Return to the Far North Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Verbascum questions

Posted by savona z2bBCCanada (My Page) on
Wed, Nov 14, 07 at 22:23

I have a hankering to add verbascum to my garden next year. I remember picture(s) posted by others on this forum of their verbascums and wanted to know if they were an annual or a perennial in their gardens? T+M have one that will bloom the same year so I thought that would be a good option for me. Has anyone started them from seed and what luck did you have?..savona

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Verbascum questions

Hi Savona - I have started Verbascum chaixii "alba", V. phoeniceum, and V. nigrum with good success and they have all turned out to be excellent garden plants. Of course, good old V. thapsus would probably also be easy to start...

o

I have these in my zone 2 garden, all perennials, all wintersowed.
Verbascum chaixii 'Album'
Verbascum chaixii
Verbascum nigrum
Verbascum phoeniceum 'Mixed'
and
Verbascum thapsus Great Mullein - biennial

Sharon

o

I've got
Verbascum phoeniceum 'Mixed'
Verbascum hybridum 'Banana Custard' (T&M seed)

Both were wintersowed and both have self seeded. My preference is the 'Banana Custard' for richness in colour.

Shauna

o

• Posted by savona z2bBCCanada (My Page) on
    Thu, Nov 15, 07 at 18:16

Thank you for the replies everyone.Now I feel confident to add more to my shopping cart. It was the Banana Custard that really made me want want want :-)..savona

o

Verbascum nigrum is totally bulletproof and actually pretty rampant (perennial and seedy) for me. I planted it in hot, unwatered builder's fill (cruddy soil) beside my work and it does great. Customers ask about it all the time. I get some complaints about the bees though.

o

When i've sent verbascum seeds to people, i give them a warning: Deadhead!!!! Otherwise you'll be absolutely inundated with verbascums. They're a mixed blessing, imo. This summer i saved a few seed heads and have shaken the seeds out along our road. If they grow (they probably won't because i want them to! LOL), it will be gorgeous!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Far North Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here