Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
crazy_gardener

Lily Nook on TV

Crazy_Gardener
16 years ago

I just finished watching Recreating Eden on The Knowledge Channel. It was about The Lily King, the small prairie town of Neepawa, Manitoba is now claimed to be the World Lily Capital thanks to the work and passion of Barrie Strohman.

Oh man, I couldn't believe how many lilies that he has growing in his fields, it must be so beautiful to see in person! I can't wait till summer now!

Sharon

Here is a link that might be useful: The Knowledge Channel

Comments (6)

• Laurie_z3_MB
    16 years ago

Oh rats! That would have been a great show to see. I'll have to try and see if I can catch a re-run of it later in the season. But, having been there in person, it really is a sight to see!

See Sharon, now you'll really have to make a trip to Manitoba......July is one of our best flower months.;0)

• Crazy_Gardener
    Original Author
    16 years ago

It was just by coincidence that I was playing Scrabble on the computer and lo and behold I heard "lilies" on the TV and ran up to see what's on. I hardly ever watch that particular channel, let alone tv and here it was featuring The Lily Nook.
    It was such a good program, they also showed the Lily festival that you guys have each year too. Unbelievable!

Barrie is such an amazing plantsman and so healthy and mighty for his age! His family must be so proud of him. The had a scene there where Barrie is up in the wee early morning and the sun was just coming up and you see him in the mist of all his lilies, it was just breathtaking to see.

I know Laurie, I would love to visit there someday, I would also like to take a trip (just 2 hours away) and visit Valley K as well. Too much to do, so little time. LOL

Sharon

• Laurie_z3_MB
    16 years ago

Barrie is definitely amazing! We had him as a speaker for the garden club, and he's wonderful as a speaker too. He's very friendly, and boy does he know his lily stuff!

• plantaddict487
    16 years ago

Hi folks,
    I posted this a few days ago but not sure where it went. My apolgies if it shows up again.
    I caught the rerun of the Lily King episode of Recreating Eden last week and very much enjoyed seeing it again. The whole Strohman is fabulous for taking Barrie's 'retirment hobby" and making such a great business out of it.
    I just finished proofreadingthe Lily Nook's 2008 catalogue and am sorry to say my pockt book is going to be significantly lighter once it comes out. There are some really nice lovelies in this year's edition. It should arrive in January sometime.
    Merry Christmas to all!
    BJ in SW MB

• Crazy_Gardener
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Got the 2008 catalogue in today, yup you're right BJ, they're are some real beauties in there!

Sharon

• stanly
    16 years ago

Since I'm from Wpg, every year we go back and visit and I always try to be there in July and on the way back, we always drive straight to the display gardens and it's like eye candy! Awesome! Then we spend seveal hours walking through the gardens making a list of our favorites and then back to the Lilynook and the buying begins. I hardly ever leave without spending at least $100.00 and usually much more and last year was $148.00. That's a lot of $6.00 lilies. Some of the lilies like Original Love (LA) and First Crown and Fuego Crown (OA)were absolutley beautiful.