Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
danesnpits

Making Al's Gritty Mix -Saskatoon

danesnpits
10 years ago

I found a turface dealer in Saskatoon, now just trying to find the Gran-I-Grit, or similar. Anyone in this area know where? I think the bark I will be able to find no problems. But if anyone has suggestions, please let me know.

Comments (12)

• SouthCountryGuy Zone 4b-5 SE BC
    10 years ago

You can use anything around the 1/8" size that doesn't absorb water. You probably will have to screen anything you find anyways. Suggestions are, in no particular order (best isn't first): Perlite, Manna poultry grit, Cherrystone #2, aquarium gravel basically anything that is the right size and doesn't absorb water. Check and see what they sell for poultry grit and your local feed store.

Good luck

SCG

• joryn
    10 years ago

I am very curious whether you found what you needed locally. I've been perusing Early's Farm & Garden's website, as well as some of the local greenhouses and turf companies and I'm still not sure I've found all that I need. Would love to find out if Al's mix can actually be made here without having to order all the components in.

Thanks!

• danesnpits
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Hi Joryn, I did! I got all my stuff at the Lorne Ave location. I used Axis for the turface, they had the fine fir bark there, gypsum, and granite grit #2. A one stop shop for all!! They do carry turface but just didn't have any during the winter season so that is why the pointed me out to the Axis, and I did make a couple batches. Plants seemingly are doing great in it. So far I have planted a croton and wandering jew in it. I need to make more but all I had was one of those wire screened strainers and then a bigger plastic colander for sifting so it took me forever and a day just to make a gallon of that stuff. I need to be a dang bug screen from home depot! LOL But I live out in Aberdeen so dont get into Saskatoon as much as I can. Wow this stuff makes alot of gritty mix!

• joryn
    10 years ago

Well that's great news. Now I just need to actually find the time to head over there. Thanks for the tip re: screening the mix. I had totally forgotten about that (using a colander...that's creative!) so I'll have to see what I've got laying about to utilize.

Very excited to give this stuff a shot. I don't suppose you could give me the exact shopping list you got at Early's eh? It might save me some time instead of trying to get them to understand what size granite, or what fir bark I'm referring to, etc., if I have a proper list.

Thanks again!

• danesnpits
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Yes screen it Joryn!!! Take a metal strainer the ones you use for cooking, very fine, and use that for the grit and axis..I used a plastic colander for the fir bark since it has bigger slits in it, and it worked great. I will attach pics of the ones I used below. I am also attaching the exact links to the website of the stuff I bought. The axis is found here and it's to the left of the tills near the fir bark. If you can't find it just ask. They are amazing people to work with and will help you. http://www.earlysgarden.com/soil-rock-mixes/axis-soil-amendment

I got a couple bags of fine fir bark next. I will need more as it doesn't last long. I used the plastic colander to sift it. I can't seem to find it on the site, so will take a pic..just look left of their cash registers down an isle on a middle shelf..easy to find..if u can't find, just ask.

Then I got the granit grit #2..make sure to ask for size 2, and it has to be asked for at the till, as it's in the warehouse.

Then I got the gypsum, you must as for it at the till, it's in warehouse..I add 2 tbsp per gallon of sifted mixture.
    http://www.earlysgarden.com/soil-rock-mixes/gypsum

This post was edited by danesnpits on Fri, Dec 6, 13 at 13:04

• danesnpits
    Original Author
    10 years ago

The strainer I use for sifting the granite grit and axis..I recommend getting a bug screen for your window cuz this takes forever.

• danesnpits
    Original Author
    10 years ago

The colander I use for sifting the fine fir bark. Notice how the slits are bigger. It works well and does the job pretty quick.

• danesnpits
    Original Author
    10 years ago

The granite grit is called silica grit brand name Target. Ask at the till for a bag in size #2

• danesnpits
    Original Author
    10 years ago

And finally the fine fir bark. You will need alot of bags of this, if you are going to use up all your ingredients from each bag. I only bought 2, wish I would have bought more. I used the plastic colander to sift this. Worked like a charm.

• danesnpits
    Original Author
    10 years ago

And finally the fine fir bark. You will need alot of bags of this, if you are going to use up all your ingredients from each bag. I only bought 2, wish I would have bought more. I used the plastic colander to sift this. Worked like a charm.

{{!gwi}}

• joryn
    10 years ago

Thanks! Looks like my shopping list is ready. Now I just need to actually find the time and space to prep this stuff. Current weather makes this a fair bit more interesting heh.

• danesnpits
    Original Author
    10 years ago

oh god do I know hehe..I was stranded in Red Deer during that storm a couple weeks back..took me 9 hours to get there, and 2 nights in a hotel, with me, my 2 friends, their bulldog and my 2 great danes..not fun! Most scariest trip of my life. I have not been out of my house since Nov 21. I supposed I should just sit my butt down and make some more gritty mix hehehe..but my god, the way I do it literally takes forever. My suggestion, get one of those big plastic totes from walmart..the ones that hold a bunch of clothes, or books, collectibles etc..not sure in gallons what it would be but guessing 20 gallons or so..then get that bug screen and make frame around it for your sifter..u can do a whole bag of sifting in 1 or 2 shots! You can even get some wider stuff at home depot for sifting the fir bark..but the fir bark is the least of your worries in my opinion.

Sponsored
Foremost Siding & Exterior Design Solutions in Columbus