Return to the Far North Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Transplanting

Posted by ljpother 3a (My Page) on
Thu, Nov 12, 09 at 19:56

I think I'm done transplanting. The ground isn't frozen (who counts the first two inches:), so I moved a peony that wasn't doing well. I didn't did deep enough so I left roots and the plant split. Now I have three. I need something to plant with them to add interest while they mature.

Also, I moved a red currant that is almost 3 feet around. It came up easily -- the poor thing was in a plastic pot. Roots were growing over the top.

Earlier, I moved some rose sports, Harrison's Yellow. I planted them along the back fence. Hopefully, in a couple of years I'll have spring colour and natural barbed wire. The fence backs onto a city park; so, I'm planting in a 6" wide trench. The city stopped spraying for weeds and I'm taking advantage of the change and trying to establish some flowers and raspberries.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Transplanting

I'm really surprised that you're still planting in z.3. Have you been successful in the past when planting so late?

o

We've had a warm November. Exposed ground is softly frozen about two inchs deep. The peonies I moved were more sheltered and still green. The new location is more exposed and will soon fix that. Usually, the ground would be frozen and/or snow covered by now. I haven't transplanted this late before (although I have raked leaves in shirt sleeves between Christmas and New Years). Both, plants needed moving: the peony shaded by a cherry tree; and, the currant in a flower bed snuggled up to a saskatoon.

o

Good luck with overwintering "lipother". I mean that sincerely. You are braver than I am. I planted some potted perennials around Nov.1, so am keeping my fingers crossed that they will be OK. I guess it helps to mulch and hope for early snowcover. I do rake all my leaves onto my perennial beds and gardens, so that keeps the ground warm a bit longer so the plants can root. We don't get deep frost until the end of December here.

o

You really have to look out the window to see what's happening. We went from record highs to a hard freeze in early October (too hot to transplant, to too cold). Since then temperatures have been above normal. The other factors in the decision to do it now were the plants were replaceable and needed to be moved.

Mulching is probably a good idea.

Thanks

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Far North Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here