Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
marciaz3

Hey, look at this!

I knew i planted these but didn't know where:

And a primula is still blooming - hadn't noticed it before, probably because it was covered with snow before this mild spell.

Asters are blooming too:

Nice to see flowers in November. Perks you up a bit! :)

Comments (9)

• marricgardens
    14 years ago

Nice to have color this late in the season isn't it? Are those fall crocus? Mine are already over. I just went out to the garden to do a cleanup and noticed that the Chaubauds Red Carnation is still budding up and about to open. The petunias have started flowering again and the Skippy Blue Violas are flowering non stop. We're in a warm spell again for a few days and I'm watching to see if there is anything else that will flower. Marg

• sierra_z2b
    14 years ago

Wow what a nice surprise. I have a thin layer of snow over most things here. Fall crocus hmmm. I have the same primula and it comes out from under the snow in spring blooming like that. Blooms all summer and into fall too. Who knows it could still be blooming under the snow now. ha ha.

Thought I would check in to see how everyone is doing. Seed catalogs will be comming soon.

Sierra

• marciaz3 Tropical 3 Northwestern Ontario
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Yes, they're autumn crocus. It's the second time i've tried them, and looks like this time worked. :)

• marricgardens
    14 years ago

I don't know a lot about primroses. Do they like dappled shade? Thought I might get some and put them in my hosta garden. I didn't know they bloomed that long either. Marg

Original Author
    14 years ago

This one is mixed shade and sun. It gets dappled afternoon sun - one of my ninebarks is close by. There's another primrose in there that i winter-sowed, and it bloomed this spring but hasn't bloomed again.I thought they were just spring flowers, but a friend has just said that some of hers are blooming right now too. This one was bought at Safeway last spring. It didn't do that well inside but i kept it going until it could be planted outside, and there it is. :)

• marricgardens
    14 years ago

Thanks marciaz3. I thought they were just spring flowering too. They sell them here at the farmers market every spring so I think I will have to get a few.

Original Author
    14 years ago

No, these are actually "autumn crocuses". The bulbs are a lot larger than regular crocus. I might have gotten them from Botanus. There are a lot of different ones and they'd be more hardy where you are, Marg. You can get a real variety!

• FrozeBudd_z3/4
    14 years ago

Nice that you still have a bit of color to enjoy. Although, the weather is mild here, the ground is now beginning to freeze and there's not a bloom to be seen. I'm now finishing up protecting tender roses and such and intend to get a load of manure spread upon the garden and an additional pile set aside for applying to my perennials, roses and clematis. Stuff already grows good here, so am looking for even better things to come, but not the weeds that are gonna spring forth :(

Terry

• ontnative
    14 years ago

I don't know if they would be hardy for you, but I grow Colchicum 'The Giant' and 'Waterlily'. I prefer 'Waterlily' as it has more colour and the flowers seem to last longer in bloom. For me, here, it blooms at the same time and matches the colour of Aster Wood's Pink.

Here is a link that might be useful: colchicums