Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
scg_

Major powdery mildew problem

Hi all, hopefully someone can help me. About a month ago a few of my roses started to show signs of powdery mildew. That is if I diagnosed it properly, a white powdery like substance on mainly the petals. Since it was late in the year I left it alone. It wasn't long before I seen it in parts of the lawn and on some perennials. Now it has spread to nearly everything and I am not sure what to do about it. I would honestly do anything to get rid of it now.

Here is a wide shot of the backyard to give you an idea of how bad it is. The roses are hard to see as they are small but they are on the fence line.

Thanks for taking the time to assist me with this problem

Comments (15)

• FrozeBudd_z3/4
    9 years ago

Shucks, looks like you've got it bad, it's even affecting the conifers! I did some research on the problem and the best treatment is the usage of heat from an intense ultraviolet source. I apologize that I won't be able to assist with the condition until about mid April, though then the cure, albeit temporary, shall be quick and effective and will also help to clear up any complexion problems you might have ... though, I can only guarantee an approximate six to seven month suppression period, as treatment is longer lasting in more southerly regions rather than within your zone 4 that you wishfully think of as zone 5. The "problem" is guaranteed to return, so no warranty is expressed or implied.

This post was edited by twrosz on Mon, Nov 10, 14 at 20:34

• marciaz3 Tropical 3 Northwestern Ontario
    9 years ago

My sympathies. You have it way worse than we do. Although i call it powery something else, not mildew! :>

• Konrad___far_north
    9 years ago

LOL, I have good news...you're not alone!

• SouthCountryGuy Zone 4b-5 SE BC
    Original Author
    9 years ago

twrosz - thanks for the offer. I decided to spray garden sulfur which made it disappear immediately. Problem is the stuff compacted my dirt, so severely I can't even get a shovel in now.

Marciaz3 - I had a feeling this was something else that started as mildew on some plants. It is very vigorous and has taken over most of the neighbourhood. We have found that this strain dislikes heat and while a tedious task I am slowly clearing patches of the yard with my heat gun. Why can't gardening be easy?

Konrad - sorry to hear you are also in my shoes. I am sure the heat gun or blow drier will work for you to kill it too. I am a tad bit frightened that because it is so vigorous that it will return. Did it make your soil unworkable too?

SCG

• FrozeBudd_z3/4
    9 years ago

Mmmmm, well, just trying to help ya out just a bit, lol ... though, this northern location has it's own even more severe and accumulating powdery mildew issues to deal with, just look what has occurred over the last few days.

From this ...

• FrozeBudd_z3/4
    9 years ago

To this ...

• Konrad___far_north
    9 years ago

Severe transformation, it also grows in minus 15C today,...lol SCG

Hunker down and wait it out!

Have a nice Memorial Day!

Original Author
    9 years ago

twrosz - It is quite obvious by the look of your lawn that we both missed applying the proper fall fertilizer. I still have the bag of 21-10-10 with 10% Spring sitting on my shop floor. I failed to use it last year and we had a miserable cold spring. Unfortunately the stuff is extremely slow time release and it can take 4-5 to do anything.

konrad - It is very evident that powdery mildew has the ability to suck the heat out of the air. We were +8C on friday then about 4pm the mildew started to show and we dropped to -16C. Don't have to be a genius to figure this one out!

SCG

• FrozeBudd_z3/4
    9 years ago

SCG, my soil is very lean and requires copious use of triple 20 to obtain a lush lawn, otherwise it's a thin and sparse looking nasty chartreuse colored powdery mildewed mess. Next year, I'm gonna attempt to get it all fertilized, sure it'll then require frequent mowing, though we intend to update the riding mower and get a good bagger installed so I can use the clippings to smother weeds in the flowerbeds. We hope to have ALL the lawn looking like the backyard. I take that your soil is also rather lean and rocky?

Original Author
    9 years ago

Twrosz heh I was just kidding actually. My yard is kind of tricky, I either have a couple inches of top soil on extremely hard hard-pan or it is compacted sand that has a nice 4-5" of organic topsoil. I, too, have to fertilize lots although I didn't get around to it this year and only had to mow the lawn 3 times LOL......

Your backyard is beautiful.

SCG

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    9 years ago

what a hoot ...

i have the same problem ...

fortunately.. it cures itself.. in later march or april ... lol

ken

• franked1
    9 years ago

Are you sure it is'nt globel warming & the cottenwoods are blooming again

• FrozeBudd_z3/4
    9 years ago

fez920 ... yes, the black poplars here sure can turn the ground white with seed fuzz. Several years ago, a fire had zipped through a nearby area when someone had been burning debris and the poplar fluff became ignited, I guess the stuff is very flammable and the fire raced along as if gasoline had been poured on the ground.

Had some radiant +8 C heat treatment occur the other day that did a fine job of clearing up most of the white stuff ... though, yet another 4" of thick "mildew" had fallen the past few days to cover up the nice green that had been showing.

This post was edited by twrosz on Sun, Nov 23, 14 at 21:14

• Konrad___far_north
    9 years ago

Have you noticed...more powder we got lately!

• FrozeBudd_z3/4
    9 years ago

Yes, we got a dump of about 16 inches of snow the other day and I'm glad we now have this thick blanket to protect the plants from the bitter cold of late.

Sponsored
Fineline Deck Builders
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars11 Reviews
Women Owned Construction Company Specializing in High Quality Decks