Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
crazy_gardener

Hemerocallis Daylilies 2009

Crazy_Gardener
15 years ago

Well, I started early ordering this year, will this madness ever end! LOL

So far I have reserved and paid for Daylilies....

Novia Scotia Daylilies

APPLE SWIRL

BLACK ICE

CREATURE OF THE NIGHT

FORBIDDEN DESIRES

FORESTLAKE RAGAMUFFIN

HEAVENLY ANGEL ICE

INSTANT CELEBRATION

JAN'S TWISTER

JURASSIC SPIDER

MAGIC OF OZ

RADIATION BIOHAZARD

ROSES IN SNOW

SATIN BIRD

SCREAMCICLE

SMOKE SCREAM

TOTAL LOOK

Bryan Culver

FOX POINT

SPIRIT ZONE

Anyone order plants or seeds yet?

Sharon

Comments (118)

• swontgirl_z5a
    15 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

Hi Kathy,
    It sounds like you have figured out the seed thing! I hope they get there okay and good luck with growing them.
    Sharon,
    Thanks for the info on the Gallery. Wow you have alot of amazing plants! How do you ever look after them all? Maybe this sounds like a stupid question but what is the difference between the gallery and what we're on now? Are you just supposed to post pictures on it?
    And Joan,
    We think the above CBPs might be Tissue culture plants and if so, they won't look exactly like they should. Dels is definitely the wrong shape and mine might not be the right colour. It can look whiter but it does have yellow at the edges. Unfortunately unless they look way off it hard to tell if they are TC or not.
    Debbie

• valleyrimgirl
    15 years ago

Debbie, a number of years ago the Garden Web was able to make three spots for us Far North people to post in.

The Gallery...Since a number of people are on dialup it takes them forever to download a picture so...if we all post our pictures into the Gallery threads then it makes it easier and less frustrating for those dialup posters to work with the Far North. For those of us who have high speed we post and view pictures all the time in the Gallery.

The Discussion forum is what we are in now, which is just supposed to be talking and asking questions without pictures.

There is also a Conversation section too, for those topics that are not garden related. Pictures have been posted into this section too.

Hope this helps.

As for ordering daylilies this spring, I have almost (I hope) decided not to order any actual plants as I had 49 crosses I did last year produce seed and also have other seed crosses that I need to plant up yet that I got from friends. As I already have about 300 different daylilies in the yard and assuming that the seeds will take and grow....gulp.... how much more room do I need to make in the flowerbeds this summer?

In looking over this thread, it sounds like the garden/plant addiction has hit a few of us really hard.

Brenda

• swontgirl_z5a
    15 years ago

Thanks Brenda for the explanation. I certainly understand about the dial up internet. We suffered through that for many years and still don't even have good telephone reception.
    Good luck with your daylily seedlings. I am sure they will more than make up for not buying any new ones. Stick to the plan and send us some of your willpower! As you can see we need help.
    Debbie

• Crazy_Gardener
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Debbie, You can post photos anywhere, it just makes it more organized that they are all together, besides we begged years ago to GW to get us a Gallery. Dial-up is going the way of the dinosaur, more and more folks are upgrading to faster speeds.

As for looking after my plants/garden, I just do, its my life, if I'm not at work, I'm in the garden ;)

Kathy you are going to have some nice seedlings when they bloom! Good luck on your seeds.

Yup $7 "newer" cultivar daylilies is a sure sign that they will be TC ;)

Sharon

• Crazy_Gardener
    Original Author
    15 years ago

I have many seeds that have germinated and are growing well, however, I have had some crosses that have not germinated so far, either they have rotted inside the seed, old seed or they are stubborn dormant seeds. Next year I'm going to try that "On the Rocks" method using plain water, that way I can see what is going on.

The ones that have not germinated at all are going into the fridge for a cold period.

Sharon

• kathy_h_grower
    15 years ago

I have on order from Veseys 2 daylilies, and after talking here thought I would send them an email and ask. Well, the reply was the plants I am to get are field grown but DID come from TC plants. So there goes 2 plants I was hoping to plant this year. I have to send them a reply and tell them to cancel the plants. I don't know if they'll send me my money back so what are their hosta or reg. lilies like. Anyone have an opinion on that?
    Thanks for all the advice so far!!!
    Kathy

• Crazy_Gardener
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Kathy, I have ordered Daylilies from Veseys a couple of years ago when they had a super-duper fall sale. Will see how they do if they bloom this season. They were so cheap I'll take the chance but if its a special cultivar you want, I would pass.

Hostas, well that is a whole different ball game. TC doesn't seem to effect Hostas, however, its best to order from growers who test for the virus called Hosta Virus X (HVX). I'm sure Veseys doesn't test theirs.

Google HVX and you can read all about how it spreads.

• Crazy_Gardener
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Oh btw, Veseys will refund or credit you.

• swontgirl_z5a
    15 years ago

I have 2 crosses of purchased seeds that are giving me trouble as well. They have been soaking for 2 weeks and I don't like to leave them much longer than that. One had germinated this morning but that is it from 47 seeds. They are both from the same pod parent. All of the seeds from this grower seemed dry when they came but most of the rest have done fine with just a few stragglers that I will probably pot up tomorrow whether or not they have germinated. I have read that if seeds are too dry when they are stored in the fridge sometimes the dormant period won't be broken. Now that they are good and wet will putting them back in the fridge possible help that? Should you put them in water in a baggie or just in the bag?
    Debbie

• Crazy_Gardener
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Debbie, I put my stubborn seeds that haven't germinated in small little baggies with some distilled water in them back into the fridge, I check on them every other day just in case they germinate.

For those who haven't ordered from Floral & Hardy before, she is having some special $ on some daylilies.
    BRADLEY BERNARD is only $5!

Sharon

• swontgirl_z5a
    15 years ago

Hi,
    Some more of my seeds germinated so I just planted the rest and we will see what happens. I left them on my heat mat instead of taking them downstairs and if that doesn't work I will take them down there and leave them.
    I got Bradley Bernard last year from F & H and it bloomed and was amazing! Definitely recommended.
    Debbie

• kathy_h_grower
    15 years ago

Hi
    I still haven't recieved any of my seeds!
    I'm getting ants, I want to get started!
    Has anyone tried the "On the Rocks" method?
    They have quite a bit about it on the Daylily forum. I'm thinking of trying it on some of the seeds that I have lots of and using the soaking method for the others.
    Do you think that's a good idea or stick to what you girls use?? See I'm new to this!
    Kathy

• Crazy_Gardener
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Now how's this for teeth!

• kathy_h_grower
    15 years ago

Wow, but for that price????
    I KNOW there would be a divorce!
    But it is nice!

Kathy

• swontgirl_z5a
    15 years ago

Hi Kathy,
    I haven't tried the on the rocks method but it looks worth trying. Let us know how it goes. I have all of my seeds planted and most of the sprouted ones are coming up. The unsprouted are still sitting planted on my heat mat and I will probably wait another week to see if they come up before taking them downstairs.In the batch of my own that I started before Christmas I just planted the late stragglers, took them downstairs where it is around 60F and it's amazing how most of them have come up over the last 2 months.

I hope the rest of my boughten ones do that too. Now I am just trying to water correctly. I still water from the top a bit until they come up and probably have some roots.Then I start watering from the bottom. There still seems to be some that don't soak up the water as well and I have to water them separately. I like to just look at them. It makes me forget this crazy winter. Back to -25 C windchill today and alot of our snow disappeared last week when it poured rain for 2 days. I will be amazed if anything is still alive this spring. I am glad I put some extra mulch over my daylilies last fall.

Sharon, Do you like F & H's new website? They have alot of stuff eh? Wild hair is nice but I think I can live without it for now!! I will go to Betty's this summer and see if I can take a picture of it to look at next winter! That will have to do!
    How are your seedlings doing. Do you have some older ones that will bloom this summer?
    Keep thinking spring!!
    Debbie

• Crazy_Gardener
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Kathy, no divorce if your DH doesn't know, mom's the word...shhhhh ;)

Debbie, you guys must be getting that cold front we had last week, its suppose to start getting warmer here this week, finally!

Yes, I sure do, I really love F&H's new website, I like the search feature and all the new daylilies that Betty got in. Some of them are very pricey, but like any new introduction daylily its going to be expensive for the first 3-5 years.

I love all the Gossards and want them all!

My new seedlings are all doing great growing under lights right now.
    Im anticipating and hoping for a lot of 2007 seedlings to bloom this year.
    Here's a link to a few of my seedlings that bloomed last year.

Sharon

• swontgirl_z5a
    15 years ago

Hi Sharon,
    Your seedlings are great! I really like the big UF types. Hope to see more pics this summer. Spiders are okay ( and I have and have ordered several)but out in the country here if the petals fold or curl up too much you don't see anything. I like to see colour when I look out my kitchen wondow and the big UFs are the best at that. When you garden out in the wide open you want something that makes a big show of colour. It is definitely gardening on a big scale.
    I like the Gossards too but most are too rich for my blood yet! I have some seeds started off Smoke Scream, Purple Cheetah, Heavenly Energizer and Raspberry Griffen. They should be fun.
    By the way, What does DH mean? I think H is husband but I can think of a variety of things for D!!!
    As long as they don't have a clue what we're up to it really doesn't matter!
    Debbie

• Crazy_Gardener
    Original Author
    15 years ago

DH stands for dear hubby, or dumb hubby (depending on what he has or has not done!).
    I don't give details to mine on what I spend, besides I work for my own addiction. LOL

As for Gossards, I do have Mystic Jellyfish on order, my most expensive dl so far, I'm hoping it will bloom 50% Polymerous.

Spring is just around the corner!

Sharon

• swontgirl_z5a
    15 years ago

Good for you Sharon! I am glad there is someone else like me. I look at my gardening and my other hobbies as a trade off for working on this farm almost every day of the year. If I have to be here all the time I might as well have something to enjoy while I am here and have a few minutes. No vacation last year so....more daylilies. Sounds fair to me!!
    Unfortunately my husband is really enjoying this breeding thing and the seedlings. It must be the farmer in him. If I thought I would get any help with them in the spring it might be okay but I know he will have MANY seeds to plant and not enough time for that let alone helping with my stuff! Oh well. I guess it wouldn't hurt to let him in on things slowly... Maybe after we sell the cows he'll have more time!!
    Debbie

• swontgirl_z5a
    15 years ago

Have any of you seen this website about Poytepals? It is very informative. I think Bobby Baxter has registered quite a few polymerous daylilies and is working towards getting them all more recognition.

• Crazy_Gardener
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Yes Debbie, I was reading that weblink a couple of weeks ago when I ordered MJ.

If you're into Gossard style, you might want to bookmark his site.

Sharon

• Crazy_Gardener
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Here is a fine example of tissue cultured. I bought this daylily years ago at Patricks Studio. I don't have the heart to ditch it just yet. Maybe I will make a bed just for TC's ;)

My Edge of Darkness (tissue cultured) grrrr

There should be a law against this!

Sharon

• swontgirl_z5a
    15 years ago

Wow,
    That really doesn't look like it does it? That is just like my Daring Deception that I posted above. It is supposed to be purple and instead it is brownish. I wish they couldn't sell Tissue cultured daylilies under the registered name. It obviously doesn't work
    Debbie

• Crazy_Gardener
    Original Author
    15 years ago

"I have read that if seeds are too dry when they are stored in the fridge sometimes the dormant period won't be broken. Now that they are good and wet will putting them back in the fridge possible help that? Should you put them in water in a baggie or just in the bag?
    Debbie"

I have been re-reading some of the threads over at the Yahoo DaylilyCanada Group and decided to add a couple of tbsp of moist vermiculite to those dormant seeds and put them in the fridge for a month.

Sue B writes....
    "Stratification means chilling under damp conditions, so putting the seeds in a plastic baggie with damp vermiculite, damp sand, on damp coffee filter...."

Sharon

• swontgirl_z5a
    15 years ago

Hi Sharon,
    If the seeds have been soaked they would then be wet wouldn't they?
    In any case I didn't put mine back in the fridge - I just couldn't bear to lose 4 more weeks. Some of eveything had come up so I planted the rest. There are 6 cups from 5 different crosses coming up this morning so I think they will come.
    I have a question about daylily proliferations if anybody might know about them. I planted some last fall but only 2 survived. One has had brown leaves all winter but it seemed to have rooted so I left it. The other stayed green all winter. Here is my question. If a prolif is off a dormant plant will it's leaves die off in the winter? I pulled the dead leaves off this one and there appears to be green in its center - it's not growing yet though. It's been in the house all along but I would assume a dormant plant knows that it is winter even if indoors? Any ideas?

Any seeds yet Kathy?

Debbie

• kathy_h_grower
    15 years ago

Hi Debbie
    I got some of my seeds the other day. So I just had to get at them right away. I didn't get home from town till close to 9 that night but I couldn't wait so started soaking them right away. They sure seemed to plump up fast! So the ones this morning that had started to sink I put in dirt already. I maybe should have waited a bit but I thought if they are sinking they must be ready??!!

Debbie, from what I have read if its a dormant the leaves will likely die anyway for winter. Now someone more knowledgable may tell you different but that's what I would think!?

I was looking at some of the crosses I have gotten and the parents crosses ect. and it looks like you can have 2 dormants and they may still make a EVR or a SEV. I still have more to go through but I don't think you really can make sure they will be dormant.

Talk later
    Kathy

• Crazy_Gardener
    Original Author
    15 years ago

If the seeds have been soaked they would then be wet wouldn't they?
    Yes, they would be damp, but they would dry out eventually or go moldy within the 4-6 weeks stratification period. You need something to hold the moistness. I also spray a squirt of damp off in the bag before sealing checking them everyday for mold.

Proliferations will be genetically clone to the parent plant therefore the plant should be dormant.

Ive had overwintered dormant plant growing near a sunny cool window indoors stay green all winter long. (semi-dormant). I just let them be, watering very sparely and no fertilizer. Yours may have died (over watering) or it may very well be in a dormant stage if its in a cool dark room. I wouldnt disturb it right now, if its alive it will wake up soon as spring approaches.

• swontgirl_z5a
    15 years ago

Hi, Just a note to let you know that Mother and Daughters Daylilies have updated their website for 2009. They were wonderful to deal with last year and sent me the nicest plants I received. They are still adding more photos and for some reason they are loading a bit slowly on my computer. The last part of the alphabet isn't updated yet and still load quite fast. Once the page is loaded once it is quick the next time. They have a great selection of ruffles and other fancy edges. Check them out! I highly recommend them!

• explorer_mb
    15 years ago

Hi all,

I have several batches of stubborn seeds that refuse to germinate in the warmth, (some very expensive ones), so maybe will have to try germinating them in the fridge with moist vermiculite... thanks Sharon for suggesting that... getting excited now, as I've actually seen green shoots coming out of the ground where I planted the seedlings last fall... I'm sure not all of them will make it, but I did see quite a few coming along... we've had some very cold temps the last few nights, so I covered them back up with some mulch (carpet underlay) during the nights... talk to you all again soon...

Rob

• Crazy_Gardener
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Hi Rob, there are going to be some seeds that just won't germinate. Those stubborn seeds that I gave a 6wk stratification period still haven't sprouted. Ill leave them but I aint expecting miracles.

I did some cleaning up in the seedling bed too and so far I only see a few losses, but yet its still early to do an actual stock count. I'm pretty happy since I did not cover them at freeze up time and they are pretty well in a open field.

I have hundreds of seedlings out in the greenhouse waiting to get planted before June, as well, some that are in the sprouting stage indoors. Yikes!

Best wishes for some last year seedling's that will bloom for us this year ;)

Sharon

• swontgirl_z5a
    14 years ago

Hi Guys,
    Any advice on how to plant out those DL seedlings? I am planning on putting them in long rows across(what used to be!) my vegetable garden. How far apart for plants and rows. I have a little Mantis tiller but I am not sure I trust myself enough with it to go between the rows. That things crazy!! And how do you label them or record them? I have many different crosses and many varying numbers of each. I have just not had any good ideas on this. Would love to hear your tips. Thanks for your help.

• Crazy_Gardener
    Original Author
    14 years ago

For my seedlings I plant them in holding garden and grow them in long rows too, they are spaced about 6" apart, aprox 5 plants lengthwise, then about 2ft path between the rows so that I can get in there to weed and walk thru.

I just number them as I sow. Each cross gets a number and recorded in WordPerfect9, once they bloom in 2-3 yrs, they are given a sub number if there is more than one seedling from that particular cross. For instance #1 - 4, #6 - 8. Then when I take a photo and record it, I can look at my database and see that #1 - 4 is Carmine Ibis x Lola Branham.
    I just use vertical blinds and write with a Lee Valley Garden Marker. Later down the road, if they are winners and good performers in my eyes, they will be tagged with a Lee Valley Rose Marker/ "TZ" laminated tape. In a few years I will have to herd out the ones that I dont want to make room for other crosses I plan on sowing ;)

Sharon

• swontgirl_z5a
    14 years ago

Hi Sharon,
    I assume you mean the plants are 6" apart within the rows and the rows 2' apart but what do you mean by the 'approx 5 plants lengthwise'? And do you put in a "Blind marker" for every seedling then or just at the start of a new cross?

• Crazy_Gardener
    Original Author
    14 years ago

My rows are aprox 50ft long, 5 across.

Yes, each seedling gets a blind marker.

• swontgirl_z5a
    14 years ago

Hi Sharon,
    Forgive me for being so dense but I think what you are doing is what I had thought would work here spacewise. You have 50' rows with the plants 6" apart within the row. You have 5 of them close together(like the 6"apart) and then the 2'space to walk down? Then another 5 rows and so on?
    Thats a lot of markers to make! I had better get going on that now while it is still wet! What a job this is going to be. My seedlings are all on my porch with some of them going out in the sunny garden for the day-when it is out! Everyone who comes to the door wonders what the heck they are. I think some people thought I had a grow op going all winter in the basement and now they wonder what all the plants are! I think they think I'm crazy and I am beginning to think they're right!

• Crazy_Gardener
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Well, I just about #$^&%!
    Don't give up on those stubborn seeds, these finally germinated today! I guess they seen the snow outside and decided to cheer me up ;)

BED OF NAILS X ALL AMERICAN CHIEF (5)
    TET SEEDLING X WEBSTERS PINK WONDER (7)

I also received my Strong's order in yesterday and was sent some nice gift plants!

BARK AT ME
    CHOKECHERRY MOUNTAIN
    KIRSTENS CORSAGE (gift)
    KYOTO SWAN (gift)(Moldovan 2001)
    LEAPING LIZARDS
    LOLA BRANHAM
    TALON

Sharon

• kathy_h_grower
    14 years ago

I have some plants that are "in the mail". I've also got about 4" of the white stuff on the ground. What do I do if I can't plant them out? I know I don't have enough pots to put all the daylilies in that I have ordered!
    I think this gardening stuff is going to drive me to drink!
    I have to get busy making markers for all the new daylilies coming as well as the crosses in the basement that will also have to go out!
    Kathy

• Crazy_Gardener
    Original Author
    14 years ago

If these daylilies have been acclimatized from a field grown grower they will be fine to plant as soon as the snow melts. Daylilies can take some light frosts and snow.

However if you can't get in the garden because its too wet, or they have not been aclimatized to cool weather, then you can always plop them in grocery bags with damp peat moss.

Sharon

• Crazy_Gardener
    Original Author
    14 years ago

One of my seedlings opened today, this one really stand out in the garden.

#2-2
    Carmine Ibis x Lola Branham dor/dip

Sharon

• explorer_mb
    14 years ago

Wow Sharon...

That is one great seedling!!!
    Love the spidery look and absolutely love the colours with those white ribs, white edges on the sepals... and yellow/green throat... it's a winner!

Just thought I'd let you all know what I ordered this spring for daylilies...

From Michaela at Fairyscape Daylilies:

Castle Pinkney
    Owl Eyes
    Stargate Angel
    Blue Venom (Bonus)
    Sister Mary (Bonus)
    ... she sent such nice plants, all with more than the double fans advertised...and two bonuses for the three plants I ordered... very nice plants.. scapes coming up on Castle Pinkney and Stargate Angel... (I do love Elizabeth Shooter's purpley/rosey plants for sure!!) Just have to find a source here in Canada for Snake In The Grass Boo.. I heard Coral Kincaid might have some... have to look for that this next winter..

From Joe @ Hawkvalley Hemerocallis Haven:

Amethyst Art (scape coming)
    Black Ice
    Boogie By Woogie Baby (scape)
    Dark Star (ffo'd already)
    Emerald Eye
    Fellow (scape, but dried up :-(
    Gadsden Goliath
    Heavenly Curls (scape coming)
    Jessica Lillian (2scapes coming)
    Jocelyn's Oddity (scape)
    Longstocking (flowered already)
    Nemesis (not sure about a scape)
    Peacock Maiden
    Pink Rain Dance
    Pink Super Spider (FFO today)
    Puppet Lady
    Purple Satellite
    Skinwalker (scape)
    Starman's Quest (scape dried up)
    Starsearch (FFO today)
    Tylwyth Teg
    Watchyl Cyber Spider
    Wind Frills (scape)

Once again Joe was so very generous... he gave free shipping on plants over $300, and actually sent them Airmail.. so they were here in a couple of days... and looking great... he also sent many more fans than he had to... some were small clumps... I've always been impressed with what I've received from Joe and if anyone loves the spidery/unusual forms, I think Joe is one of, if not the best person to order them from... his prices are very reasonable and I'd highly recommend him to everyone!!!

I ordered just a few from Gardeness Gardens... they were on the small side last year, but she had good prices and free shipping over $50, so I ordered from her again this spring...

Black Plush
    Indian Giver (advertised as one fan but very small, not at all mature...the only stickler in the bunch..)
    Night Beacon
    Respighi
    South Seas
    Startling Creation (advertised as one fan)
    Trahlyta

I was impressed with the order I received this year...the fans weren't huge, but other than the two that were advertised as only one fan, the others were more than two fans... she sent 5 fans of Respighi, 4 of Trahlyta, three or four of South Seas and Black Plush... I got all of these for $60 shipping included... very nice.. maybe she's been reading the forums... lol...

I also bid on some cv's on the new Canadian site, Daylily Auctions... there was a seller there listed as Debbie RF..
    I had won a couple of auctions and emailed back and forth and found out she used to live here in Manitoba... Winnipeg and Brandon and had come up here to The Pas for our Trapper's Festival when she used compete in the dogsled races... for those people who don't know... The Pas, Manitoba has the World Championship Dogsled Races...so the title is pretty prestigious... anyway.. this was her first year selling plants from her own garden (now near Cornwall, Ontario)... I ended up ordering a few that she had available... she too was very generous with such nice clumps and so many bonuses that I was interested in... she isn't a high volume seller, just some that she had extras of... these are what I ordered...

Bela Lugosi (2scapes coming)
    Chance Encounter (scape coming)
    Chicago Silver (scape coming)
    Frans Hals (bonus) (2scapes coming)
    Happy Returns (bonus)(almost done blooming on 3scapes)
    Here Today (scape coming)
    Lake Norman Spider
    Luxury Lace (bonus)
    Prairie Blue Eyes (small clump)(at least 2 scapes coming)
    Red Volunteer
    Ruby Spider ( ffo blooming tomorrow)
    Wayside King Royale (scape dried up)

Look for her next spring on the Canadian Daylily Auction site... if it's still up and running... :-)

I also bought another one from a nursery here, called Pardon Me.... which is almost done blooming on three scapes.. very nice smaller cv with dark red/burgundy 3in flowers...

That's pretty much it, except for one that was obviously TC'd and wasn't at all what it was supposed to be.. Blueberry Sundae from a nursery... I exchanged it for some other very nice plants... not daylilies of course.. lol..

I am finding that I'm going to run out of room shortly... don't really know what I was thinking.. lol.. have to be very selective from now on, or aquire some land...

Talk to you all again soon,
    Rob

• explorer_mb
    14 years ago

Hi again...

I don't know what I was thinking, but I neglected to include two more orders that I purchased last spring...

From Floral and Hardy:

Autumn Minaret
    Big Kiss (Bonus)
    Chicago Scintilation (I think this one died even though it was potted up...)
    Christmas Is.. (Another one which died after being potted up) Do you think I should mention this to Betty? It was pretty small when it got here.. very small...
    Flutterbye
    Fly Catcher
    Frankie's Fantasy (bloomed already)
    Funfling
    Holly Dancer
    Hyperion
    Itsy Bitsy Spider
    Regal Finale
    Robinette (scape)
    Rocket City (scape)
    Rosie Meyer
    Scarlett's Web (4 blooms already and two more to go)(Huge fans for a dip.. and beautiful...)
    Theron
    Thomas Lee
    'Tis Midnight

Scarlett's Web had some great blooms, and if I can figure out how to post pics I'll do that.. lol...

Another one I forgot to mention and the last one I'm sure, is from Strong's...

Ariana Crystal (Bonus)
    Jayree's Joy (two scapes coming up)
    Leaping Lizard (another Elizabeth Shooter cv that I just love... 2 scapes coming up)
    Red Suspenders (Webster)
    Thunder Mountain (Roberts N.) I do love alot of Ned Roberts cv's.. and they are starting to increase in number...

There could be more scapes coming on other plants that are mentioned here or on the last list... I'll try and capture those first blooms on camera...

Rob

• swontgirl_z5a
    14 years ago

Wow Sharon,
    Your seedling is wonderful! I think you should start a new thread with your seedlings posted as they bloom. How has you summer been out there? Our daylilies have been behind. We have had no heat or rain where I am since June. It finally rained on Thursday and doesn't look like it will stop yet. We are supposed to get some heat this week so hopefully the dayliles will do better. I have many short scapes and small flowers despite watering them. Many of my new ones are blooming thank goodness even though many are only abour 6" off the ground. I am trying to get photos to make sure they are at least the right thing. Have had a few incorrect ones sent I am afraid. My seedlings are looking great and growing well. I can't really believe them and hope if they continue at this rate they will bloom next year. I followed your advice to plant them and have watered them with a soaker hose. Do you move them further apart at some point? They seem awfully close together for now but are growing so well I am not worried yet. I can hardly wait until next year. I don't know with the weather and parental health issues if I will get any crosses made this year but I guess I can always buy some seeds this winter! Keep the photos coming - this one was awesome - just the kind I like.
    Debbie

• Crazy_Gardener
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thanks Rob and Debbie ;)

Rob, we are going to have to do some major trading in the future ;)
    Gardeness Gardens is for sure reading the FN forum, email me and I will let you read the rude email she wrote to me. I will never order from her again! Thank goodness for Garden Web and Dave's Gardening for buyers beware.

Debbie, we've had a cold spring, cool summer with only a few days of very hot water and very little rain. The daylilies are not doing so well compared to other years, they need the heat and moisture to bloom well.

Prague Spring x Heavenly Angel Ice

Sharon

• swontgirl_z5a
    14 years ago

Hi Sharon,
    Your weather sounds much like ours. We have had so little heat. It is raining today- the first prolonged rain we have had all summer. Everything else has soaked in so fast it is gone the next day. It seems so weird to have dry and yet cold weather. I almost turned the furnace on tonight but went and put on another sweater instead.
    The white seedling is nice too. Are your seedlings that are blooming second or third summer plants? I have posted a link to some of the daylilies I have that have either done well despite the weather or that I am impressed with in the first year. Blueberry Breakfast is just the most amazing colour! Nothing has very good branching this year and the bloom period is not going to last long for anything. There are a few I bought last year while in bloom that aren't going to bloom at all - interesting lesson! I still love them though!

• debbiecz3
    14 years ago

Lots of beauties but that blueberry breakfast is gorgeous! Where can I find it?

• swontgirl_z5a
    14 years ago

Thanks Debbie,
    I purchased Blueberry Breakfast from Val Mahnic in Guelph this spring but the Canadian Daylily availability Guide says Floral & Hardy, Nottawasaga and Redlane all sell it. It is an older cultivar from 1988 but it isn't like anything else I have for colour. Unlike many others blooming for the first time this summer the blooms were perfect right off the bat.
    Does anyone up there know whether Spiders and UFS take a while to attain their true form? I have many new ones that sort of look right but they have a long way to go before they will look how they should. Is this a weather thing, a first year thing or a first bloom thing every year? I am having a difficult time telling if some of the dayliles I received are the right thing. Thanks for any advice.
    Debbie

• debbie_z2
    14 years ago

Must be lots of fun Sharon to wait anxiously to see a new seedling bloom for the first time! both are lovely:)
    This is kinda my "dog" $$ spending year, not a gardening year, so had only ordered 3 daylilies from Coral Kincaid (was so impressed last year with my order) two for grandaughters - Brooklyn Twist (which is so appropriate with her kinky/curly hair) and the closest I could come up with for Colby was Colburg's Frightwig (appropriate in a way, as her hair is REALLY curly/tossled) both Coral and I agreed, that Colby better have a good sense of humor, when she is old enough to know what her "namesake" daylily is:) both have bloomed and I am pleased with both. The third one I ordered was Radiation Biohazard - everyone's pics of this one, made me "just have to have it".
    The other daylily source I have ordered from in the past was Artemis Gardens and they sent huge/multiple fans - one of particular note is Kings Throne - just got it last year, but this year, it is sending many, many thick scapes up with 4 to 5 way branching, and the blooms are thick, heavy and large, very pleased with this one. (although I have a thing for the spiders)
    I was extremely disapointed with the order from Floral & Hardy (posted a pic on a different thread last year) just a few of my order made it, and although the prices were good, just too disapointed overall to try them again.

Debbie

• Crazy_Gardener
    Original Author
    14 years ago

It is Debbie very exciting, re: F&H, did you email Betty about your order? She's very good with making customers happy, see what she says.

Debbie #2, i have seedlings blooming 2-3 yrs old.

I have seriously officially run out of garden space. I'm not sure what I will do for next year orders :(
    Maybe a big sale next spring ;)

Sharon

• swontgirl_z5a
    14 years ago

Hi Sharon,
    Maybe you will have to start an online business too! We would certainly know anything you grew was very hardy!
    Any advice on the spider and UFo issue I raised in my Aug 11 post? I know you grow lots of them. Some of my new ones are just looking TOO unusual!
    Debbie

• Crazy_Gardener
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Debbie in my experience, some do and some don't fully open their first year. Takes a good 2-3 yrs for any daylily to show its true colors and form. Weather is a issue too.

Sharon