Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
marricgardens

starting daylilyseeds

marricgardens
14 years ago

I saw this posted on the daylily forum. Has anyone tried any of these methods? What were your results? www.ezdaylilies.com/OTRseeds/3rd_test.htm

Marg

Comments (18)

• leftwood
    14 years ago

Daylily seeds are so easy to germinate, you really don't need any elaborate methods. Soak the seed for a day or two will probably help. The peroxide may or may not be doing anything.

Honestly, I am on dial up and I don't have enough time right now to wait for that huge page to download, so I probably didn't get all the nuances.

• northwoodswis
    14 years ago

I have found I have the best germination if I plant the seeds as soon as I harvest them in late summer. I plant them in a row so I can tell them from the grass that might come up around them. After a year or so I transplant them farther apart. It is very easy to hand cross-pollinate daylilies and the results can be highly varied and as nice as many of the fancy kinds in the catalogs. Northwoods Wisconsin

• marricgardens
    Original Author
    14 years ago

I planted mine inside in cups. Out of 62 seeds, 53 have germinated. This is my first time starting seeds so I don't think that's to bad. I was wondering about starting them directly in the garden. Sounds good northwoodwis. Do you mulch the daylilies in the fall? They wouldn't be very big would they? I think I may try some this way next year. Marg

• jam3817
    14 years ago

Can Daylily seeds be purchased? I have had no luck finding any but I am curious to try them. Jamie

• marricgardens
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Hi Jamie. I believe the name of the place to bid on seeds is LA Auction. I just did a google search for 'LA Auction, daylily seeds' and found it. There are different types of seeds you can bid on. Hope this helps. Marg

• mitanoff
    14 years ago

Lets try this again. THought I posted this yesterday.
    Link for cdn daylily seed source besides LA

Here is a link that might be useful: cdn source for daylily seeds

• jam3817
    14 years ago

Thanks so much for all your help. I ordered some seeds from fairyscapedaylilies.com and they came today. Michaela was amazingly generous and a pleasure to order from. I highly recommend her company.

• northwoodswis
    14 years ago

We have a lot of oaks around that naturally mulch my daylilies in the fall. I don't know if it is necessary, but probably helpful. Daylilies are pretty tough. They are probably about the easiest perennials to grow that I can think of. All they need is enough sun and protection from the deer, who love to eat the flower buds.

• joespider
    14 years ago

I planted my daylily seeds 2.5 - 3 weeks ago. I used Melanie Mason shoe box method. The shoe box is like a mini greenhouse. The seeds were not pre treated just planted straight into the soil. Some of the seeds germinated in 6 days. I planted 17 boxes of about 40+ seeds per box. Just over half the seeds are up and a few more are coming each day. For the first two weeks i was using a shop light because the sun was hardly out, but now I'm taking advantage of the sun in a south facing window.
    I have some seeds for sale.

Here is a link that might be useful: SHOE BOX METHOD

• jam3817
    14 years ago

Joespider: So just to be clear, you didn't presoak your seeds at all just put the into your mini greenhouse. Were they dry and crinkled when you planted them?

• joespider
    14 years ago

No they were not dry and crinkled because i dried them, for 48 hour, after harvest and had them stored in the fridge ever since.
    Some people presoak and others say it's not necessary. I never presoaked because i had a-lot of work already to plant the seeds.
    Bottom heat help but not necessary to germinate the seeds.

• fillagirl
    14 years ago

Hello, I'm new at gardening and have been watching this thread. This is my first time at plainting seeds. I soaked my seeds for about one week and then planted them in individual peat pots. Looks like I didn't keep them moist enough (did not know they could not dry out).

It's been 3 weeks and nothing is up. Have I killed the seeds? Anything I can do at this point, or is it wait and see?

• joespider
    14 years ago

My seeds were planted about 3 weeks ago and i haven't had to add any water yet. I moistened the soil before i planted the seeds. Not soaking wet just evenly moist.
    You should be seeing growth by now. There still is hope. I still have some seeds coming each day.
    How deep did you plant the seeds?

• marricgardens
    Original Author
    14 years ago

fillagirl: Did you soak the peat pots first? If not, they probably wicked the moisture away from the soil. I don't think the seeds are goners but then I'm no expert. This is my first year starting seeds. I would set the peat pots in a flat of lukewarm water and let them take up water. Then I would cover with a dome or plastic to keep the moisture in. Don't let it get to wet tho or the seeds will rot. I started mine in cups filled with moist soil. They germinated in about 10 days. I kept them covered until they were about 2". They are now about 4" and doing well.

• fillagirl
    14 years ago

Hi Joe, I didn't plant them very deep, maybe 1/2". I followed some "how to" instructions on a web site and it seems to me it was not very deep at all.

• fillagirl
    14 years ago

Hi Marric, no I didn't soak the peat pots (didn't know you should). I have been misting the tops of the pots every day for about a week or so now (since I figured out they could not dry out) and have put saran wrap over top to get the greenhouse effect (that's OK isn't it?)

I will try putting the pots in lukewarm water to see if that helps. Thanks for all your help, I'll let you know if I get any daylilies growing or not.

• marricgardens
    Original Author
    14 years ago

fillagirl - I always soak peat pots/pellets before planting them. The peat tends to wick water away from the plants/seeds. As Joe does, I also moisten the soil I use before filling the pot.

• joespider
    14 years ago

Go to the Homedepot and buy shoe boxes. There one sale for $1, page 3, this weeks flier.

Sponsored
Peabody Landscape Group
Average rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Franklin County's Reliable Landscape Design & Contracting