Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
nutsaboutflowers

Mermaid? The BUBBLE hath returneth

nutsaboutflowers
12 years ago

I've started looking through the old Bubble threads and came across this one. There's some beautiful pictures =:)

There's a picture of a "mermaid" ?

Could anybody explain the humour?

Comments (23)

• marciaz3 Tropical 3 Northwestern Ontario
    12 years ago

That was either Shelley or Ange, if i remember right, but i can't remember why it was done.

Just about ready for the Bubble - we only have a few cms of snow but i'm sick of it already!

• nutsaboutflowers
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Marcia - I've already been to the bubble, as you can see.

My kitchen blinds haven't been opened since it snowed. I can't stand to look !

I already have plans to hopefully get a bench somewhat like Pudge's in my yard next spring.

Thanks goodness my computer screen saver has garden pictures on it, as I've already had enough of winter also....

• FrozeBudd_z3/4
    12 years ago

Hibernation mode here ... and really quite happy to have put the gardens to rest for the season! Really cold though and have received about 10 to 12 inches of snow, so am actually glad to see my plants all snuggled in under the blanket of protection, hey it's winter, I gotta stop hating it and just accept it, even though I don't really like it! Ask me how much I'm enjoying it when late March and April arrive and it's still snow covered and cold, ugh!

Laid the 'Ramblin Red' climbing rose to the ground the other day along with a few others and topped these with extra snow, so that was my last garden task of the season, almost. Now, I need to take the snow blower to the driveway, I got the shovel out not realizing just how much snow had fallen and quickly gave up as it would take me the better part of two days doing it by hand, I don't mind some exercise, though that's a bit much ! Didn't get the gas can filled when I was in town the other day and there's only a few inches in the tank of the blower, so I gotta move fast once I get it started!

Deer tracks already fill the snow as they now search and paw down for food. I had completely cleaned off the garden and cut down all perennials to deter attracting the buggers, though they'll soon turn their attention to the shrubs if I don't do some wrapping of them. I have many of those Universality of Saskatchewan cherries that are now coming into their production years and I don't want these all chewed back, so in a few days when it warms up I'll be working on these. Really wish I had the means to build a tall fence around the yard!

Terrance

• Ginny McLean_Petite_Garden
    12 years ago

Terry ~ Better blow snow while it is cold or you'll be blowing slush next week. :) That'll probably change knowing our weather though! I'd like to put a bubble over the whole yard! I like the snow where I can sit and watch it but don't gotta step in it! Unfortunately, my little feather dusters wouldn't get fed if I didn't venture out to the feeding station at least once a day.

Lynn ~ I've been in my bubble for 2 weeks now. After I brought the Halloween decorations in I put on my fleece jammies and am living off my fat! Like I said, I do go out along the path to the feeding station in my fleecy jammies and right back in the house! My neighbours know the routine and so do the birds! :)

Ginny

• northspruce
    12 years ago

The mermaid was Ang - I don't think she's around GW much any more.

The best bubble is the several inches of white fluff that fell on my roses! I don't love snow but I've seen what happens when we don't get enough - dead perennials. Went out and shovelled extra on them last night. I hope it doesn't melt next week like it's calling for...

12 years ago

We haven't had enough to shovel yet, just a few inches, and we're supposed to get milder next week too. I don't think it will all melt, though. Tonight, it's down to -14 already.

I can't hibernate as i have to work, but when it gets to this time of year, i sure wouldn't mind it. Retirement sounds good right now, but i have to pay off the vehicle first. :-/

• sierra_z2b
    12 years ago

Did somebody say BUBBLE??? 2 feet of snow here and really really cold. Brrrr.

Its been a while since I looked in here. Good to see some familar faces still around.

Sierra

12 years ago

We'd better get Pudge in here to do the official opening. I wonder if there's two feet of snow in Saskatchewan? We only have a couple of inches here, but it's cold, -15 tonight, apparently.

• Pudge 2b
    12 years ago

Well I don't know if there's 2', but it's white and cold. "They" are saying a warm spell mid-week, up to 4C. I'm sure hoping it happens cause I still need to do some outdoor christmas decorating. "They" are probably just lying again though, says the pessimist (or is it realist) in me.

Maybe it's because I've been so darn busy (craft show season) but I'm not looking for the bubble just yet...I haven't gotten any seed catalogues to bring in with me.

• freezengirl
    12 years ago

Ginny you crack me up! Glad I am not the only one that finds fleece to be a girls best friend!

12 years ago

-18 here at the moment and the birds don't want to wait till it warms up to be fed! So out in my jammies I went. It's such a friendly time of the morning; everyone brushing off their cars, warming up the engine, cleaning off the side walks, feeding the birds in pink reindeer jammies, getting ready to leave for work.......at least we are all in it together! Supposed to warm up here this week so I'll move from fleece to flannel. :) Freezengirl, my daughter is with us on the fleece jammies too!

Ginny

• trisha_51
    12 years ago

Unfortunately, over here in Kenai, I have 14" of snow-pack. :( (sigh) Loved getting a seed catalog last week!!!

12 years ago

-2C now! WOW! What a change from yesterday! Strange weather we are having this year particularly! Perhaps I will do some outdoor decorating today! In the bubble!

Trisha ~ I got a seed cat. about 3 weeks ago and have been enjoying my tea and jammies with it ever since! Sure wish I had a greenhouse!
    Here's a link you might enjoy if you haven't already. :)

http://chateau-listeur.blogspot.com/

Namaste

Ginny

• FrozeBudd_z3/4
    12 years ago

Very nice sunny mild day ...

Been thinkin I must get myself more lilies, here's 'Shocking' pictured center, the scent is amazing! Below is a potted specimen of 'Bella Anna' hydrangea, an excellent long blooming plant and so much better than 'Invincible Spirit'! To the right is 'Gateway' Joe Pye weed.

Terrance

• Pudge 2b
    12 years ago

That photo actually made my heart jump a little when I saw it - just beautiful, Terry.

One can never have too many lilies :)

• FrozeBudd_z3/4
    12 years ago

Thanks Pudge ... the lily and clematis combination really works for me! When the window is open, the fragrance of the above lilies loft throughout the entire house! I intend to plant many more on the south side ... though, a word of caution is NOT to situate them toooo close to the foundation, as they come up very early and can be struck down by spring freezes.

Here's 'Olina' another favorite for its unusual color and long lasting blooms.

TR

12 years ago

I saw that Terry! And even in the fall Pudge, it looks fabulous!! I am so in awe of Terry's gardens and I haven't seen them at peak bloom!!! I can't wait till next summer, Terry! I might just have to set up a tent or rent one of the carriage houses across the road! :)

Ginny

• FrozeBudd_z3/4
    12 years ago

Ginny, yep, that's quite the "little" house across the road from me, it really does make a very good landmark, smirk :)

Ginny, I'll trade you some 'Olina' and 'Shocking' bulbs if you don't have these? You apparently have quite the collection of lilies I'm sure? Can you or anyone else please advise me on some standouts, especially when it comes to the Orienpets and similar types, heck all types for that matter, though I especially so like the big smelly trumpet and Orientals ... of which the fragrance "wafts" ... not "lofts" ... lol

• freezengirl
    12 years ago

Trisha I feel for you! We don't get nearly the snowfall you do there, but heavy, wet when we do get it. The moose are out and about and it looks like we are going to have another big year for snow shoe rabbits. I have rabbit tracks everywhere in my yard.

• marricgardens
    12 years ago

You mentioned wanting some more lilies? Maybe some of these will be to your liking. Marg

Triumphator, about 3', fragrant long blooming.
    {{gwi:760186}}

Menton, Asiatic
    {{gwi:715255}}

Latvia, 3'
    {{gwi:781650}}

Centrefold
    {{gwi:781653}}

Muscadet,very fragrant
    {{gwi:781656}}

• FrozeBudd_z3/4
    12 years ago

Marg, those first three lilies really do it for me, though 'Triumphator' is a doozy and really must purchase that one for sure, thanks for posting the photos, feel free to add more :)

• marricgardens
    12 years ago

I did order about 7 new ones last year because the voles/moles/b***** did in some of the others. One that I ordered but was mislabeled was Luxor. Wouldn't you know it was the one I really wanted. I called them and they told me they would send Luxor out next spring. Another was Eyeliner, white with a black pencil line edge on it. It flowered for me but didn't have the line yet.
    Eyeliner, I need to stop taking pictures from above!
    {{gwi:781659}}

Lollipop was lost due to the varmints.
    {{gwi:781663}}

The next 4 are new ones that aren't sowing their best yet.
    {{gwi:781666}}

Acapulco
    {{gwi:781669}}

Fangio
    {{gwi:781672}}

Mona Lisa
    {{gwi:781674}}

Not all the new ones flowered. That's all for now folks! Marg

12 years ago

Terry, over in the gallery is our lilies thread for this summer. Have a look. I just did. Then i looked out the window. Big sigh.....

Here is a link that might be useful: Lilies 2011

Sponsored
RTS Home Solutions
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars3 Reviews
BIA of Central Ohio Award Winning Contractor