Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
northspruce

Fall Birds - and need an ID

northspruce
11 years ago

These are what are hanging around with my chickadees and juncoes this fall. The first three are the same bird, maybe not the same individual. I don't know what they are - help! I'm stumped!

It has a pale breast with indistinct buffy spots, a definite yellow area under the bill, and the back was darker with at least one wing bar. The legs and feet were quite pink/red. the bill was conical like a finch or sparrow. It was a slower bird and perched for several minutes at a time.

Here's a red-breasted nuthatch. They're around all day but I can't get a great shot because they're so busy!

Here is the bigger white-breasted nuthatch

And this was either a sapsucker or a downy woodpecker... I just missed it! LOL

Comments (20)

• marciaz3 Tropical 3 Northwestern Ontario
    11 years ago

Well, that guy sure is different! Definitely finch-like, though. Pudge is a bird person - maybe post the picture on Facebook.

I don't have feeders up yet as we usually wait until later in the season for that. We have to move our main feeder now because dh built a small deck in front of the porch and the feeder is right over it. There's usually a mess under it. There's so many times that i try to take a picture of birds and it doesn't work!

• northspruce
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I am so so so so stumped. The only thing I can find that's close is a Hoary Redpoll or a Field Sparrow, but neither is quite right. A field sparrow at least has red legs...

• Pudge 2b
    11 years ago

I think your bird is a young female goldfinch showing fall plumage. The females aren't very showy at the best of times and as winter approaches they get even duller. One year I had goldfinch still at the feeders at christmas so they will hang around late into the year.

• northspruce
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks Pudge, I think you have a winner! My first reaction was no, the wings weren't black enough and goldfinches don't have red legs, but I'm looking at different photos and it seems their colouring is so variable. The little "V" tail gives it away, and what else would have that little bit of yellow under the chin. :)

11 years ago

Oh rats! I even thought that! And i would have been right, for a change!

• Konrad___far_north
    11 years ago

Great shots! pudge is right, the last of the three picture is a typical young little goldfinch.

• northspruce
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks Konrad. So should I put out some nyjer seed? I've been feeding just black sunflower.

• Konrad___far_north
    11 years ago

I love nyjer, I usually start this expensive seed in around November, mostly for red polls. Black sunflower is also what I feed and goldfinches do eat sunflower seed.

• northspruce
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I have a bag of nyjer, I just need to get a tube feeder for it. I tried putting it in my gazebo feeder in the spring and it all blew out. :(

• northspruce
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I had a new guy at the feeder this morning. I'm pretty sure it's the non-breeding male goldfinch. Think so?

• Konrad___far_north
    11 years ago

These are Pine Siskin, note.. sharp-point beak.

• northspruce
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Ah! Thanks Konrad. I can add a new one to my list of feeder visitors this year. :)

• northspruce
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Couple of newbies recently. The first I think is a male Goldfinch:

And this has to be a House Finch, even though both my bird books say they don't live here. But they're introduced and spreading, so I think that's what this is.

• Konrad___far_north
    11 years ago

Yes, I would say you're right, strange that you still have Goldfinch around.

• northspruce
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Yay, I finally have some pine grosbeaks, a flock of about 10 and a couple of redpolls.
    Mister:

Mrs.:

And a redpoll

11 years ago

We have a really chubby Mrs. here. If i didn't know any better, i'd say she was with.....eggs! LOL

• Konrad___far_north
    11 years ago

Nice, northspruce!

No redpolls here yet, it seems every year they come around December.

• Ginny McLean_Petite_Garden
    11 years ago

Great bird shots! I can't get that close to my feather dusters and I probably need a better camera anyway. The finchs are abundant this winter; house and purple. Also had regular visits from my flicker friends. Lots of jays and of course, my black and white brats!

Marcia, everything is fat around here! Lol!

Ginny

11 years ago

I think that grosbeak was injured. I found her this afternoon hanging around my [frozen] pond. I probably just about stepped on her when i was putting up the Christmas lights. :-/ Anyway, she couldn't seem to fly, though i thought i saw her flying yesterday. She was around for awhile, but i was busy (we were putting in a new kitchen window!), and later when i looked for her she was gone. I'm hoping that she got away somewhere and that the dog didn't get her.

• northspruce
    Original Author
    11 years ago

My camera is 50x optical zoom but the most recent shots are just okay because I cheated and took them through the kitchen window. ;) Too cold to stand around outside convincing grosbeaks to look cute. The pine siskins were taken from outside, you can see the quality difference LOL.