though..hahahahaha

"I appreciate the misunderstanding I have had with Nature over my perennial border. I think it is a flower garden; she thinks it is a meadow lacking grass, and tries to correct the error." ~Sara Stein, My Weeds, 1988

Sierra

• kathy_h_grower
    15 years ago

I just found this and love it.
    I'll answer the questions tomorrow when I'm not so tired.
    Kathy

• northernflwr
    15 years ago

GW Name - northernflwr

First thing I noticed about my property were the flowers and my hope to make the small amount into a huge amount :)

Real name

Age - 44

Companion - big drooly dog

Children? Grandchildren? Nope

Pets?
    Mastiff and two cats.

Ontario

Zone? 3a/b I think

Do you work?
    Starving artist.

Companion Occupation?
    Drooling and protecting me.

Making art.

Helped out my parents but this year will be my first real attempt at both veg and flower garden :) woot!

5hrs north of God's country (Toronto).

Courses in Horticulture?
    Nope.

Daydreaming about my garden to be.

Favorite Flower? at the moment Clematis

Favorite Tree/Shrub?
    Weeping willow

Orange lilies (mom's garden) and mint.

Most Challenging Plant?
    clematis

If I water it maybe it'll come back.

none at the moment

the web and picking other peoples brains

shovel...only used for snow at the moment

baggy pants, old shoes and a hat

this will be the first and best fingers crossed

Relocate many of the existing plants here and plant a whole bunch of new stuff.

Complete private nest...giant fence, climbing vines with flowers surrounding the whole lot...greenhouse...to name a few

A hardy climbing flowering vine that could grow to the heavens and never lose flowers even during the winter.

In Toronto the racoons and squirrels would dig up everything.

I am a novice.

Create a santuary and grow food to be more self sustaining.

• Crazy_Gardener
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Welcome to the FN forum northernflwr!

My intro is so outdated, geez, I'll be 48 this summer, been with DH 16yrs, I can finally grow Beebalm and I have Nick and Panda as my new pets.

Glad to see this thread still bumps up to the surface. Your turn Kathy ;)

Sharon

• cmmwiebe
    15 years ago

Just found this thread and must have seen it before but forgotten about it. Here I go! Forgive the printing errors as I copied this out of Word.
    GW Name - cmmwiebe
    Our family member initials and last name
    Real Name - Clayton
    Age - 63
    Companion married for 30 years in May.
    Children? One and we are hoping for a daughter in law sometime soon
    Pets? Ed the cat, and Jacob and Molly the dogs are Golden Retriever X Chow cross
    Have lived on an acreage near Saskatoon since 1981 and before that at or near Nipawin, Saskatchewan
    Zone? 2b (according to the Canadian Zone Map) or edge of 3
    Do you work?
    I am retired but work casual at the University Hospital here as a Porter in the Blood Bank
    Companion Occupation?
    Retired Medical Lab Tech. who still does the odd shift
    Just started wood turning in winter months and otherwise keep on planting in my basement Started a small research project in Edible Blue Honeysuckle about 2 years ago.
    About 35 40 years.
    We live on an acreage so it is hard to keep it down but right now about an acre north of Saskatoon
    Courses in Horticulture?
    2 Years at Olds College in General Horticulture and other little short courses from time to time. Enrolled in the Master Gardener Program but find I am too busy just doing it.
    General flowers and fruit trees but right now my concentration is on Blue Honeysuckles.
    Favorite Flower? Morning Glories
    Favorite Tree/Shrub?
    Hard to pick!
    What have been the best-performing plant/plants in your gardens?
    Somniferim poppies continue to pop up from when my mother-in-law lived here and our Nanking Cherries continue to do very well.
    Challenging Plant?
    Because of droughty conditions in this area, almost every plant can be a challenge...
    Dont really have one but if I made one up it would go like "Keep planting, something is sure to grow and survive!"
    One with the article about something I have an interest in. Get Harrowsmith and Canadian Gardening.
    Non in particular. I like the Internet Forums best.
    A Canadiana 3hp tiller bought in about 1982 and still going strong and has not needed repair ever.
    California fieldworkers coverall cotton/polyester kind of coverall very lite weight short sleeves. And always a wide brimmed hat these days.
    What has been your best garden purchase or project?
    Still working on that! Hope to have a small greenhouse.
    As above. Also need to break more ground for seedling Blue Honeysuckle plantation.
    I would cover my old farm yard with a dome! The -40 C temps and high winds here are a killer.
    Still too many to discover that are already on earth.
    Not really into defeat! I plant, God waters they either grow or they die. More seeds are always available.

Look around to see what you like if it is for show. Plant what you will eat if it is for food.
    We live in such a severe gardening climate that just seeing things survive is a thrill. New life is always exciting.
    Clayton

• debbie_z2
    15 years ago

I've been "gone" since fall, (computer crash, and then just VERY busy:) just got around to checking in with many I have met & say "Hello" and answer this below.

GW Name - debbie_z2

"me"

Real Name - this is a tough one -"Debbie"

Age - 45

Companion - divorced

Children? Grandchildren? 1 son, 26yrs old (and daughterinlaw:) plus two adorable granddaughters age 4yrs & 1yr

Pets?
    Unfortunately, I had to put down my dear old mini daxie of 15yrs last november "Garth"(use to show/raise them) and now am a household of all Australian Shepherds
    Ethan - 10yrs, CC - 7yrs, Sunday - 7yrs, Dyna - 6yrs, Favor - 21mths, Reegan-10wks, Frannie-10wks (yes, a full house:)

Hayter, Alberta - pretty much my whole life. (other than a couple of years in Edmonton)

Zone? 2b I believe

Do you work?
    Full time at the Provost Hospital in Dietary for 20yrs.

Show Australian Shepherds (daxies prior) for the past 24yrs, have dabbled/trialed in agility & stock work as well. Showing dogs & gardening as well the grandkids are my "passion".

Grew up in a very large family on the farm, and my love of gardening was certainly influenced by my parents, grandparents and aunts/uncles. But "seriously" gardening just the past few years.

I now live in a hamlet, with 2 lots...mainly full sun exposure.

LOLS...umm...anything coming back each year is a "specialty" I guess:)

Favorite Flower? this is tough...love lilies, peonies, roses, daylilies

Favorite Tree/Shrub?
    Love so many, but am so impressed with my Rose Glow Barberry

my favorites above

Most Challenging Plant?
    Iris's! arrghhh...

Canadian Gardening and several others for inspiration

Lois Holes books

my spade

shorts, t-shirt and clogs

Still a work in progress, but would have to say my pondless waterfall.

To finish planting around the waterfall, to build a pergola nearby, and would love to build a bridge to go over a small dry creek I want to put in, and many more

well...would probably lift my favorite plant material and start all over with how I WISH I done it the first time around!

I find it is such a stress reliever to be just outside all day planting, weeding or watering...and with oldest granddaughter loving to help me, makes it a really special "time" spent together. And at the end of the day, sitting outside and looking at how things are starting to come together makes me feel good(and turn ones back on the projects in progress:)
    On another note, I want to thank all of you who have posted over the years for all your invaluable advice!! I've learned SO much from all of you!
    Thanks
    Debbie

• bdgardener
    15 years ago

GW Name -bdgardener
    What does your GW name stand for? Where I live, Black Diamond

Real Name - Cheryl

Age - 35

Companion - Hubby, Shawn 13 years
    Children? Grandchildren? Two, Boy 6 Girl 18mos

Pets?Dog, Novia, Barn Cats, Four horses soon to be five, mini pony, and cows

Where do you live or used to live? Black Diamond, Ab

Zone? 3
    Do you work? Stay at home mommy for now, although I think the hubby wouldn't mine me going back. I have a Bkin and I'm a RMT
    Other hobbies besides gardening? Love my horses, can't wait till the kids cooperate alittle more so I can get back in the saddle.

How long have you been gardening? For as long as I can remember. Grew up in a farming family, although my mom gardens both my grandmothers were passionate. I got the bug from them.

We live on a 1/4 sec, that is native grass. The yard is about an acre and a half total. My goal is not to have any grass to mow. Every year there is less and as the kids get older there will be none. They can play in the field.

Anything I can get to grow. I like to start seeds too.

Favorite Flower? Every year it seems to change, I have lots of lilies, I would like to get a few more roses.

Favorite Tree/Shrub?Fruit trees, I would like to have an orchard, although I think it is going to be a struggle, but this forum does give me hope.

My lilies and iris

Most Challenging Plant?
    beebalm, hasn't done much yet

Canadian Gardening and gardens west, but i have been disappointed in them lately

any i can get my hands on, it has been such a long winter

my hands and my felco pruners

jeans and tees and a baseball cap, pretty much my regular clothes. I have been out there in jammies.

My hubby built me a greenhouse, made from a garden shed and a bunch of recycled windows. Still needs some work, but keeps the frost off most of the tomatoes.

pushing out the garden fence, the cows and horses can reach the saskatoon bushes, and planning to put in a huge strawberry patch, mine can't keep up with one child let alone two and a hubby.

heat the greenhouse year round, start an orchard

It feeds the body and the soul. I love knowing where my food comes from and I find it very relaxing.

I love this forum, everyone is so friendly and so willing to share their knowledge and it always brings a smile to my face. Thanks, Cheryl

Sponsored
Dave Fox Design Build Remodelers
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars49 Reviews
Columbus Area's Luxury Design Build Firm | 17x Best of Houzz Winner!