Return to the Far North Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Wind breaks

Posted by cercocarpus 3b (My Page) on
Wed, Nov 25, 09 at 21:33

I have been looking at a lot of trees for wind breaks in my area. My favorites are Norway Spruce, Canadian Hemlock, Engleman spruce, Sub Alpine fir,limber pine,And American Beech. Does anybody know what the best choice would be, I am on a slope, and have rather rocky soil.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Wind breaks

Well Cerc - In my experience you'll want to stick with the spruce. They do well in the wind and offer exceptional shelter and some food source to the birdlife. The norway and white will be best. I think the Subalpine fir is an interesting choice. I don't know if the hemlock will succeed in your region. Have you sourced out your supplier? If not I can maybe offer a suggestion for seedlings that I used last spring and it worked out well. Good luck. Doc

o

I haven't chose a supplier yet, I usually go with lawyer, or musser forests, nursery's. do you have any other suggestions?

o
Hemlock

Hi Doc

You mentioned a possible source for hemlock seedlings?

I'm looking for eastern hemlock. So far the only source I've found is Linnaea Nurseries, and their catalog says zone 4.

Since I'm zone 3, I want to find seedlings (or seeds) from a source at the cold end of their range.

o

Sherwood,

you might try musser forests, lawyer nurseries, carino nurseries, or schumacher seed co

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Far North Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here