Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
don555_gw

McFayden Seeds

don555
12 years ago

Time to plan and order veggie seeds, I'm wondering about people's experiences with McFayden Seeds.

Many years ago I ordered mostly from Stokes, happy with their seeds but prices went crazy. Switched to Dominion, but had poor germination on so many of their seeds that I stopped ordering from them. Switched to Vesey's for the past lots of years - still plan to order some specific seed varieties from them, but their prices have really been escalating lately so I'm looking for somewhere else to get standard stuff like spinach, peas, herbs, carrots, parsnips and so on. McFayden's seems to be about half the price of Vesey's for standard varieties... are people happy with McFayden's or am I better off to simply buy standard stuff off a rack in a grocery store or nursery over the coming months?

Comments (8)

• bdgardener
    12 years ago

Hi, I posted last year that I have been happy with McFayden seeds, BUT, they are owned by Mckenzie seeds and therefore you can get MOST of their seeds right off the store shelf for the same price as in the catalog.

And not pay the shipping. However the store doesn't carry all varieties so some of the novelty varieties are not available.

I have ordered root stock from them (strawberries) and was very impressed with size and quality.

Cheryl

• marricgardens
    12 years ago

Hi. I've ordered from William Dam Seeds for the past few years and been happy with them. Marg
    www.damseeds.com

• nutsaboutflowers
    12 years ago

Hi Don.

I ordered some of my seeds last year based on a recommendation and was happy with the seeds. I also met the owner of the company at a seed gathering. I'm not sure about the prices as I've never done a comparison.

Heritage Harvest Seeds is in Manitoba.

• Ginny McLean_Petite_Garden
    12 years ago

Never had any problems with Mc Fayden's and I like their varieties. William Dam and T&T too. I've ordered from so many seed companies and have been satisfied with most so basically, for me, it comes down to prices and varieties. I get catalogues from many so I can take my pick and comparison shop. I have been ordering from Bowseed in Bowden for a couple of years now and have not been dissappointed. They are low priced and close and they also have perishable stock. For northern and standard seed varieties they are pretty good. Catalogue is available ; just got mine last week.

I love ordering seed as it is so much fun to plan in the colder months and look forward to that package in the mail! Not to mantion, better variety! :)

Here's the link to Bowseed.

http://www.gardenersweb.ca/

Ginny

• don555
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks for the nursery tips and feedback. Also, good to know that people like Heritage Harvest Seeds as I ordered some interesting older varieties from them for the first time just a couple weeks ago, might expand my order from them next year.

• northspruce
    12 years ago

I have ordered from The Seed Centre in Edmonton and was happy with price, selection and quality. I got a killer lettuce mix from there.

I do most of my ordering from Stokes though, probably because I love their catalogue.

McFaydens is fine for seeds. I don't like that I have to pay PST because I live in MB, and then it's all confusing because there's no PST on food seeds... argh. I bought live plants from them a long time ago and wasn't impressed but it really was ages ago. Nowadays I only order live plants from private speciality growers anyway.

• yugoslava
    11 years ago

We are in 2013 and I tried looking up McFayden Catalogue on line as I've done in the past and can't find anything. At one point I came across McKenzie seed co. and they had McFayden seeds listed. Has McFayden gone out of business? I received their catalogue in 2012. Almost wish I had ordered something from them than but one order is not enough to keep company afloat.

• bdgardener
    11 years ago

I do believe they have stopped their mail order business.

Sponsored
Kitchen Kraft
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars39 Reviews
Ohio's Kitchen Design Showroom |11x Best of Houzz 2014 - 2022