Return to the Far North Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Snow is here so lets talk about roses :)

Posted by SouthCountryGuy SE BC 5 (My Page) on
Wed, Nov 6, 13 at 12:39

Well the snow finally came and stopped any yard work that I had to finish. Also put an end to the job I had, hopefully for just a short time, so I am sitting at home thinking about next year.

This year I got bitten by the rose bug and even after many applications of 'after bite' the itch is still there. I have spent the past few months researching the net, asking questions on the rose forums and conversing with lots of you fine folks to come up with 'the list'. This 'list' I am calling the back bone of my rose gardens and will be made up of Antique or OGR roses (some classes are not considered either but I am not splitting hairs). The modern roses I have and those ordered will be planted to fit in with these.

While I understand that a lot of you can't grow some of these classes I would love to hear any comments, the good and the bad, you would have on any of these. I am not opposed to making last minute changes or additions even though I think this is 'IT'.

The backbone list:

Edits in Brackets with asterisk

Rugosa - Rosaraie de l'Hay, Rugelda, Blanc Double de Coubert
Hybrid musk - Penelope, Skyrocket [Wilhelm]
Hybrid Moyessi - Nevada
(Hybrid Foetida - Harrison's Yellow *removed from order, can obtain locally, yay!*)
Gallica - Tuscany Superb, Duchesse de Montebello
Setigera - Erinnerung an Brod
Damask (Portland) - Rose de Rescht, Comte de Chambord
Hybrid Spinosissima - Stanwell Perpetual
Bourbon - Boule de Neige, Louis Odier, Reine Victoria, Mme. Isaac Pereire
Alba - Maiden's Blush, Belle Amour, Celestial
Moss - Marie de Blois, Deuil de Paul Fontaine
Hybrid Perpetual - Reine des Violettes, General jack
Centifolia - The Bishop
Floribunda - Gruss an Aachen
Noisette - Mme Alfred Carriere

And last, but not least, is the unplanted moderns (a few of these are on order):

HT - Sunny Daze, Belami, Folklore, Oklahoma
Floribunada - Marina, Tournament of Roses, Iceberg
Grandiflora - Dream Come True, (Golden Celebration *informed today it was sold out to be replaced with 'Double Delight'*)
Shrub - Double Knockout, Folksinger, Emily Carr
Climber - John Davis

So if you have time and would like to comment it would be great. I would even like to hear any ideas on which you would plant together.

Thanks for helping kill the early winter blues and have a great day.

SCG

This post was edited by SouthCountryGuy on Thu, Nov 7, 13 at 1:26

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Snow is here so lets talk about roses :)

Gooood thread to start SCG, I'd also like to know the thoughts of others.

'Rose de Rescht' is a compact growing fragrant beauty well clothed in healthy foliage, individual blooms are short lived, though it flowers on and off for the entire season. I like this rose so much that I gave it a prime location where we frequently pass and can stick our noses into the very fragrant blooms.

'Emily Carr', an upright shrub with long lasting dark red blooms and large attractive foliage, often dies back to the snowline, though grows back vigorously, I need to plant another one of these!

'Therese Bugnet', for good reason, this Alberta developed rose is very well known.

'Ramblin' Red', canes do not winter in zone 3 unless laid down to the ground, though bounces back to produce high quality blooms all summer long, this is one of our all time favorite roses!

'John Davis', give this rose deeply prepared fertile soil and it should reward you by growing into a vigorous healthy climber. This year, mine had kicked into high gear and shot up to 10 feet tall.

The below is one of my best seedlings of 2013.

Terrance

o

Wow - that`s going to be some garden!!!! I can only comment on a few - John Davis is lovely - heavy with blooms, Rosaraie de l`Hay is fragrant and tough - I grew it in the NWT and Emily Carr is a really nice red everblooming rose. Now I can`t wait until next year to see the pictures!!!!!

o

Terry,

Love the information on how 'Rose de Rescht' does for you. I had heard so much conflicting information that it has been on and off my list for a month. How big does it get for you?

'Therese Bugnet' is definitely a rugosa high on the list. Maybe next year especially since it now has your approval.

'Ramblin' Red' is a fine looking climber. Wish my pocket book would allow more roses this year. 'Illusion' was on the top of my climber list but I will also watch out for this one.

'Emily Carr' and 'John Davis' were roses my father never got to planting. I figured they would do well here knowing their background. Appreciate the tip on amending deep for 'John Davis' and by deep do you mean over 12"?

I have seen a few of your hybrids on here and they have been all been stunning. If you would ever like to see how hardy they are here, and I don't mean by zone but by rookie gardener abuse, I would be happy to attempt to grow them.

Shillanorth,

Thanks for your input on the roses. The more places I ask and the more people I talk with the more confident I am on my choices. Then again who doesn't like talking roses!!

I most certainly will have pictures for you. I am so excited to plan and make gardens for these roses.

For anybody that has been following this forum for the year will be happy to know that the "Clearing By Mouth" category is going to be worth a pile more points after these roses go in.

We would love to hear from more of you on any or all of these roses.

Have a great night/day.

SCG

o

SCG, 'Rose de Rescht' is reliable favorite among several friends of mine. It responds well to a good top dressing of compost or being fertilized. It dies down close to the ground in my harsh climate, though rebounds to produce a well behaved attractive 3 ft shrub flowering right into fall frosts. I've read that this rose is generally more prolific in cooler climates.

For many folks, 'John Davis' often refuses to become a climber. This was also the case for myself, until I deeply dug and amended the soil to a good 2 ft x 3' wide, if you're all pooped out by the time you're finished digging, then you've done a good job ... don't forget to keep 'JD' well fed.

SCG, believe me, I'd love to send my roses out for you and other western folks to test, though I'm having testing done under the heat and humidity and disease pressure of eastern Canada. Below is a tall growing hardy shrub rose I've developed, it produces these beautiful intense yellow blooms all summer, but these drop their petals all too very quickly, so it won't be going on for further testing, but is being extensively used for breeding.

I hope many others will chime in about their favorite hardy roses, I'm also especially interested in good quality rugosas.

o

Terry, appreciate the additional information. I am really looking forward to 'Rose de Rescht' as so many people adore this rose. I am considering giving it a prime spot beside 'Morden Sunrise' and a walkway.

Regarding Rugosa's I, obviously, can't comment from experience but another forum member here turned me on to 'Blanc Double de Coulbert' and 'Rugelda'. If my weak memory serves me correct she was from Manitoba where nothing grows *wink* so they must be very vigorous and hardy.

The wife wants me to try my hand at budding a tree rose I am hoping to use a Rugosa for the trunk....

Do you grow any of the other classes like Alba or Gallica's? Any other favourites I can add to my list for 2015 order?

I will make sure 'JD' gets lots of good organic matter.

That yellow is gorgeous! I am curious as to if it has any fragrance and what you consider dropping petals too fast.

SCG

o

Hey SCG, I hear you talking about Manitoba there! LOL

SCG & I had some behind the scenes discussion about roses so I don't have too much to add, but I'll be putting together a winter order too so I'll be following along. I forgot to mention I also have a centifolia, Fantin Latour. It's not in the ideal spot but has been performing fairly well anyway.

Now I'll have to clear out some more lawn... sigh.

o

Northspruce, LOL I figured your ears would be ringing. What roses are you thinking about right now?

I have been in contact with Pickering and Palatine and am close to pulling the trigger. If I don't I will change my mind a million times till then.

SCG

o

SCG ...wonderful post! Snowed last nite and winter is now nudging me to a different routine also... and time to contribute to this valueable forum.

I must say that your selection of roses, in general, are the types of roses that interest me also...generally a group that may take a while to establish...but with great rewards. And you are so fortunately positioned two climatic growing zones (or more) above us other prairie gardeners.

As has been mentioned by Terrance, Rose de Rescht is a great choice...at least in our part of the world. This rose has passed the test of time for me and does bloom into fall - great fragrance and tough...after 10+ years, it is one of the most compact (3ft).

Not to complicate your life, an additional rugosa you may want to consider is Wild Edric...in the photo, it is on the right...Hansa on the left.

photo Julyroese065.jpg

You also are interested in noisettes...one of my favorite class of roses...Madame Plantier has been a real surprise for me and I would rank it with R de R, plus it is thornless...it does get quite tall...a fragrance bomb and disease resistant for me.

photo 014_zps41429e13.jpg

Often specific roses in a collection have a charm that warms or cheers you from within...a sort of magnetism that's not always measured by the masses as "perfection".

Terrance's yellow rose seedling has a most inviting bright, rich yellow...and I can see why he would use it in breeding...it's got the color that lures you closer...I hope we see more of it in the future.

o

• Posted by jel48 Z4 Michigan (My Page) on
    Fri, Nov 8, 13 at 13:04

What beautiful photographs! I can almost smell those beauties just by looking at them!

o

"Do you grow any of the other classes like Alba or Gallica's?" ... no, I don't, though after seeing Rosecavalier's photo and comments regarding 'Madame Plantier', I’ll need to be adding this beauty! I also really like the coloring of 'Wild Edric' rugosa.

Yes, my yellow shrub rose does draw the eye in, it is also fragrant, though I have to say it's a bit of an unusual scent. The petals already drop in their second day, though the plant carries many buds and is in flower for most of the summer and seems capable of passing on good traits to the next generation.

SCG, Palatine sells big husky rose bushes!

o

rosecavalier,

Thanks for your input and wonderful pictures. I love hearing from you folks that are a zone (or two.....or three!!) colder than I.

Most certainly 'Rose de Rescht' is getting a prime spot.

I will keep your recommendations of Rugosa 'Wild Edric' and Alba 'Mme. Plantier' on my list for next order. I definitely need more whites but am drawing the line on how many roses I order this year LOL.... I have a lot of work to do in the spring to make beds for these :)

Would love to see more photo's on these dreary days!!

SCG

o

SCG:

Re: sending "more photos on these dreary days"...I bet Terrance has a few more seedling photos that would impress.

You had mentioned your wife wanted you to bud a tree rose...I hope you do this as I think many of us would like to see if it is possible for us northerners. For a little inspiration, here is a photo I took this summer...the stalk was 4" in diameter...very old rose...rose is the hybrid musk Ghislaine de Filligonde...the French are pretty clever when it comes to this...perhaps you could adapt this to our area?

photo IMGP5719-Copy_zps185a2ad5.jpg

o

Terry, to bad that yellow is fragrant. If I could ask you a simple favour it would be appreciated. While it is three pronged it should take very little effort. First, if you could hand a tag on that yellow bush saying "yellow bush" next time you are in the yard. Now it gets even easier, alls I need is your address and when you won't be home sometime mid April. Thanks in advance :-)

I will see how both compare this year. I don't foresee a huge difference but one doesn't know. If palatine wasn't sold out of lots of what I want they would get about half the order.

Have a great day

SCG

o

SCG, I will be sure to hang a tag ... on the wrong bush, a big ole prickly rose situated in the middle of the neighbor's yard, those unfriendly folks to the west of me with the mean loud barking dogs, lol ... otherwise, when you're finished with what is sure to be a memorable episode, the coffee will be on and we'll have an early spring garden tour on my side of the fence ... sounds good with you?

Rosecavalier, 'Ghislaine de Filligonde', now that's a real beauty, I love how the yellow fades to white. Here's another seedling that has impressed me. It has blooms of heavy substance that last about three weeks before turning somewhat greenish and dropping cleanly, if it proves to be fertile, it might be a good one to cross with the rich yellow shown above.

o

This one has the best form of any of roses I have bred and should prove to be hardy to zone 3 or possibly colder. It did get a bit of black spot at the end of the season and only time will tell whether it's a keeper or not ... meanwhile, I'll heavily repeat the cross that had produced this beautiful seedling.

Terrance

o

rosecavalier,

That is a stunning rose tree. Terry is right, Ghislaine de Filligonde is an absolute stunner. I hopefully have located a source in Vancouver for it, I must have it!!! I have been doing a little research on rose trees as it will be my first time budding/grafting anything. I was thinking of a floribunda for the flowers and have been teetering over Lavaglut or Easy does it (wifes pick). If anyone has grafting advice I would be happy to hear it.

Terry,

LOL! Would love a tour. I am not sure if I will make it this year but the following for sure. Then I will also be able to bring you cuttings, if you so desire.

Those seedlings are, again, beauts. The latter with the nice dark red new foliage is wonderful. I hope this one tests well so you can get it in commerce for others to enjoy.

I must get my orders in before I read forums all winter, change my mind several thousand times then miss out because everything I want is sold out. LOL!

Love to hear from more of you on anything roses.

SCG

o

'Lavaglut' and 'Easy Does It' are both excellent roses, though 'Lavaglut' is definitely the hardier of the two. Good idea about making a rose standard, I think I'll borrow that thought and maybe use one of my above selections and chip bud this onto 'Hansa' stock.

SCG, if you're ever planning a trip this way (Edmonton region) in summer, then for sure you'd be most welcome to drop by!

o

I'm imagining myself covering that standard with leaves and burlap, LOL.

I also have Mme. Plantier, it's about 9 years old now. It's my favourite rose, very unique lax form and tiny foliage that looks like lace. I consider it an Alba but you sometimes see it classified as a Noisette or Centifolia. This photo was 2012, it's a bit bigger now.
MmePlantier photo P7010005_zpse5bdf0d6.jpg

Oh I found a photo of Celestial for you too. Love its greyish foliage.
 photo P7010029.jpg

So far I'm looking at (subject to change)
Westerland (shrub)
Vick's Caprice (hybrid perpetual)
Felicite Parmentier (alba)
Alba Maxima (duh)
Souvenir de la Malmaison (bourbon) (stretching that zone a bit)
York and Lancaster (if it freezes to death next time I will just light a $20 bill on fire in my front yard)
Roseraie de l'Hay (Rugosa)

Oh, and SCG you will like Double Delight. It's oh-so-hybrid tea but its colour variations are cool and the fragrance is delightful. I have had it for definitely over 10 years including one move, and it's quite robust.

o

Terry,

I appreciate the offer, even if I have to bring a pork chop for the neighbours dog :) I have relatives in the area and would love to come and see you and maybe to see Ginny, (she is trouble you know :) lol).

Northspruce,

you really enable me.. love the photo's too. Man they are great...

I was looking at SdlM hard but so many people had so-so comments on it in my zone I shy'd away...but next year it and Mutabilis are going to be here.

Ya, Double Delight I hope will be good. Glad to hear it does well for you ....

I think we need to start swapping cuttings LOL....

OHHHH....i got Ghislaine de Filigonde from a small mom and pop place in the fraser valley......no thanks to rosecavalier lol

I am going to place my order with palatine and pickering tomorrow morning... YAY!

I am trying to start slowly...is going from 1 to 40 roses in a year slow? OCD? heck no!!!

If anyone wants to pipe up on how to make a rose tree I would love it...or I will start a new thread lol....

have a great night all.....

o

Hi- I am dabbling in making tree roses here. It's not too difficult to do, but where you live, you'll need something that will survive winter budded high up on a root stock, likely above the snow line. So the traditional practice (root a 4' tall cutting of multiflora or other rootstock, then bud your scion on the top) might not work in zone 5; I'm not sure.
There is a "cheat" that people in zone 4 or 3 can do: grow a tall shrub like, say, Morden Centennial, prune it back to one central cane, grow that cane tall, then prune all branches off it from the base right up to the four-foot level so it looks like a grafted tree rose but is 100% own-root shrub. That's what I'd do if I was back in Calgary, say. Therese Bugnet might be a candidate for that treatment.
For the grafted tree-rose technique, if you want some ideas on rooting long canes, see how Kim Rupert does it here:
http://pushingtheroseenvelope.blogspot.ca
If you're new to bud-grafting, you could start with chip budding- http://scvrs.homestead.com/BuddingUltimate.html -and then later in the summer try t-budding which is a bit tougher to master but I have better success with it.
Good luck!

o

Donald,

Thanks for the links and advice. I think this will be a fun project to take on. Would there be any benefit of using a particular root stock or would a nice heavy cane off a rugosa or alba work? My choice of 'Lavaglut' was because it is the hardiest floribunda I know of. That being said the picture that rosecavalier put up of Ghislaine de Filigonde is so beautiful I am leaning on trying that one, too. Anybody know where to get multiflora seedlings?

I started a new thread incase others would like to learn about grafting roses.

North, that York and Lancaster is nice stripy looking rose. I hope it does well for you.

SCG

This post was edited by SouthCountryGuy on Sun, Nov 10, 13 at 11:41

o

Rugosa is often the choice stock for standards due to hardiness and longevity, also as DavidVancouver had suggested, 'Therese Bugnet' might be one to consider. As for obtaining multiflora seedlings, many years ago, I received some from Hortico.

Yes, if you do not want to provide protection for your standard, then it's important to select a variety that easily winters your zone 5 climate without the benefit of receiving snow cover. Many of my own selections are very hardy, such as the one shown below that usually winters to the tip after -40 C, such would be a good candidate for a carefree standard requiring no winter protection whatsoever.

"am trying to start slowly...is going from 1 to 40 roses in a year slow? OCD?" ... I'd say you have a moderate affliction, nothing that ordering a few more plants won't make you feel a bit better about, lol. I hope that your soil is good and the digging is easy? You'll have to tell us what roses have made the final cut? :)

SCG, don't worry about pork chops to distract the neighbors dogs, just bring some smokies and we'll throw a few logs on the fire pit :)

Chip budding is easy, the nice thing about this method is it can be done during a wide window of the growing season, whereas T budding has a more limited time frame. A link is given under the below photo.

Here is a link that might be useful: Chip budding info

o

Terry,

Thanks for the additional info. I am excited to try all these new techniques. Though I am going to have to go and get large cuttings from some old local roses to try on.

I haven't quite been able to find out why chip budding can be done for most of the year and 'T' budding only later. Nor when you can start and should stop. But will ask this on the other thread.

That is another nice rose. I love roses that start one color then fade to another making the bush look as if it blooms in a couple colours. That is why Ghislaine de Filigonde appeals to me so much.

My soil where these roses are going is very easy to dig. It is mostly sand so I put top soil, composted manure and composted bark mulch on top then rototill it in. I am acquiring a skid steer from my dads estate so I won't even have to wheel much :)

I have yet to hit the order button. I am getting 'cold' feet lol...i don't want to make a mistake. I am also thinking of digging up the 6 or so at my dads house as they were in a poor location and never bloomed. They are 'Morden Blush', 'Morden Ruby', 'Captain samuel holland', one "deck" rose, one I believe is 'Bill Reid' and another I couldn't find the tag for.

The list in my cart at pickering is:

Rugosa - Rosaraie de l'Hay, Rugelda, Blanc Double de Coubert
Hybrid musk - Penelope Skyrocket
Hybrid Moyessi - Nevada
Gallica - Tuscany Superb
Damask - Rose de Rescht, Comte de Chambord
Hybrid Spinosissima - Stanwell Perpetual
Bourbon - Boule de Neige, Louis Odier, Reine Victoria, Mme. Isaac Pereire
Alba - Maiden's Blush, Maxima (flip flopping over Maxima or Celestial)
Hybrid Perpetual - Reine des Violettes, General jack
Floribunda - Gruss an Aachen
Noisette - Mme Alfred Carriere

And at Palatine:

Alba Belle amour
Gallica Duchesse de Montebello
Setigera Erinnerung an Brod
Moss - Marie de Blois, Laneii
Musk - Felicia
Floribunda - Easy does it

I just need to finalize each.

Ghislaine de Filigonde is ordered from Fraser Valley Rose Farm pending confirmation from them...Donald do you know them by chance?

Thanks again for all the help and I think my next order might have to be from "Terry's Nursery" hehe.

SCG

This post was edited by SouthCountryGuy on Sun, Nov 10, 13 at 17:12

o

Hi again- I was not familiar with Fraser Valley Roses. Thanks for pointing them out- he/she writes well and they keep an interesting blog.
Another one to keep your eye on out this way is Select Roses. Brad Jalbert is breeding some very beautiful disease-resistant roses.
Re Terry's Nursery- if enough of us keep badgering him, maybe he'll bring some of these beautiful hardy hybrids to market!

o

Unfortunately, neither of these small rose companies will ship. Hope my mother doesn't change plans so I can get my ghislaine de feligonde rose....

I think we need to apply a little more pressure on Terry's Nursery. :-)

o

Hey I was just looking at your Ghislaine and thinking, gee, that looks a lot like my Goldfinch. So I looked it up on HMF and it turns out that Goldfinch is Ghislaine's seed parent. Very similar flowers; the difference is that Ghislaine apparently repeats and Goldfinch puts on a mad show early in the season and is done. Anyway if you get skunked with Ghislaine let me know and I'll send you some Goldfinch cuttings for you to root.

o

Donaldvancouver,

That is a very generous offer. I will see what my mom decides to do and let you know. If there is anything on my list that catches your fancy let me know.

o

SCG, have you yet pushed the button on your rose order ?

"I haven't quite been able to find out why chip budding can be done for most of the year and 'T' budding only later. Nor when you can start and should stop. But will ask this on the other thread."

This might have already been answered for you along the way ... T budding requires that the bark can easily be lifted away from the underlying wood for the desired budwood to then be set in place. Chip budding does not rely upon the need for the bark to lift, instead an amount of bark is removed from the stock and a bud along with some bark is cut to match what was removed from the stock and then wrapped into place. This method is easy with a high success rate and can be done from June until early September in my climate.

Terry's Nursery ... well, indeed I'm working on things and next year will be my biggest push yet with hybridization. I'm very critical of the plants I develop, though things are slowly moving ahead.

Northspruce, 'Celestial' does look very nice, I need to check it out.

o

Yes, I pulled the trigger and both orders are now in place. Now I have to stay off the forums so I don't get order regret.

Thanks for the info on budding. Donaldvancouver did explain that the bark took most of the season before it would peel off the cane to make budding possible. I am looking forward to trying these methods.

Re - Terry's Nursery you probably are being far too critical. I would place that fantastic yellow beside Morden Sunrise in what I call the 'glass corner'. The spot you can barely look at roses without them shattering, but they look and smell great with continual blooms so who cares :)

I am now forming a visual with Morden Sunrise, Fantastic Yellow, Easy does it and Rose de Rescht along the path with maybe Skyrocket in the background.....LOL I am sick, so sick......

SCG

o

Ohhhh Noooo.... 3 roses from Palatine I wanted are out of stock. Moss - Laneii, Marie de Blois, Alba - Mme. Plantier are gone. Now they don't have any Moss roses I am lit up about so I was thinking going with Mme. Legra's de St. Germain the alba and Rugosa - Dr Eckener with another musk in Cornelia. Anybody want in to play the pick another game with me?

o

'Easy Does It' tends to be more tender, I've read of many folks having lost this variety even in rather balmy zone 6, so next winter, you might wish to give this one some additional protection.

Yes, Palatine does sell out quickly and it's always a good idea to place an order ASAP after their website is up and running in early autumn.

o

Good tip on Easy does it. Any recommendations for a prolific, floriferous, bright and hardy rosé for a tree?

Talking to Rachel from palatine and she said they are shipping their largest order ever!

If I was wise I wouldn't add the 3 back orders. I think I have enough work to do. Then again what's a couple more!

This post was edited by SouthCountryGuy on Sat, Nov 16, 13 at 0:59

o

Sorry to bring this thread back up but we are looking at trying to plant the JD rose in our back yard this year (full sun) as a climber around an arch that we have.

Does anyone have any tips as to the best time to plant this bearing in mind frosts? I live in Calgary so it is zone 3 ish and last frost is usually around the end of May ish.

Thanks
Andrew

o

I plant mine as soon as they're received. I know some people pot them up but I plant them where they're going to stay. I always request the latest shipping possible - for Pickering's this is May Long weekend. The canes usually arrive with some pale growing shoots already sprouting. I just plant them like that and usually the shoots burn or freeze a bit (or die right off) but the canes will produce stronger ones. You can always cover them if hard frost is forecast.

Incidentally, I didn't end up placing a rose order this year and I'm glad I didn't. I still have snow drifts in my front yard and there's no way I'll have beds prepared for May Long weekend!

o

I am curious to know whether or not your buying a potted or bare root rose.

I forgot about this thread and thanks for bringing it back up.

I got my pickering order on April 7 and planted it that day and awaiting my order from palatine that should arrive on tuesday. YAY!

Donaldvancouver I got skunked on ghislaine and would like to take you up on your offer. I can be reached at filimek at me dot com ...thanks again.

Now would spring hurry up I am anxious to see first blooms (and growth!)

SCG

o

SCG, I was wondering how did your Reine des Violettes did this year, or did the deer munch it up ;-)

I'm sort of thinking of getting it.

From what I've read it needs to be fed regularly (sort of a prima donna) and it will have a 2nd flush only in it's 3rd year.

DId you grow it in part shade? How big it grew? Anything you liked, disliked so far.

What about General Jack? It was a very popular rose, in late 19th century.

o

Ahhhh,

Reine des VIolettes had a pretty much prime spot in my yard (no deer) and tossed out huge arms....while blooms where sparse , but steady, growth was vigourous. I do love the blooms and the scent is ahhhhhh to me.I think it tossed out 5-6 foot canes this year. It is covered in buds which I covered for the bad weather so I may be able to get photos for you.....

First year experience is positive. Oh yeah, I do, feed my plants on a regular basis.

General Jack never broke dormancy, among a company of others from that place....sigh... wish I could find it again...well in Canada.

SCG

o

Sorry to hear about General Jack. I was intrigued by it. When I was reading about HPs, there was half page of quotes about it. Apparently it was one of the top flowers grown by the flower trade. You know the good old times when roses where fragrant? I sincerely hope that Pickering gets back on their feet and offer their rare roses again. I always wondered why it fell out of fashion...

Good to hear your Reine is having a 2nd flush. I assume it's in full sun?

o

true-blue

Sorry I missed this over a month ago.

I, too, am disappointed on the few I lost. Of course, they were ones I REALLY wanted.

Regarding RdV, since my last post it has tossed out a few more canes and put on a lot of growth. It is taking on more of a low rambler habit, not really what I wanted for the placement I chose. I was expecting more of a tall arching habit as it is now 10' tip to tip along the ground. I think next year I will have to train it. Regarding sun exposure, yes it would be considered to be in full sun.

SCG

o

Thanks for the update SCG and no fret with missing my post!

I understand what you say about the tall arching habit, a trait of albas btw, but if RdV is cane hardy, you can try training it as a pillar or a fountain. The fact that it is thornless makes it good candidate for this type of treatment, plus you'll get more blooms that way :-)

- Bob

o

True-blue - I also have to mention that RvD was one of 4 out of all my roses that didn't get defoliated by the deer. It also bloomed, on what it had, consistently in flushes through the summer. I hope it grows into the tall arching habit or it will need to be moved. I think you miss typed as RdV is a Hybrid Perpetual, probably like me trying to multitask and type. :)

SCG

o

SCG sorry missed your post. My turn I guess :-)

What I meant was that Albas have the tendency to have the growth you desire not the HPs. Tried to cram to much info in the same sentence!

Maybe the deer didn't like the peppery taste of the leaves.
Anyway it seems like a fantastic rose, I'm happy you're enjoying it.

o

Haha no worries.

You might be a bit right on taste. Looking out in the yard some classes got nibbled (heavily) others munched on and the rest were the full meal deal. The alba's and hybrid musks were one class that got heavily nibbled on, rugosa's and HP's munched while the bourbons and Explorer roses they cleaned the plate.

I do have high hopes for RdV. i am really looking forward to next spring........

SCG

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Far North Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here