Winter protection

Posted by marciaz3 Tropical3/NWOnt (My Page) on
Tue, Nov 30, 10 at 10:22

We have enough now, thank you.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Winter protection

Marcia, there's about five inches of snow here, I hope more will soon fall to give additional protection. I've shovelled extra snow upon the tender roses that are planted near to the house.

o

Send a transport down and we'll fill you up!

o

• Posted by glen3a Winnipeg MB 3A (My Page) on
    Thu, Dec 2, 10 at 23:06

We have had 55 cm in November. Last year November turned cold and we had little snow cover, and it's my theory that's why I lost a few older established perennials. This year it was autumn type weather pretty well up to the middle of the month and then we got a large amount of snow in a short period. The plants should like that. Just to be safe, however, I like to pile mounds of snow around shrubs and over perennials, especially borderline hardy ones.

Still, admittedly, with this huge amount of snow and cold it's going to make the winter seem long.

o

I think the older you get the longer winter seems!

We had the same type of fall/winter last year, Glen, and i'm sure that's where many of my oriental lilies went. There was a lot of dieback on many plants and roses as well. This year, though, Mother Nature has done the snow piling for me!

o

My Brandon Cedars are hating this weather. They look rather battered and their color seems a little off. I doubt they liked it being summer one day and a blizzard within a week of that. As for the newly planted shrubs, they're almost completely covered in a ton of snow and it appears they're not minding it at all.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Far North Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here