Return to the Far North Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Have you seen the meteorite?

Posted by konrad___far_north 3 (My Page) on
Sun, Nov 23, 08 at 0:07

I have, was driving just south of Beaumont, near highway 21, when driving south on RR 233 gravel road about 5.30 pm Thursday night when all of a sudden the sky on the east lit up, of coarse you had to look, a very bright yellow streak with ball in front came down, at end of the show, which lasted a few second, the now not so bright fire ball puffed or exploded into smaller parts and seeing many smaller fire bits coming to earth.

It kind of interest me, how other people seen it, from other areas, eventually pinpointing the debris area....if any fragment made it to the ground??
I don't think I'll be going hunting for any, just love to hear your wittiness account.
Actually, my wife was driving behind me, [I had to drop of my Car by a mechanic for a clutch replacement on my 1986 VW].
When I asked her later, she said that she thought of someone letting up some fire works.
See, how conflicting some eyewitteness account come to be. LOL
As we know, we always think the meteorite was "very close", most often they are hundreds of kilometre's away.
This one was a huge meteorite with a very large glow, this make it even appear closer to you.
To my estimation, it appeared to come down somewhere near north of Camrose. I know, when making this easement, it's most often not true, because it's a elusion, coming from the earth curvature.

Konrad

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Have you seen the meteorite?

I was at work feeding residents when a bright light flashed in our big huge dining room window, we all thought it was fireworks.

Sharon

Here is a link that might be useful: Watchers gaze up in wonder as light flashes across sky

o

Cool!
Yesterday, some of it was found in a pond, about 40 km south east of Lloydminster.
I'm puzzled....people seen the meteorite come down south east of Wainwright, over 100km further south.
In this case, the spread of debris is much greater then it was said on the news......I'll better check my pond too LOL.

Konrad

o

My son was home this weekend. He was just leaving Lloydminster to head back to Wainwright when the meteor streaked by. The sky turned blue, like daylight, and everything was really bright. His first thought was that they had been t-boned in the intersection and he was dead. Same with the guy driving - his reaction was "hello, God". Pretty awesome to be that close.
Connie

o

I'll sure be keeping my eyes open for any strange rocks on my acreage, but thats like finding a needle in a haystack!

Apparently some folks thought it was the end of the world or a war missle aimed at the army base here in Wainwright.

Sharon

o

Just to add to that... my roomate was driving home from work and came in and said it was lightning outside... a bright lightning... we later found out it was the meteor flying past us here in The Pas in Northcentral Manitoba, close to the Sask border...

Rob

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Far North Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here