Return to the Far North Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Don555 - Your California Poppy

Posted by nutsaboutflowers 2b/3a (My Page) on
Wed, Nov 3, 10 at 19:23

There's a picture of your California Poppies on the other post. Did you start those from seed?

When we lived on the coast, it grew like crazy in the ditches, so I tried to grow it in Sask. No luck. It was really scraggly and didn't bloom well.

Did you do anything special with it?

I'd love to try it again as yours looks darn good for November =:)

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Don555 - Your California Poppy

Thanks! I have a strip-garden of them running down the east side of our driveway (full sun) that I've had for the past half-dozen years or so. I only planted seeds the first year, ever since then they have self-seeded and come back carpet-thick in the spring, usually starting in mid-April or thereabouts. They usually start blooming in mid-June, quickly turn into a solid orange carpet by mid-July and continue on impressivley into the fall until a -10 frost takes them out. I think we've only hit -6 or so this fall, and they can recover from that.

Anyway, the garden of them on the east side of the driveway didn't look nearly as good this year as in previous few summers -- I think the rain this summer wasn't good for them, so after a month or two of bloom they began to look straggly. So I ripped them out in late August and planted a row of daylilies instead. I think I'll let some poppies stay until I see how well the daylilies do.

The ones in the picture I posted are actually volunteers that must have got swept across the driveway and seeded themselves all along the west side of the driveway in a little crack where a cement wall meets my concrete driveway. I don't really understand how they grow there, but they have self-seeded there and done very well for the past 3 years or so.

My experience is that they don't compete well with other plants so you need to do some weeding to keep the competition at bay. And they only do well in full sun. So I've had great luck with them in our front yard (which faces due south), but much less so in the backyard, where volunteers sometime spring up around the compost bin or other flower gardens.

Hope that helps.

o
RE: Don555 - Your California Poppy

Yes, it helps a lot.

I'll try them again =:)

Thanks!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Far North Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here