Return to the Far North Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Rodent protection methods

Posted by luv2gro z3a AB (My Page) on
Sat, Nov 10, 07 at 16:31

After the brutal winter that I had last year with pocket gophers and mice, I decided that I'd better get a bit of protection around some of my baby trees. I know that there is the white wrap that you can put around them. Our neighbour used it and something chewed right through it. But, a friend of my son's worked in exterminating for awhile and he maintains that rodents hate steel wool. Anybody have any thoughts of what could happen if I wrapped them in steel wool? I think I would also put some saran wrap around the steel wool. Then, it wouldn't disintegrate into the surrounding soil so much. Any thoughts - pros or cons?

Shauna

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Rodent protection methods

Shauna
Anything you do is better then nothing!
I say, first bring the rodent population down.
Every fall I buy some Rat & Mice poison from Canadian Tire, the ones what come in pellets in little plastic bags, put one or two bags in a gallon plastic planter pots, put another on top and put it under wherever you find it suited to check, I put mine under spruce trees, under shed, wood piles etc.

I find this method is save, in the sense that only mice can go in and out from the pots drain holes.
This I do on the acreage, in town, I usually keep some around in the shed, mice know where the goodies are.
Second, spraying or paint fruit trees, mainly on trunk, with half water and latex paint, a little bit of Thirame powder added. This I have done only outside of town.
Konrad

o

Thanks, Konrad. You steered me onto a direction that I hadn't really thought about. Canadian Tire - here I come. I'll have to be a bit careful because of my own cat, but maybe I can invite the neighbour's annoying felines over for a visit. No, I wouldn't do that. But, I can see where setting up a few bait stations would certainly help save my trees.

Shauna

o

Today I went out and re - filled some of the empty pots.
Actually, this stuff is called Rat & Mouse Pellets, a product from CIL and it should kill with a single feeding.

I put the bags in the pot without opening it, mice nibble it nicely open for the rewards..gee I'm bad!
The first couple of re - fills are usually within a 2 to 3 weeks period, then it slows down to almost 0 fills for the rest of the winter,....in my neck of the woods.

One fall I bought juice fruit gum for about $20,
as one lady told me that it works, about two month
later I think the population went up because they wanted
more and more! ....Then it was back to poison.
I still don't like to use poison, ..well I just bought about a dozen of traps to ease on the poison.
Konrad

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Far North Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here