Return to the Far North Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Indoor Sowing, Winter Sowing & Propagation 2009

Posted by crazy_gardener ~Z2b~ AB Canada (My Page) on
Sun, Nov 2, 08 at 13:31

It's that time of year again, SOOOOW, whatcha got going so far (north forum)?
I figured I start a thread that will include indoor, wintersowing, as well, any thing to propagate such as cuttings and where did you get your seeds from.

I know its way tooooo early for most seeds but I sowed these yesterday, they're having their 3 month warm period first, then 3 month cold and back out to 20C....

L. martagon v. album (short 24")
L. martagon v. dark mauve
L. martagon light pink x OP
L. martagon
LILIUM superbum
LILIUM michiganense
(these seeds were from the Gardens North April sale and Darm Cook from the NWT.

Happy sowing everyone!
Sharon

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Indoor Sowing, Winter Sowing & Propagation 2009

Well, here I placed the 75 seeds from two beepods on my Dear Delight siberian iris into a piece of pantihose and they have been rinsing a few times a day in the toilet tank. In a few days from now I will take them out.

The 50 crosses and beepods I did with the daylilies in the yard are dried, labelled and awaiting out their three month period in the fridge. Mid to end of January I will sow some of them because I certainly don't want to do all.

I also saved seed from hosta beepods on my Touch of Class, Gray Cole, Tokudama and my Bright Lights. They have now dried and I am just not sure when I want to start them. They could be started any day as they need no refridgerator time.

Brenda

o

Brenda, I have 18 seedlings of Siberian Irises overwintering in the pumphouse right now. Last year I just gave the seeds a 3 month cold period in a zip-lock bag and everyone of them germinated! The toilet tank trick is good for the bearded kind, so you really don't need to do that method for the Siberian seeds.

Sharon

o

Sharon,
I have some RO Backhouse (I think)that I collected off my own plant this fall that I would like to get going....if they need to be started this early.

Do I plant them in promix and then leave them at room temp for 3 months and then put in the fridge for 3 months or what?

I started the pink martagons a few years ago, but can't remember how I started them now.

Thanks,
Sierra

o

Yes Sierra, that is what you do, Martagons are called Hypogeal or "slow type" seeds. Last year I used Zip-lock bags with vermiculite. But this year I'm starting them in little flats/ Sunshine #4 mix because its pretty tedious to untangle the roots once they start growing in the baggies.
3 months warm, 3 months cold and out again for warm.

Sharon

Here is a link that might be useful: Growing Lilies from Seed

o

Brenda,
Last year I winter sowed my Siberian iris seeds. I had great germination. No soaking of any kind.
I have some Japanese seeds this year. I'm not sure how I am going to tackle these ones yet.

Shelley

o

It is good to know that I probably didn't have to soak them, but this time...too late.

When I went searching for how to start Siberian iris seeds I came across this article in the Canadian Iris Society web site...

http://www.cdn-iris.ca/seeds.html

So, that is why I had them in the toilet tank to rinse.

I am wondering if in the future I will get a few bee pods from my Japanese irises as I planted 4 new varieties (Asian Warrior, Royal Robes, Shogun and Freckles Geisha) close to my Picotee Wonder Japanese iris this year.

Shelley, are the Japanese iris seeds you mentioned saved from your garden?

Brenda

o

Yes they are Brenda. I hope some of them grow for me.

o

Almost forgot about my Garden's North deals. Better get my lilies started next week!!

o

I have some daylily seeds from the auction in the fridge for sewing later, as well as a few rose seeds. Have some clematis seeds in baggies with vermiculite now. And have some rose cuttings I took this Fall under lights in the basement. Some have rooted and others have not yet. First year trying these. I have a Blaze rose cutting that rooted and is a foot tall already. Not sure what I'll do with it. Wonder if I could prune it back some.

Potted up some fresh Calla lily seeds, that have done nothing but turn to mush. I saved some that were dried and are in the cold for now to try later.The rest of the seeds will only be started in April 09.

Joan

o

It's great to hear that some of you are staring Martagon lilies and Siberian Iris from seed. I did it a few years ago and it took a long time (several years) to see any results. Even though the results were very rewarding,I am afraid I don't have the patience for it any more.
I collected some seeds from a Rosemary plant that has been blooming for 8 months and have them in a baggy under light now. Almost all the propagation experts say to expect little or no germination but I figured it is worth the try.
I also collected open pollinated seeds from several pimpinellifolia hybrid roses and they are in the refrigerator for another month.
Leo

o

I have one lonely L. martagon v. album seedling that is popping thru and it hasn't even had its cold period yet.

I got my Stokes catalogue the other day, not much of anything exciting and new. I think I'll try the Petunia Supreme Pink Morn again since they really put on a grand show a couple of years ago.

Sharon

o

Toilet tank seed rinsing! What a swell idea. Never thought of that.

On calla lily- My calla lily seeds from a few years ago yielded 20# of bulbs this year but not one bloomed yet. I believe I planted them within a month or 2 of harvest and it seems that I started them warm, in the waterbed drawers, until germinated. And kept them in a window all winter until planting out in summer.

This is my first year to try hybridizig lilies ( lilium). Thx Crazy G. for the nice link. Darm has been very helpful.
I'm trying a test batch to see which way they germinate. So far 5 of the crosses have sprouted. I'm so excited! I've been a successful bee! They might not make it all winter but it's a learning curve for me.
You can see how I started them in these 4 pics below. If you open them you can read my notes. So far I see sprouts on:

trumpet x species
trumpet x Orienpet
Orienpet x orienpet and
open pollinated asiatic

:)

Karen

Here is a link that might be useful: lilies germinating in first 4 pics- open to read notes.

o

Hi Karen, Darm is so knowledgeable when it comes to lilies isn't he!

Here is another good link on types.

Good luck with your seedlings!

Sharon

Here is a link that might be useful: Lily Seed Germination Types

o

Did any of you get your William Dam Seeds catalogue in yet? Did you noticed they now sell Bacopa cordata Snowtopia by seed now? Finally!

Sharon

o

Sharon, i'm not sure what kind of bacopa seed i had last year, but i started some from seed. It grew slowly but nicely and i brought the plant in for the winter. It didn't do so well in the house so i took cuttings. Just checked them the other day, and most are still alive, though they haven't rooted yet. Fingers crossed. I'll have to check my seeds to see if i still have some and will start more this year - earlier!

Just checked and there doesn't seem to be any. I foresee an order to William Dam in my future!

o

I've never seen seed available till now.

I've never had any luck overwintering them indoors, so sowing them every year will be awesome.

o

I grew them from seed last year, Sharon. They did quite well and I was pleased. I can't remember off hand where I got the seed, but it was either Vesey's or Lindenbergs.
With your experience you won't have any trouble growing them.

o

Oh I'm so glad to hear they're easy germinators North!
WD sells them pelleted so they should be easy.

I've got my Stokes order in, Williams on order and my box of old seeds all organized, just need another bail of Sunshine mix and I'm ready to get at her after Christmas!

Sharon

o

Hi all, yes I got my William Dam catalogue this week too. I have already placed my orders and looking at this catalogue will probably be placing another. lol. I picked up a bag of pro-mix already.....so I am getting ready. Hopefully I will be more organized this year. Oh ya, and my seed box was organized before I placed any orders. So all's good. :) I will be starting bacopa from seed this year as well. Now how early does it have to be started?

Sierra

o

Hey Sierra, I'm going to start my Bacopa as soon as I get the seed in that way I propagate cuttings, I believe it said 8-12 weeks.

Sharon

o

• Posted by marric Z5a Ontario (My Page) on
    Mon, Dec 15, 08 at 8:46

Last year I bought 'Bluetopia' Bacopa from Veseys - I prefer the blue to the white. I started mine early, Feb. 16. It grew well but never got really long like the white one. Even by the end of the season, it was only about 6" but flowered very well. It was treated like all my other plants so I don't know what I did wrong. I bought seeds again this year and will try again. Marg

o

Well heck, did I have a blindfold on last year! I checked my old catalogues from last year and lo and behold Veseys and Lindenbergs have the Bacopa. Oh my!

Marg, I prefer the white too, it goes so well with any container plant.

Just noticed today that more Martagons have popped up.

Sharon

o

I saw it last year but decided not to try it. I already have my bacopa seed for this year.....both the white and the blue.

Thanks Sharon, it is a slow grower so I figure it will need lots of extra time. I will have to file my new seeds by month and date to be sowed. I did this last year and it worked really well for me. Each sowing day, I just pulled out the seeds that needed to be sowed under that date.

I have been so busy, I haven't sowed my martagon seeds yet. lol. I have everything ready to do that though.

Marcia, do you know the date you started your bacopa last year?

Sierra

o

Sierra, i was bad at recording things last year (which is only marginally worse than other years!), but i know it was in early March. I'm going to order some seeds soon and start it as early as i can.

o

Thanks Marcia, I was just curious when you started it.

Well I didn't want to start anything really early this year....but it looks like I have a couple things that have to be started soon. Oh Well.....

Sierra

o

• Posted by savona z2bBCCanada (My Page) on
    Tue, Dec 16, 08 at 21:47

I did a quick look and Stokes has the best price for Bacopa between them, Vesey's, T+M and Park's by just a few cents but you have to buy 20 pelleted seeds instead of 10.I am now getting my seed lists together. DH said more camping this year so that means less planters and pots of plamts. I dont know if I have self control and can stop from doing less 8-0..savona

o

Hee hee savona, Whats self-control? :O Just use BIGGER containers....that will hold water longer....that is what I do. Funny my DH said more flowers this year. ohOH!!!!

Here is a question for all. Are the pelleted seeds harder to get to germinate. I have used them for somethings the last few years....but I noticed this year many more seeds have come in the pellet form. Is the trick to better germination to keep them wetter/moister to break down the pellet coating?

Another question can pelleted seeds be kept for a couple of years or do they have to be sown in the year you buy them?

Sierra

o

In my experience I have found pellet seed so convenient and they germinate each and every one of them, they are easy to see and placed exactly where you want them to germinate. Some very tiny seeds like Portulaca will be multi pelleted. With pellet seed make sure you dont bury the seed, just lightly press them down in the soil and make sure they are kept moist not soaking wet.

Don't buy pellet seed from seed companies that don't send them in plastic vials, you'll received them crushed.

I'd tell DH to have fun camping, LOL

Sharon

o

Sierra, I've used old pelleted seed with no problem. That is what I plan on doing with the pelleted Bacopa, sow 1/2, take cuttings and sow the other half next year.

Sharon

o

Good to know Sharon. I never had problems seed in pelleted form. But last year I sowed 2 colours of tuberous begonia seeds. One pack was pelleted and one not. I had lots of plants from the pack that was NOT pelleted. The pelleted ones I think I only had 5 plants. They just did not germinate for some reason. And ya I know not to cover them.

I did some reading even though I did not have this problem with pellets before.....and what I found was that maybe I didn't mist them enough. Or it could have been just bad seed. lol. More likely something I did or didn't do.

Also good to know about keeping them over till next year. I wish the packets would come in smaller sizes for somethings.

Sierra

o

Last year I started Bacopa from seed. If I'm not mistaken I picked the seeds up at Wally World.The seeds were pelleted. The started and grew beautifully.

Shelley

o

Hi all,
I bought Bacopa seed from Lindenburg last year,10 pelleted seeds for $2.95. Bought the blue & the white, found out on the web its multi pelleted seeds. Planted March 2, came up March 6. Pro mix, ,surface sowed, keep moist, bottom heat 70-75, covered , All came up.
When it came up each pellet had about 5-7 plants,by end of March they were big enough to divide. From 6 pellets of each, ended up with over 60 plants.
I think it is best to divide or thin so the roots don't choke out the plant.

Were a great seller in the spring sale, were even blooming by mid May. Which made them sell even faster cause blue has not been available in stores around here.

Saved A few plants, for mom ( grew nice ) and managed to save a little seed from them.
This year will plant the left overs and try some of my saved seeds.

o

Hi Sharon,
I post a question to you on an old thread about growing Martagon from seed. Didn't get to this one after I sent that one off. Sorry.

o

Hi Sharon,
I'm a newbie. I posted a question to you on an old thread about growing Martagon from seed. Didn't get to this one after I sent that one off. Sorry.
Otis

o

All my seed is in and I'm ready to sow!
What did you guys all order?

Stokes
Cosmos Cosmic Orange
Gazania Kiss Orange Flame
Nicotiana Perfume Deep Purple
Petunia Supreme Pink Morn (20)
Petunia Tidal Cherry Wave (20)
Portulaca Sundail Peppermint
Rudbeckia hirta Indian Summer
Rudbeckia hirta Prairie Sun

William Dam Seeds
Ageratum Florist's Blue
Amaranthus cruentus Velvet Curtains
Bacopa cordata Snowtopia (7 pellets)
Brachycome iberidifolia Bravo Formula Mixture
Dimorphotheca sinuata African Daisy
Eschscholzia californica California Poppy
Gypsophila muralis Baby's Breath Rose
Helianthus annuus Ring of Fire
Ipomoea tricolour Heavenly Blue (Clark's Early Strain)
Papaver rhoeas Single Shirley Mixture Poppy
Pennisetum setaceum Fountain Grass
Ricinus communis Carmencita Bright Red Castor Bean
Ricinus communis Zanzibarensis Castor Bean
Rudbeckia hirta Cherokee Sunset
Tropaeolum majus Cherry Rose Nasturtium
Verbena bonariensis Finesse
Zinnia elegans Magellan Coral (100)

Its suppose to be nice this weekend, maybe I'll get started with some wintersowing on those Garden North sale seeds I bought last year.

Happy Sowing!
Sharon

o

• Posted by pudge 2/3 Sask (My Page) on
    Fri, Jan 9, 09 at 9:02

Nice lists, Sharon. I really like those Magellan Coral zinnias. I've not grown them but my neighbor had some last year.

My Stokes order is almost all for cut flowers or container sales so I won't bother listing everything but I will mention I'm trying the new Tiger Eye Rudbeckia. I will no doubt love it, as I seem to love all Rudbeckia's. Cherokee Sunset is one of my favorites.

Still not done the Wm Dam order - the longer I drag my heels, the more I add, LOL. Again, mostly for cuts or container sales. I'm going to try the new Panicum Frosted Explosion - looks interesting.

I came across this link - new flower from seed for 2009. Some I've seen in the catalogues, but quite a few I haven't. I wouldn't mind finding that Blueberry Dianthus or Zohar Sunflower. And take a look at that Distance Cherry Zinnia!

Here is a link that might be useful: New flowers for 2009

o

Oh wow, thanks for that link Pudge, lots of interesting newbies.

A couple of years I grew Magellan Zinna's, I'm not sure why I didn't grow them again last year, they sure are beautiful and would be ideal for cutting.

I'll probably start my Tidal Wave Petunias on Sunday so that I can take cuttings later on. I want 100 plants again for all my pots and containers.

Sharon

o

Mon, Jan 12, 09 at 18:09

Yeah, those Zinnias are just beautiful and look how nicely they look with the Amaranthus (another fave of mine). Very nice! I usually grow the Benary's Giant which are taller.

I got my Stokes order today that included the 50 seeds of Orange Appeal geraniums (pelargonium) which I promptly sowed - first seeds of the year! And I get to use the new heat mat for them, too. I'm planning a container mix of those geraniums, black pearl peppers, imagination verbena, and something called Laurentia that I ordered from Wm Dam - it's on the website but not in the catalogue. Looks interesting.

Here is a link that might be useful: Laurentia

o

In going through my seeds, i found there were 2 left over bacopa seeds and 4 dichondra, so my grandson and i planted them on Saturday. That's the extent of anything so far!

o

I have started begonia seed and delphs.

Sierra

o

Heat mats are a great tool for starting seeds. You'll love it Pudge. I grew laurentia one year, very nice airy plant for containers.

o

I picked up some heat mat kits at WM last week. They were only $29.99 each.....that is the cheapest I have seen anywhere. The kit had a tray with lid, a little tray holding jiffy pellets and a smaller plastic tray to hold the heat mat under the plant tray.

The down fall is the matt doesn't have a therostat, so I have been testing on a timer to see how to get the different temps that I will need. So far so good, with it shut off for 2 hours a day, it maintains 75F. To maintain a little cooler 3 or 4 hours off a day. And less time off if 80F is needed.

Sierra

o

Wed, Jan 14, 09 at 21:48

OMG, I just checked and cannot believe that those geranium seeds are already sprouting - 48 hours. That's amazing. I should have gotten a heat mat long ago.

o

Oh wow, that was really fast Pudge!

o

Wow That was fast Pudge.

I've sowed bacopa now. When I sowed the pellets, I followed the instructions and sprayed with warm water well. The pellets disinigrated. So maybe this is the trick with pelleted seed. We will have to see what germinates now.

The pelleted begonia seed did not do this. Hmmmm

Sierra

o

Sharon, that photo is really nice! I've grown the Magellan Zinnas for the last two years and indeed it's a very good series.

Just received my Stokes order and have sown the Illumination Apricot begonias. These will look great on the covered veranda ... BUT, they're such slow starters!

Terry

o

Terry, I started begonias last year, you are right they are extremely slow. This year I have started show angel begonias. I guess the frustration wasn't enough last year. lol. They really did put on a nice show.

Sierra

o

Both bacopa seeds have sprouted and 4/6 of the dichondra have. I have a few petunia and impatiens seeds from last year that i'm going to start this weekend as well. Too early, i know. But just a few! :)

o

Oh wow, that was fast Marcia for the Bacopa. I'll have to sow mine on my next days off.

Thanks Terry I'll be sowing 100 seeds of Magellan Zinnas this year ;)

Sharon

o

Sharon, be sure to take photos of all those Magellan Zinnas! I'm also trying the Profusion Double Mix and Dreamland Series ... and a few other varieties, where does it end? ... lol

Terry

o

Still have to clean my containers before planting can begin. Just ordered my seeds from swallowtail tonight. They finally have the illumination begonias.

o

This is the weekend I'm sowing my bacopa (pelleted)--any advice from those who have done it successfully? The instructions on my packet say sow on the surface and temps of 20-25 to germinate. I note the comment above about spraying pellets with warm water and will try that, and use a heat mat. Fingers crossed that I'll have as quick results as some of you!

o

I my self think sowing Bacopa now is to early. See my post higher up. By the time it is warm enough to go outside they will be root bound big time, they have a fine root system like Lobelia. Petunia & Lisianthus are needed to be started about now, which I'll be doing in the next few days

o

Petunia2, The bacopa sprouted on day 6 for me.

Sierra

o

When sowing pellet seeds, make sure to have your medium moist, not wet and not dry. Once the pellet hits the medium the coating will dissolve. A heating mat with plastic dome will speed the germination.

Sprayman, the reason many of us are starting our Bacopa early is because will be taking cuttings off the mother plants. I'm only sowing 3 pellets and will save the rest for next year.

o

The 'Apricot Illumination' begonias that were sown about ten days ago, several of these popped up already yesterday, a week earlier than when I had before planted them. I've been keeping them at a warmer temp this time, on top of the satellite receiver (not the dish, lol) which provides even heat.

Terry

o

Have to laugh - i ended up getting 3 bacopas sprouting! I thought i had lost the one seed but it must have fallen into the peat pellet as well. I had put a dichondra seed into that pellet after i thought the bacopa was lost, but it didn't germinate and all the others did.

I planted some leftover petunia and impatiens seeds last week too, and some of the petunias have sprouted - all the yellow ones, two Tidal Wave Silvers, and one Ramblin' Red.

o

Day 14, many sprouts on the begonias.

Marcia that is funny. But what if the dichondra decides to sprout now too? lol I once did that with lavender and coneflower seed. I ended up with the coneflower growing in the middle of the lavender.....I planted it like that in the garden too. It lasted for years, until I tried to separate them, then I lost both.

Sierra

o

Sun, Jan 25, 09 at 12:36

Ok you bunch of enablers..I had made a trip to the seed rack at the store yesterday with the intentions of getting some magic fountain delph seeds to start for a friend..there was only pacific giants but looky looky.. the bacopa seed pulled my hand that way and I brought a packet home. I am now justifying the purchase of the bacopa by telling myself even though I will have less baskets this year my friends will enjoy it..yeah right.I did feel good to write down the first thing sown in 2009 in my garden binder...Jean

o

Sierra, i don't think the dichondra will sprout now - all the other dichondra seeds i sowed on that day have sprouted already. I wonder how a mix of dichondra and bacopa would look. Hmmm. Actually, what i have is the 'Silver Falls', and bacopa might look nice with the 'Emerald Falls'. Maybe i'll try that some year. :)

o

Oh wow Jean, you're lucky to find Bacopa off the rack. Was it McKenzie?

Just finished sowing my Bacopa, Tidal Cherry Wave and Opera Supreme Pink Morn Petunias today.

Notice the evenings are getting longer and lighter each day! Whooooohoooo, it won't be long now!

Sharon

o

Tue, Jan 27, 09 at 0:07

It was Mackenzie seeds. I can't find the package now but it was 12 seeds for $4.95 or $4.98.I sowed them right away after bringing them home so should have sprouts in the next few days. Jean

o

I just planted up some purple wave petunias, some assorted rose seeds - maybe some of them will sprout - and a few orange seeds, just for fun. I'm waiting for my Opera Supreme Pink Morn petunias - they're backordered. So spring begins (a bit early).
Connie

o

Do they usually have the seeds out this early? I couldn't help but buy off the rack the things that swallowtail didn't have. Another 30 bucks.

o

Thu, Jan 29, 09 at 0:20

I had a couple bacopa germinated this morning and when I just went and looked there were 8 or 9..I couldnt tell if it one seedling or 2 next to each other so the count is iffy. Oh dear I can feel my addiction to peering into containers taking over again...Jean

o

My white bacopa seem to have fewer sprouts per pellet than the blue.

Sow,sow sow Savona. You can't peer unless you sow. hee hee I'm doing my best to make you cave. :O

gladzoe,I left my herb and veggie seeds so I could buy them off the rack, so I didn't buy anymore flower seed. Well it was good in theory. Didn't exactly work well though.

Sierra

o

Are you going to try to separate them(the Bacopa)?? Last year I had really good success, only had a few of the smaller plants die after separating.Did it after about 1 month of growing Out of 6 pellets I got over 30 plants.

o

Fri, Jan 30, 09 at 8:35

I now have about 8 flats of plants w/s and have started 'Bluetopia' bacopa, 'Ramblin' petunias, brachycomb (is it to early?), and some purple gazanias inside. Last summer I planted 'Lemon Kiss' gazania in a window box. The were with black leaf geraniums and they looked great! In the fall, I sprinkled the seeds over the box before I brought it inside. I had previously treated the soil with Insectidcidal soap. I now have about 30 gazanias growing. Marg

o

I will probably separate some of the blue bacopa, but won't bother separating the white. They are still to small, I'll have to wait a while. My plant area is cool, so sprouts tend to grow slow, so it will be a while yet, before they are separated.

Sierra

o

Marg, i wish i had the room to do that! The one window shelf i have is full of overwintering geraniums. I think it is too early for brachycome. I usually winter sow mine.

o

Stupid me got off a night shift and went to visit my potential babies and dump the condensation out of the propagator lid. I parked them on a bit of table space, not enough for the tray, and of course knocked them on the floor. My begonia's (show angels 3.99 for 13 seeds) are goners, same with the strawberries (half the pack) and my geraniums (my own saved seed). The only thing that managed to survive in tact was the datura la fleur lilac from Garden's North's April sale, which is sprouting after 4 days. My other datura's that hadn't sprouted (belle blanch and the seeds I found at Burger King) should hopefully be ok after being scooped off the floor and back in the tray. My only consolation is that my Swallowtail order, with more affordable begonia seed, should hopefully arrive in a week or two. I am now banning myself from tired mothering.

o

gladzoe, Don't feel to bad. We all do this at one time or another. I drop or knock something off the shelves every year. And ya it is usually the most expensive seed or something I really want for my garden. It is disappointing though.

Sierra

o

Sorry to hear that gladzoe, been there done that too (actually many times in my life).

Marg, I agree, too early for the Brachycome, these guys are so easy to wintersow late winter/early spring or direct sow. They will be much sturdier if you sow them outdoors. As well, if you let them be in the fall and don't cut them back, they will self seed in all the mysterious places in your garden.

My Bacopa and Petunias are popping!

Sharon

o

Sat, Jan 31, 09 at 16:21

I didn't realize you could winter sow Brachycomb. I'll have to remember that for next year. Thanks for the tip Sharon. I always start some things way to early! Today I went to the local Garden Gallery and bought even more seeds! Most of those are ones I plan to winter sow. Marg

o

Good to know about brachycome reseeding. I might put it somewhere now where it will reseed. The container i usually plant it in is on the deck, so no chance for reseeding.

One impatiens has sprouted, and one petunia 'Avalanche Lilac'. No, make that three - i just checked. Everything else is lagging behind.

o

Thanks everyone, although I am sorry to hear that others have this yearly klutzy problem as well. Can we blame gravity and soils desire to be as low as possible, instead of our own fumble fingers? I'm just going to have to resist the urge to pick up another packet and wait for my delivery.

I'm going to try winter-sowing again this year, but plan to wait until March or April as the only things that did really good were the viola seeds/weeds that were in the recycled planting medium I used.

o

My purple wave petunias are up - 12 from a pack of 10 seeds, so there were 2 extra. I wintersowed some of the things I got from last years Gardens North 1/2 price sale - Canada plum, sandcherry, and a couple of interesting sounding little bushes. I have my eyes on a spot for a shrub hedge, so I'm growing a bit of this and that, plus I want some plums, so I thought I'd try starting the pollinators from seed. We'll see, some of them are supposed to take up to 2 years to sprout. I'm still waiting for the Opera petunias that were backordered, and trying to control my urge to start planting some of my other seeds.
Connie

o

Mon, Feb 2, 09 at 14:33

Connie: I have a purple sandcherry bush. Nice purple color with light pink flowers in spring. Just thought I'd tell you I have to cage it every fall because the rabbits like it. To give them their dues, they did a better pruning job than I did! Last year I didn't cage it because it is getting bigger and hopefully tougher for the rabbits to chew. Keeping my fingers crossed! Marg

o

I finally started some seeds this weekend. Started about 20 pelleted Bacopa and about 50 white Datura in a heated propagator I bought from Walmart for $30.00. I plugged in another heated propagator and planted 21 Purple Wave and 9 Double Yellow Datura. It looks like the heating pad doesn't work in the old propagator so does anyone know where I can purchase replacements? I will probably start some Evening Scented Stock tonite but without heat. I checked my Canna Lilies yesterday and a least 5 out of 10 seem to be firm and some growth so I think I will plant up this coming weekend. Stan

o

Stan, do you have the brand name or model # for replacements?

Evening Scented Stock is so easy to direct sow in the early spring too, you don't want to start those too early, otherwise they will get really leggy and weak growing in the house for so long.

o

mcfayden.com sells heating pads.

o

Thanks Marric, I picked up another heat mat at Walmart, only 29 bucks, good deal since they want 7 for the green house and jiffy pellets. Also got some more seeds, including the Show Angel Begonias, even though I just sowed my Swallowtail begonia's. Tonight I also started impatiens and lisianthus, as well as a few of my asarina seeds.

o
Lily

Also sowed some of my lily seeds yesterday, although my cupboard with the heat vent might be too warm. I was so glad to read somewhere that the viable seeds have a line in them. Got to get rid of 90&% of the empty shells.

o

Thanks Angelao for the info on the heat pad from McFayden. I see they are $26.95 and I can buy the whole thing from WalMart for $29.99 so I'll probably just get another whole kit. I'm still using the old propagator even though the heat pad doesn't work and I noticed the Wave petunia seeds I started have sprung up after about a week so I'm happy with that. The new propagater I bought I planted with Bacopa 6 days ago I'm still waiting for it to germinate.

Sharon, you're right about the eveing scented stock so I will wait and just so them directly into the containers. this weekend I hope to go through my box of Canna lilies and Begonias and see how they are doing.

o

I have coral vine and hibiscus sprouts. And there I was worried that they might have been killed in the cupboard soaking over night, which gets to about 30c. Didn't need to nick the seed coats after all. I never should have sown my whole package of Datura from Garden's north, so far I have over 36.

o

gladzoe, how long did your Datura take to sprout. Mine take anywhere from 3 to 5 weeks. They are just the regular white Datura.

o

Datura stramonium La Fleur Lilac is a datura that acts like a weed in my garden, if I don't cut back some of the thorn apple seed heads in the fall, I will have hundreds come up the following spring. They are the easiest out of the datura's to sow, they are also very easy to direct sow or wintersow.

The other Daturas like D. metel need to be started indoors and are sometimes finicky to germinate, especially the doubles.

Sharon

Here is a link that might be useful: Datura is a genus of nine species

o

Sharon, it is good to know they re-seed. I'm thinking of doing a little guerrilla gardening this year at the vacant house down the street and they will be better than the regular weeds.

stanly, my white daturas are taking a little longer to sprout than the La Fleur Lilac ones which sprouted in a few days. All of them were soaked in water overnight in my warm cupboard before being planted on the heat mat. I had them all surface sowed, but then dumped the bunch and scooped them back into the containers. I don't know which are the Belle Blanc and which are the burger king ones I found last fall, although they might be the same thing for all I know. At first I was distinguishing based on the seed pod attached to the sprout, but now I see the white ones have a hairy stem and different leaf while the purple are smooth. Yesterday I bought the golden queen along with another shop light. I tried the yellow double last year but it never flowered. Since that was such a weird summer I figured it was worth another try.

On a side note, I decided to dig up the dahlias that were parked in the laundry room area of the basement. It is probably around 17 in there, instead of the 5 or so in the pantry, but the roots just left in the dirt and rarely, if ever, watered are plump and healthier looking than any I have made the effort to store.

o

I have done about 8 flats wintersowing. The temperatures here will be about 8C by mid week with lots of rain. Hope that doesn't hurt my planting any. I'm going to go out and pile some more snow on top but also put some plywood on top of the flats so they don't get water logged.
Inside, I have Brachycomb, petunias & some gazanias up. I already had the ROS, geraniums & Hibiscus from last year. I had received some dahlias in a trade and just decided to plant them. Now I have about 10 of them up. I think it may have been to early but I still have some seeds left so I will plant them later. By the way, has anyone ever w/s Japanese Maples? Marg

o

I see a sprout or two in my begonia tray!!

o

Am I too late to start Begonia Show Angels? How do they stand up to the wind, and is morning sun enough for them? Also, will Nasturtiums stand up to lots of sun & heat, namely against a south facing brick wall?

o

I think you'd be fine to start the show angels. Do you have a heat mat? It speeds up the germination considerably. They might bloom a little later, July-Frost. Just save the tubers should any develop to get a head start next year. I took mine inside and stuck them under lights until November and when I dug them up they were nice, firm and healthy. I also had luck cutting the tops off my non-stops and rooting them in water. I'm curious to see if they grow tubers this summer.

o

Ok! Good to know, thanks! No, I don't have a heat mat but maybe if I set the seed trays on a shelf directly above another set of grow lights that will be enough heat. Are you saying you keep them under your lights through the winter or do they die back and have a rest period and then go under the lights?

o

I had one window box which I dug up in November and stored them in an envelop in my cold pantry. Since they didn't get killed by frost, the ones I dug up had their tops cut off at the soil level and the tops were stuck in water. Most of them have rooted and my hope is they will develop tubers this summer. I have left a few bulbs in terra cotta pots because they just keep sending up new growth and look very happy in the windows. Considering I had 13 plants from a $3 pack of seeds, while the garden centre's, ask $4 for one, I can afford to experiment.

I read in the stokes catalogue that a warm overhead light helps begonia's germinate.

o

Has anybody been planting anything lately? Thanks to a snow day Thursday, I got my petunias, statice, dahlias and other slow growers planted and under lights (Need more lights - time for another plant stand) and I got 14 milk jugs of assorted perennials put outside on Saturday. That was a beautiful day - +3 - then it was back into wind chills and poor visibility yesterday. -25 this morning, again. I hope spring comes soon and stays. We've been having to bring the youngest baby calves into the barn to warm them up and get the crusted snow off them. BRRRR!
Connie

o

I agree with needing more grow lights. I have petunias, snaps, salvia, hen and chicks (which I bought on a whim)and peppers up. Just did some lobelia and shooting stars today. I have no idea where I'm going to put all the tomatoes that I have planned for this year. But if it doesn't start getting nice soon the house is going to be a jungle. Maybe it will force (encourage)the hubby to help me figure out how to heat the greenhouse cheaply. Cheryl

o

Cheryl, I'm sure glad you mentioned snaps. I forgot to plant mine - the seed is still sitting there! I get to play in the dirt again tonight.
Connie

o

I want to do some wintersowing but heck it was -30 last night!!!! It's suppose to be mild this weekend and I got the weekend off, I guess I'll start with some perennials then.

I'll be taking cuttings soon from the Petunias, I need 100 of them ;)

Sharon

o

Yeah, it's cold out. -40 in the low places here this morning. I managed to sneak mine out on Saturday when we had a bit of a warm spell. I hope they were't too shocked when the temperature plunged again.
Connie

o

Today I managed to get started on some of my wintersowing since it was a nice mild day today.

Lathyrus vernus alboroseus
ASCLEPIAS purpurascens
Asclepias hirtella
Anacyclus depressus
Rudbeckia triloba

and I sowed Datura meteloides indoors.

Sharon

o

My seeds have finally arrived so i'm definitely late with some things! Today i sowed petunias, Primetime Red and Primetime White. Some will be for me and some will be for the school, whose colours are red and white. Hope they zip along so that i can be taking cuttings too in a month or so!

Of course, i forgot to bring in another bag of seed-starting mix and am now waiting on that to thaw out so that i can do some more sowing. :)

o

I got my second wind this evening and just finished sowing...
Indoors
Cyperus eragrostis Wind Dancer
Pennisetum setaceum Fountain Grass
Coleus blumei Chocolate Mint
Coleus Coral Sunrize Wizard
Coleus Kong Red

WS
Oxytropis splendens Showy Locoweed

Spring is in the air!

Sharon

o

I did the rest of my petunias today - the mix thawed out! Also sowed:
Impatiens Punch Mix
Impatiens Tempo Butterfly
Melinus 'Savannah'
Stipa 'Ponytails'
The aforementioned Mesenbryanthemum

I'll be doing some more WS tomorrow.

o

Today I WS'd
Oxytropis lambertii Purple Locoweed
Phacelia sericea 08
Primula cortusoides 05
Verbena hastata Blue Vervain 08

Sharon

o

Last year I got two sprouts from my blue flag iris seeds. So I put the baggie back in the fridge for the winter. I took it out a few days ago and already most of them have popped out roots!!

o

I WSed yellow flag iris last year but got nothing from them. I have the rest of the seeds soaking right now and was planning on indoor sowing them to see if i have better luck with them. I did leave that container outside, and maybe they'll sprout this spring - we'll see.

o

Today, I went to Lloyd to pick up a few supplies and I usually buy the big bales of Sunshine #4, however instead I'm trying the smaller compressed 2 Cu. Ft bales of PRO-MIX Potting & Seeding Mix that is suppose to be equivalent to the 4 Cu. Ft bales. Cheaper too.

So today, I did some cuttings on some Tidal Waves, transplanted the Bacopa and gave everything a good fertilized drink today.

Downstairs in the growlite room.

Some Bearded Irises that I got late last fall that were too late to plant, therefore they have been overwintering all winter long indoors. Theyve been semi-dormant in the basement on the south window sills however, I brought them all up on the kitchen table to give them all a good drink and to take a group photo. ;) Since the longer sunnier days, they sure have put on some green growth.

Oh yeah, I also took a look down in the pumphouse today, I see some growth happening on some Lilies that I bought late last fall too, as well I think there are some daffodils that are putting up lots of green growth. I probably go down there tomorrow and bring those up indoors.

Sharon

o

o

You absolutely amaze me!!!!! I can only imagine how vast your gardens must be. I really think you would put the gardens in the magazines to shame. I hope some day to even have a quarter of what you must have. Cheryl

o

Ahhh, thanks Cheryl ;)

Today I sowed indoors...
Oryza sativa Black Madras Ornamental Grass (last year my cat ate the seedlings!)
Panicum violaceum Panic Grass
These will go in the whiskey barrels later.

Sharon

o

Got home to find my seedlings have been watered with a watered down vinegar spray. I never know what I'm going to come home to find my mother has done to my babies. Hopefully most of them are acid tolerating plants.

o

Sharon, I've been trying to get my cat to eat grass - not the fancy stuff - and he isn't interested at all. He'd much rather munch on christmas cactus, spiders, and my dragon's wing begonia, which has done very nicely indoors over winter. I've got quite a few babies started from it. He also loves a pond plant I brought in. It's down to 2 stems, and I don't think it's going to make it. You've got to love cats. I had one crawl in the window of the greenhouse and knock all sorts of stuff over, just to get to the catnip seedlings I had tried to hide in there. Next weekend it's going to be time to plant tomatoes, marigolds, and few other 6 - 8 week type plants.
Connie

o

• Posted by kioni Zone 3 (My Page) on
    Mon, Mar 23, 09 at 15:31

Hi. I would like an idea of what 'tender' annuals you guys spring sow? I do not have a light set up, and am saving my good southwestern facing window for the cherry tomatoes I want to start, and my Golden Wave begonia, and perhaps the zinnia seed, but one packet of zinnia seed says to direct sow after frost, I am wondering whether to try that outside. I was thinking of seeding my allysum, marigold, and other quick growers indoors 2 weeks before last frost date, than move outside to grow in sheltered area in their little pots for a couple more weeks until I can get everything in. Seems to be some plants will do just as well direct sown into the ground as compared to growing indoors for a little bit, then transplanting (have read zinnias hate to be transplanted, but I see them in 4/6 packs in the nursery all the time). I've direct sown allysum, and marigolds, and they do eventually bloom, but don't really get going until late July, compared to when I used to start them under lights (gave those away when we moved to a place with no gardening area - boo hoo), then I was rewarded with blooming mounds much earlier (end of June perhaps).

Sharon, I purchased the coleus coral sunrise because you'd posted a photo of it a while back, and I so loved the shades of it, when I spied the seed packet, I just grabbed it (and payed for it of course)! That would be another I probably should get going in the windows.

Thanks you all. Oh, I was going to use the plastic slurpee cups my kids leave on the counter, they come with a dome snap on top, so I'll just drill a drain hole or two on the bottom. And I've been to the wintersowing forum, great ideas, but most seem to be in zone 5 or higher, so I'm guessing their recommendations of what to winter sow may not apply to me just yet (yard not ready for perennials).

o

prairerose, I sow plain old oats for my cats (whole oats from the feed store) they love it and don't get all wild as with catnip. Cheryl

o

Kioni, i winter sow all those things - marigolds, zinnia, alyssum, etc. Maybe it's more like spring sowing because i do them around mid-April. I use a lot of the clamshell type containers for this - they can be put into a tray of water to water them (and they do dry out fairly quickly), or taken out of the tray when it's wet out. I've had really good luck with this method.

o

gladzoe, why did your mom do that for? LOL

Kioni,I like to start the tenders indoors or start in the greenhouse to get a good head start, I find that wintersowing tenders takes forever and any bit of frost, they are gone. Begonias are really tender, they should be started around Jan/Feb, what does the pkg say?

Yes, you're going to love those Coleus Coral Sunrise, start them indoors now too, don't w/s those, those are really tender for our zone.

April will be a busy month for sowing, that's for sure Connie.

Don't forget the annual Gardens North seed sale ;)

Sharon

o

Seems that everything i've started indoors this year has popped up so quickly - two or three days! I hope i can keep them going strong and that the weather cooperates for getting them outside in May! Otherwise... LOL

As far as WSing tenders goes, i just don't have the room inside for everything, and it's easy to cover your containers if frost threatens. I lost some things to frost in the past, but not so much in the past few years because i've managed to remember to cover the containers when it's cold.

o

• Posted by kioni Zone 3 (My Page) on
    Tue, Mar 24, 09 at 10:53

Thanks for your replies, Marcia and Sharon. I have very limited space, and am lucky my kids don't complain when I approach them "can mommy grow some lobelia on your windowsill?". I know the plants will be bigger grown inside, then hardened off compared to direct sowing outdoors near or after the last frost date. I figure if I 'spring sow' with the intention of bringing in at night if things dip down, than I'd be somewhere in between.

My other plan was to indoor sow late in April, let the seeds germinate and grow their first set of leaves, then set out in my clear sterlite containers in a sheltered spot during the warm days of May. Of course this becomes such a pain when cr@ppy weather hits and sits around for several weeks, then the seedlings don't get much grow time/light.

I need a light set up, something similiar to just one of your shelving units - Sharon - (I'm guessing you have several!) and that would keep me so happy.

I have 2 packets of zinnia, one is pinwheel, which says to start indoors 6-8 weeks before frost, the other says the same and adds the 'or direct sow outdoors after last frost'. I've direct sown marigolds first week of May one year, and had great plants by end of June, but most times kids' schedules and vegetable garden planting get in the way, and I end up direct seeding marigolds and allysum end of May or beginning of June, then it is such a long wait for blooms.

Two winters ago I seeded lobelia White Fountains in the kids' windowsills, and they grew great, big bushy white trailing plants - just what I wanted. I found the seeds on a Fothergill's Seed rack, so when fall came and I thought I'll save seed, then I thought 'don't be so cheap, those seed companies need to earn a living too', so I didn't. Couldn't find the seed on a rack anywhere the next year. Dang. But one of the pots they were growing in had been wintered over a huge spruce tree, and there were lots of protection all around, and the winter was mild, and that lobelia came back the next summer to bloom again.

If I find I have the time, I may try some indoors and some outside (spring sow) just to compare.

o

Cheryl, I've tried both oats and wheat for the cat. I've never had such a fussy one before. He's going outside more once summer hits, so maybe he'll learn to eat something other than houseplants. One can always hope!

Kioni, I usually start marigolds and sometimes pansies in the house, but they do alright wintersown. Annual asters and stocks do very well for me. Snapdragons tend to bloom later than I would like when I wintersow them. I usually sow my annuals in early to mid-April, in 4 liter milk jugs.

Connie

o

Sharon, she didn't realize what she was doing. We had a clear spray bottle with vinegar when our cat was peeing in the porch to drive away the tom who was spraying the outside front door. This was sitting in the kitchen. She assumed it was my spray bottle for water and filled it up and went to town. I asked if she smelled vinegar and she said she did, but figured I wanted them sprayed with it, lol. The two bottles weren't even the same shape though which is how I realized it was the wrong bottle when I went to spray. I soaked everything down with plain water and so far they look to be ok. The strawberries and geranium seedlings have really grown over the last day, so maybe they enjoyed it.

o

Sharon, I noticed you were also growing Pennisetum setaceum Fountain Grass. I was just looking at mine and wondering if when I transplant them, do I put only one in a pot like other transplants? I've never grown them before.

o

North, you transplant one per pot. Tedious but they will grow better in individual clumps.

Sharon

o

Thanks Sharon, That's what I'll do.

o

Sharon,
That was quite a show you have there in your downstairs.

Just wondering where you get those square pots, I've been looking for them for a while, and the tray underneath too. they can save a lot space for me. I only using the round pots, and I'm running out of window sill and dinning table space because of them lol.

Thank you!
Rick

o

Oh for sure Rick, the squares will save you alot of space.

Well, I've saved all my nursery containers from purchasing perennials/annuals over the many years of gardening, but they don't last forever.

I've bought in bulk from Wickham's in Lloydminster and they also sell/ship from Early's in Saskatoon.

Today I sowed indoors,
Gazania Kiss Orange Flame

and winter sowed...
Verbena bonariensis Finesse

Sharon

o

The other day I soaked the Castor Beans for 24hrs and sowed them yesterday.

The Petunia cuttings are coming along just fine. I have one plastic high-dome but do you think I can find another one around town to buy. Therefore I made a mini-greenhouse using an ex-large clear garbage bag and venetian blinds. Works great!

Sharon

o

Just unpotted some of my forced bulbs from Dec and every tulip and crocus has multiplied by 4. I plan to plant them and see if they bloom in 2 years. I'm also going to start some of my annuals and dahlia seeds.

o
Greenhouse Planting, 2009

Well couldn't wait any longer, the BIG Transplant started today. Did 6 trays of Wave Petunia (in 9 pack), 9 trays of reg. Petunia (in 6 packs). 2 trays of white & Blue Bacopa, Half tray of Coleus, 12 early Ox heart Tomato, 12 early cherry tomato,& 24 early sweet peppers. Also 32 mini Rose plants in 4" pots
Still got Strawberries, Amaranthus, Diascia, Parsley, couple 100 Lisianthus forever blue,pink,monkey flower,penny black,some diff. Daturas & a mess of Lobelia (red, white & blue) To Transplant
Plus I'm sure I forgot a few others. Still have other seeds to start also.
Boy o boy this gardening stuff is starting to turn into a lot of work. Good thing I had a helping hand, It makes things go a whole lot faster.

o

Got my first WS sprout today! Red lupines. The blue ones are about to sprout. I didn't do much for WS this year - started annuals this week but have a lot more to do and i ran out of steam this weekend. :)

o

Whoohoo Marcia, I got one sprout of Oxytropis lambertii Purple Locoweed a couple of days ago. I too only W/S a few perennials this year.

Sharon

o

Anyone WS Talinum panicalatum, was it you that grew this one year Marcia?

Sharon

o

No, it wasn't me, but it sounds familiar.

o

Hi! My name is Karen and I've posted some questions on the geranium forum and got some good advice, but noone is terribly chatty over there so I was wondering if this is a good forum for me to join. Are you taking new members??

I'm in IL and we started over 700 (agh!)pelargoniums, or whatever they are called. We call them geraniums. Anyway, I was told to pinch and went to town and I hope I did it right because I have some sad plants. And it's about time to start hardening off...and I haven't a clue what I'm doing! We have two portable greenhouses outside with heaters in them and we put the impatiens and pansies, I think, in there. But the geraniums are inside under grow lights and in sunny windows (as sunny as it gets during the long awaited IL 'Spring' if that's what you call it!) Can anyone help me keep them alive?

o

New members are always welcome here. :)

First question - what the heck are you going to do with 700 geraniums??? LOL

I'm no expert on geraniums, but i do have several that i've overwintered for quite a few years now. I don't know about pinching them, though i'm sure it helps them to branch out. I prune mine back in the spring and sometime in the fall as well before i bring them in. Depends on how they look. Yours should do fine.

o

Well, i enjoyed re-reading this thread, but how the heck did it get up here? LOL

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Far North Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here