Return to the Far North Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Who's in the snowstorm zone?

Posted by north53 1b Manitoba (My Page) on
Sat, Nov 10, 12 at 13:23

We might be on the outer edge and miss it entirely. It's not snowing here in central MB yet anyway.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Who's in the snowstorm zone?

Got nailed here just northwest of Edmonton, probably received 12 to 14 inches of heavy snow. Cold had arrived extra early this year and giving me no chance whatsoever to do ground prep of spreading manure and compost etc. I don't have a fence, so have been busy tying up young trees and shrubs to prevent damage from deer and moose. Moose had already come though the yard yesterday, a mother with her two large 2 year olds, one had been grazing right up next to the house, the bugger, lol. Despite the tree being bundled up, they broke the main leader off one of my 'Prairie Splendor' Norway maples, though it remained enough intact that I was able to tape it back in place and it "should be" okay. I have more preventative work to do, though sure don't feel like venturing outside when it feels and looks like the middle of winter!

o

• Posted by pudge 2/3 Sask (My Page) on
    Sat, Nov 10, 12 at 15:32

It's been snowing steady here (west of Yorkton) for the past 24 hours and it doesn't appear to be letting up at all. It's dumped a lot of snow.

:(

o

Sat, Nov 10, 12 at 15:44

Here's what it gave us

o

Pudge, DH is admiring the snowblower. He's just purchased one and is anxious to try it out. I'm looking forward to all my perennials getting their blanket of snow, but so far it is just very light snow with a bit of drifting.

o

We're at the other edge of it. Looks like western MB is getting the worst. We've had a couple of inches but nothing like Pudge. My snowblower is exactly the same age as me. Every year I think it'll never start again but then it does. Here's hoping. :)

o

We haven't gotten a lot except freezing rain and ice pellets - very little accumulation but the roads are slick. We have my husband to thank for the lack of snow. Yesterday he put chains on the tractor and put the plow on the truck. He figured for sure we wouldn't get any snow then!

o

Yeah...we got it first!

o

Sun, Nov 11, 12 at 10:00

Nice looking dog, Konrad. They sure don't seem to mind the snow.

Our snowblower is 20 years old - DH started talking about a new one last year but then I think he only used it twice the whole winter so he quit talking about a new one. He'll have to blow out the driveway again today.

It's still snowing here although it has lightened up some but the north wind is pretty fierce. DH came home from his morning dog walk and figures if you don't have 4WD, you're not getting anywhere in our town today.

The forecast now has -20 in it so even though I'm not fond of all that snow, it is protecting the plants from the cold.

It's a good day to make a pot of soup and bake some bread.

o

Pictures of my icy garden in the Gallery. :)

o

Snowed like mad in Calgary. I think I got at least 30cm. I hope the rain barrel survived because I forgot to tip it over before the cold weather arrived.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Far North Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here