Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
rosecavalier

Bloodgood Maple

rosecavalier
10 years ago

I saw this maple in the West Kootenays two weeks ago and was impressed...so I did a search on this forum...didn't find much about gardeners trying this cultivar on the Canadian prairies. Have any of the forum folks tried this beauty even though it is rated Zone 4/5? Didn't know it even existed til I saw it.

This maple was planted 8 yrs ago is about 15ft tall...located near Burton, BC.

Comments (16)

• ostrich
    10 years ago

I used to have a beautiful laceleaf dwarf Japanese maple in my previous zone 5 home..... it's my favourite tree and I miss it so much!

I am not aware of any Japanese Maple growing in the prairies, so if anyone is aware of it, I would love to know too!

• donaldvancouver
    10 years ago

Hi- Bloodgood is a very popular red-leafed Japanese maple. I have never seen it grow colder than zone 5. Amur maple is your best bet on the prairies- you don't get the nice leaf shape but the tree profile isn't too far off and the beautiful fall colour is similar.

• FrozeBudd_z3/4
    10 years ago

Now, that's some brilliant color! Unfortunately, even in a very sheltered micoclmate, I have yet to come across anyone on the Canadian prairie growing a Japanese maple without providing it with winter protection. I did have a 'Emperor 1' growing in a large pot I'd set in the unheated attached garage for the winter, but I had let it dry out too much and lost the thing :(

• beegood_gw
    10 years ago

This is a small Amur maple in my yard. I left it as a shrub but a lot are grown as trees

• rosecavalier
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks for the comments...and photo of the Amur maple, beegood...just planted one at my daughter's place this fall...good reviews on this forum. Japanese maples have the pleasing fabulous colors and texture...often throughout the summer too. Color in the fall is a real bonus for us northerners...here is a photo of a thornless r. canina...a stone's throw from the maple

• beegood_gw
    10 years ago

Would love to grow a rose with rose hips like that but looks my zone is too cold.

• rosecavalier
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Doesn't that seem to be the case...maybe a little too often!

Actually, my unsubstantiated feeling is that this rose wouldn't be too difficult to winter here...canes are somewhat supple and would lend themselves to lowering to the ground to be covered...if you're up for it. It's a wild rose and one of the best hip displays I've seen. Typically they have vicious thorns...I once tried to pick an apple on a tree that had been engulfed by one of these...never again. Also, that same bush had numerous bird nests near the apple I was savouring...now I know why. But the one in the photo is thornless!

• northspruce
    10 years ago

I agree that an Amur maple offers at least as much as that Bloodgood - although it is very beautiful. I have an Amur which I have decided to let grow into a tree and it's grown quite quickly. I know of some properties around here with long rows of Amurs and they are stunning in fall.

My Morden Centennial rose surprised me with lots of very big hips this fall. I bought it half dead for $3 and never really look at it but the hips make me do a double take when I was covering stuff up.

• shillanorth Z4 AB
    10 years ago

Beegood - may I ask what variety that is - absolutely stunning!!!! Thanks for the eye candy.

Shilla

• beegood_gw
    10 years ago

All I remember is that it was an Amur Maple. Got it The Big Greenhouse in Spruce Grove several years back. The deer keep it trimmed back pretty well.

• shillanorth Z4 AB
    10 years ago

Thanks beegood - I remember The Big Greenhouse well - I used to stop in there on my way south.

• FrozeBudd_z3/4
    10 years ago

The Big Greenhouse is a mere ten minute drive and a favorite stop of mine where I'll sometimes come across rare and hard to find plants.

• beegood_gw
    10 years ago

I think it's a great green house too and I live east of Edmonton. Did people ever ask what the name of it was when you told them you'd been to the big green house in Spruce grove. I had that happen a few times.

• shillanorth Z4 AB
    10 years ago

We northerners knew it well - it was such an oasis and feast for the senses when we hit ``the south```!!!!

• FrozeBudd_z3/4
    10 years ago

Beegood, what Big Greenhouse are you talking about, you mean the one along the highway on the east side of Spruce Grove? lol ... yep, it happens, lol.

• beegood_gw
    10 years ago

That's the one. !! Really like going there as they have a real variety of plants. Especially perennials and shrubs etc.