Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
hmacdona1

Earthboxes - Where to buy in Calgary

hmacdona1
15 years ago

I've decided I want to pick up a couple of earthboxes this year to try them out. Does anyone know of a dealer or garden centre in Calgary that sells them? I was at golden acres today and they had no idea what I was talking about.

Thanks in advance.....Heather

Comments (9)

• beegood_gw
    15 years ago

What are they?

• marciaz3 Tropical 3 Northwestern Ontario
    15 years ago

I think Lee Valley might have something similar. But if you check them out on the web, they're fairly easy to make. My sister-in-law and her friend have made them on their own.

• sprayman
    15 years ago

Is this the kind of earth box you are talking about Heather

Here is a link that might be useful: Earth box

• hmacdona1
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thanks for your responses. The box at Lee Valley is similar but I've found the water reservoir is just not large enough. From the description on the website, the maxicap system looks ideal. I think I'll drive over there to see what they look like. Has anyone ever tried this brand....if so, any comments?

I've seen various do it yourself instructions on the internet, and as much as I'd like to try, it's one of those projects I know I won't find time to fiddle with. The pricing on the maxicap system looks quite inexpensive. I don't think I'd be able to buy totes, and other supplies to make my own for much less than that.

Thanks for your ideas everyone.

.....Heather

• garden_chicken
    15 years ago

A few years ago I had a couple of MaxiCap planters & really liked them. I had used them in my greenhouse as well as outside against the foundation of the house. Tomatoes LOVE them. I wish that I had had the nice decorative cedar boxes that they sit in, the MaxiCaps themselves aren't terribly attractive. They can be a bit fragile (at least the ones I had were, maybe they've changed them a bit since then). Also, I had the greatest success using their brand of soil bag.

I ended up giving them away when I moved but would definitely consider buying them again.

• shazam_z3
    15 years ago

I am going to buy at least a couple this coming spring. The cedar planters I put on the deck won't survive another year, so I need something to replace them.

I'm just going to build cedar boxes to cover the styrofoam. Certainly cheaper than paying $80 each for the pre-made one.

• harrings_shaw_ca
    12 years ago

I have used the maxicap system for 15 years every year, growing tomatoes - and in october, i wheel the wooden frame (on wheels) just inside our patio door and we have fresh tomatoes until december! Garden Retreat is where I have always purchased mine, but may be available elsewhere.

• shazam_z3
    12 years ago

Edward's also sells them in the Calgary area.

Sponsored
KA Builders
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Industry Leading General Contractors in Columbus