Return to the Far North Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Will it be a hard winter on fruit trees?

Posted by don555 3a (My Page) on
Sun, Nov 11, 12 at 20:41

In my area,most apple trees still seem to have most of their leaves and cherry trees and bushes also still hold a lot of leaves. A year ago all the trees were bare weeks ago. I'm worried that fruit trees didn't harden up very well this fall and combined with the cold late October and early November weather (-20 this morning) that could mean quite a bit of winter injury.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Will it be a hard winter on fruit trees?

Yes, your'e right Don, even with our extended nice fall weather we had, this cold snap for a couple of weeks now feels like January, I'm suspecting the same as you. 3 years ago the orchard suffered from similar fate and took 2 seasons to recover, several trees didn't make it. We'll know by next spring who made it.

o

• Posted by beegood Zone 3 Alberta (My Page) on
    Sun, Nov 11, 12 at 23:38

Now that is not good news. I was wondering with all those leaves left on. Was thinking more that it would attract deer to nibble on them. Guess we have to wait and see.Was -23.2 at my place this morning. Yuck!!!

o

Yeah I had the same thing happen with some of the plums. The Pembina is hardens off very early in say late Sept. But the Toka held its leaves straight till Halloween. The tree just doesn't know when to loose its leaves. I have a feeling one year winter will claim it.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Far North Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here