Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
nutsaboutflowers

If I Were New at This, I'd Never Do it Again!

nutsaboutflowers
13 years ago

Well, as we all know, it's been a crappy growing season.

We had a few weeks of nice weather where the plants were doing well (even if it was months too late), and now ....

Blowing snow all over the place and nothing's had a chance to go dormant !

If this were my first year gardening, I'd never do it again.

I hope there's not too many newbies out there.

Comments (10)

• DrHorticulture_
    13 years ago

Don't worry too much about it. The snow will protect the plants against the colder temperatures coming on Thursday morning, and the cold right now is nothing that Prairie perennials can't take :) I actually think we have had a picture-perfect fall with a gradual cool down to prepare the plants. Last year, however, was nasty with the topsy-turvy weather! I also think last year's summer was way worse with all those June and July frosts, atleast in Toontown.

• northspruce
    13 years ago

I agree, wet snow isn't a problem. You really don't want the ground to freeze when it's dry. So far we're just getting rain but there's snow in the forecast tomorrow. Anyway it will melt and we will get a couple of nice days to cover stuff up. Cause I said so. LOL.

• nutsaboutflowers
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Drhorticulture - You said perennials would be fine. I'm not too worried about the lilies and daylilies, etc. ( And Northspruce said wet snow isn't a problem)

Northspruce - "Cause I said so". You're hilarious =:)

Do you suppose the roses and my new Little Giant Cedars, Blizzard Mock Orange, Bridal Wreath Spirea, and Bailey Compact American Cranberry bush, will be O.K.? They've only been in the ground for about two months. The Burning Bush was planted only a month ago. My new Amur Maples lost their leaves a while ago, so I'm thinking they'll be fine.

I think I'll go to sleep now and could someone please wake me up when spring comes.....

• marciaz3 Tropical 3 Northwestern Ontario
    13 years ago

Everything should be fine.

You know you wouldn't give up. :) Gardening is something that's in a person's soul - you've gotta do it! I do agree on the hibernation thing, though - there are many winter days when i'd rather be sleeping!

Gil, we need Sierra to come back and do her dances! LOL

• nutsaboutflowers
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Marcia I guess you're right. It does become something that you just need to do. If I have to choose between tidying the house or gardening, there's no choice to be made. It's always the garden =:)

I know a person who moved from a house with a fabulous, immaculate yard and garden, to a condo. I think I would be devastated. I guess I'll wait for spring. =:)

13 years ago

No contest between housework and gardening! LOL

I often wonder what i'll do when it's too much for me. Hopefully that won't be for a long time. There's a woman here who's in her 90s now. She told me several years ago that if i didn't see the planters in front of her house, it would mean that she was dead. LOL They were darn ugly planters too - half barrels that she had painted yellow! :O She's now in the seniors apartments here, but the planters, now a respectable shade of green, are still out there!

• nutsaboutflowers
    Original Author
    13 years ago

It's really too bad she wasn't able to take those planters to the yard of the seniors apartments.

I wonder if she ever sees them, or if nobody ever takes her past the house to have a look at them.

It's funny how people get attached to certain things. Last year I was driving past a house and saw that they had recently chopped down 3 large evergreen trees. I was devastated. I was there when they were planted !

So, I guess even if I were new at this, I'd probably do gardening every year over and over again. The terrible weather just seemed never ending this year.

13 years ago

Oh no, i meant that the planters are at the seniors apartments and she still plants them every year. The building itself is full of her plants - trees in the stairwells, African violets and geraniums on the window sills. It drives all the other people in there nuts! LOL

• trisha_51
    13 years ago

That's wonderful that the senior center lets her have her plants! More power to her! I'd be the same way. :)

• nutsaboutflowers
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Oh, I must have read too fast and too late at night.

I'm glad she still has her plants and her half barrel planters. She's probably a lovely person =:)