Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
marricgardens

container planting

marricgardens
12 years ago

I have 2 large planters at the front of the house. I don't plant directly in them, instead I plan up a smaller pot and insert in the planters. I'm trying to figure out what I could put in them.

1. the house faces east so the planters get morning sun and bright shade all afternoon.

2. I've tried tall plants but the strong winds, sometimes they are gale force, knocks them over. I have considered putting up a trellis type thingy to hold the plants but the winds are to strong for that and besides I don't like the look of staked plants. Picky aren't I?

3. We get the winds almost anytime. I now think that I will have to pick a low growing ground cover type. Right now I am thinking about Portulaca or Ice Plant, other suggestions are more than welcome. I had Ice Plant in the garden last year but it got full sun there. Would it still flower in bright shade? I'd really like to keep something there that flowers most of the time.

I know I posted this at a busy time so I hope to get some replies after Christmas. For now I wish everyone a Merry Christmas and Happy Holiday Season. Marg

PS: Here are the planters in question. There is one on either side of the door.

{{gwi:775697}}

Comments (3)