Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
nutsaboutflowers

Covering with Burlap

nutsaboutflowers
13 years ago

Well, as usual, I've denied winter is coming until it actually gets here. Three days ago it was 16 degrees, and felt almost like summer.

Although I've tidied up most of the yard, I haven't covered my less than hardy cedars, or my newly planted Little Giant Cedars.

Can I wrap them in burlap even now when they're partially covered in snow? We got a fair amount of snow today and this time it's not going to go away.

I don't think it will do any harm having some snow on the inside, but I thought I better ask =:)

Comments (8)

• northspruce
    13 years ago

Yeah that's fine. The worst thing for cedars is to get hit by strong spring sunlight before the ground thaws, it can dessicate the leaves. Burlap plus snow will still help prevent that.

• shazam_z3
    13 years ago

Wrapping is no longer recommended. A burlap wall is what is needed.

Here is a link that might be useful: Burlap wall

• marciaz3 Tropical 3 Northwestern Ontario
    13 years ago

I did a burlap wall for my Dwarf Alberta Spruce, plus covered it with snow. No luck. :-/

• nutsaboutflowers
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Well, I went out this afternoon, and the snow is so heavy, my cheap Walmart evergreens are weighed down to about half their original size =:(

Should I tie them with twine instead of covering with burlap? Won't being weighed down by snow, damage them by spring?

I'd hate to lose them this year when I was surprised they survived in the first place. Out of the six that I bought, two died because I didn't plant them, one died because I probably poisoned it with what I brilliantly thought would be compost tea but probably wasn't, and I have three left.

I think I'll make a burlap wall for the Little Giant Cedars and make sure they're always protected with snow.

• marciaz3 Tropical 3 Northwestern Ontario
    13 years ago

Plants are surprisingly tough. :) If you want, you can shake the snow off the branches, and they'll bounce back. I'm not sure about the hardiness of cedars - i regard them as deer food, so never bothered to find out anything about them as i feel that planting them would just attract the deer. My husband bought a bunch of them a few years ago and that's exactly what happened - that and he planted them between mature spruces and cedars so they got no sun!

• shazam_z3
    13 years ago

Little giants seem to be very hardy - they do well in proper locations in Calgary, what with our very high altitude, lack of humidity and the sun beating down all winter.

You can definitely use twine to keep the branches together. I prefer to use velcro for this though.

If you want, you can even make a shelter, with an A-frame made of wood and then covered with burlap.

• nutsaboutflowers
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Maybe I'll go outside tomorrow and make them little shelters with the burlap.

Half way between wrapped and a wall =:)

Thanks!

• petunia2
    13 years ago

Along similar lines, what would you do about covering a small smoke bush, Continus Grace? It's borderline hardy for this area, so I want to do all I can to keep it going. Now in its 3rd year, and about 2 1/2 feet high, but tends to die back a lot each spring.

In past years we have done a wire frame with burlap wound around as a means of trying to prevent heavy snow from breaking the branches.

Not sure if that's necessary or even a good idea--but I would hate to lose the whole thing. Advice appreciated--thanks!

Sponsored
EK Interior Design
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars5 Reviews
TIMELESS INTERIOR DESIGN FOR ENDLESS MEMORIES