They're Back!!

Posted by beegood Zone 3 alberta (My Page) on
Fri, Nov 19, 10 at 9:40

Photobucket
PhotobucketPhotobucket

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: They're Back!!

Wow! Your pictures are awesome. Thanks for posting them.

o

Beegood, are there 2 of them or 4 ?

They're beautiful !

o

Great pics, I love seeing those guys!

o

Wow, awesome pics! We don't see pileated woodpeckers here in town but sometimes I catch a glimpse of one while driving. I always forget how big they are! :S

o

• Posted by beegood Zone 3 alberta (My Page) on
    Fri, Nov 19, 10 at 14:41

Thanx everyone. There are 2 of them. On the tree the male is on the right lower down. He has a red cheeck stripe.

o

We have them around here but i've never gotten such good pictures of them. Thanks for posting them!

o

Great shots!
I have never been able to take picture by myself, this one is from
my home brew sony trail camera.

Sept. 26, 2010

Konrad

o

Is that the camera you rig up yourself. Wish I could take that great a close up.Since you know all about cameras which is a good telephoto lens for the canon T2i that can be used with out a tripod. Mine is a 200mm but it just does not do as much as I like. Any suggestions much appreciated.

o

• Posted by marric Z5a Ontario (My Page) on
    Sat, Nov 20, 10 at 10:39

Great pictures! We had one here a while ago trying to eat from the sunflowers but the noisy blue jays scared him away. I've put out the suet feeder and hopefully he'll come back. Marg

o

Yes, this is from a used Sony I bought for about 40 bucks, add a
motion detector board $60, put into a pelican water tight box.
Hacking the camera and solder wires into, is the worst part.

Looks like you upgraded from G10?...good for you!
A birding lens should be at least 400mm. I have one with Image Stabilizer..very expensive, serious birders have 600mm and up. Most use it hand held..very heavy but you can put on tripod, which would be fine for feeder shots. I find the best birding lens for your bucks is the new canon power shot...no lenses needed, SX30IS, has 35X zoom which is I think about 840mm. My wife got this one for her Christmas gift.

Another self portrait Sony S600
Oct. 2010

o

A customer came in to the store where I work just yesterday, asking about a pileated woodpecker feeder. I tell you no lie; apparently, some entity makes them. He wasn't very forthcoming with information, but he said they were larger than regular...

Rick

o

Nice photos Beegood and Konrad! I sometimes have seen the pileated woodpeckers in the woods next to my home, though sightings are a rare occurrence. Deer, on the other hand are constant visitors, especially during winter.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Far North Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here