Return to the Far North Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
sambucus racemosa sutherland gold

Posted by ron1_2007 (My Page) on
Thu, Nov 15, 07 at 17:46

I planted this last fall, can I prune this to the ground this fall? What are the pros and cons? I understand that if I do not prune in such a manner the plant will become woodier and knobbier and reach its maximum height/spread quicker. I think I would like to have in an intermediate size. Thanks,Ron

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: sambucus racemosa sutherland gold

Mine was planted three years ago. It never occurred to me to prune it, so the only pruning has been done by deer. It's about 7 or 8 feet tall now with maybe a 5 foot spread. I love it and would like to plant another one in full sun - this one is in partial shade so the leaves are greener.

If you look in the Gallery under "Asignment #2", there's a picture that shows some of its branches right now. It's woody but i don't think it's very knobby.

o
RE: sambucus racemosa sutherland gold

I have this plant as well. Mine is in a bad spot, viewing wise, sort of beside the gazebo but hidden by an apple tree. In other words, it doesn't get much sun so isn't golden, but I definitely adore this shrub and it's quick growing and hardy.

Mine started off as a small 4 inch pot, so it's taken a few years to get a hold. This year, however, it's grown from a one foot 'whip' to having several 4 foot long weeping branches. I rather like it. Though they tolerate trimming I don't know if chopping to the ground annually is necessary. I would definitely trim annually as you see fit, it keeps the plant more compact and encourages branching. Maybe annual trimming but only trim to the ground after a few years when it gets woody and unsightly?

This is a large shrub and it wants to grow a decent size, but I imagine they are quite tolerant of trimming, most quick growing shrubs usually are.

Just my two cents.

Glen

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Far North Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here