Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
nutsaboutflowers

Unusual but Awesome Christmas Gift

nutsaboutflowers
13 years ago

I got a rubbermaid bin with worms in it for Christmas!

I've often considered vermicomposting, ( and also wondered if it would creep me out to have worms in the house) but never in my wildest dreams did I think I'd get a bucket of worms for Christmas. =:)

Does anyone here have a bin of worms in their house? There's a vermicomposting forum, but it doesn't have a FAQ.

Comments (11)

• beegood_gw
    13 years ago

Are the worms really gross ? It sounds interesting . How lonng does it take for these worms to break down kitchen waste?

• nutsaboutflowers
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Beegood - I'm not sure if the worms are really gross. There's no way I'm going to look, ha, ha! I don't even know how many are in there, as I told DH I didn't want to know. Apparently they'll eat maybe 2 cups or so of kitchen waste twice a week, but of course that's only based on a bit of reading and guessing, as it's also dependent on how many worms I have. So far they've only got paper in there until they settle into their new home.

• montana_rose
    13 years ago

Please keep us posted. I have also been interested in vermicomposting, but I know hubby would throw a fit if I told him I had worms in the house. Also interested in the smell indoors...

• beegood_gw
    13 years ago

Maybe outside in the summer but no I do not think I cud have a bin of worms in my house. And I do know lots of people do but I think I would just keep thinking there are WORMS in that box and not compost. Would they live outside in my compost bin.? One of those black igloo shaped things.

• ljpother
    13 years ago

For fruit flies --Ortho Home Defense Max. You'll need it when you bring the worms inside in the fall. In our climate there isn't an advantage to putting the worms outside.

Read up on vermiculture. I ignored most of the rules and kept my worms in a plastic garbage bin. I did cut holes in the bottom for drainage. As your worm population grows you will be able to feed them more.

Have fun -- the worms like to be fondled -- just kidding:)

• Konrad___far_north
    13 years ago

Worms are clean and don't think they smell, I can see this makes a good indoor composting setup, but I'm not sure what would be the advantage of doing so, we throw the waste outside to the compost.
    I can see that you'll have compost a little faster and don't have to go
    outside,... please fill in.

Konrad

• ljpother
    13 years ago

Konrad,

Sometimes the neighbours get upset when you toss the veggie scraps over the balcony. :)

The vermicomposting forum has folks who can answer your query and provide tips for nutsaboutflowers.
    http://forums.gardenweb.com/forums/verm/

Worm castings are nice for topdressing house plants.

• curls
    13 years ago

I Vermicompost! I don't get enough heat in the winter to keep my compost going, and it's a pretty long trudge. I keep them in the house all year long - they don't really like to get too hot.

My trick is to throw scraps in a container in the freezer, thaw, then pour off liquid - add to rubbermaid and top with newspaper i run through the shredder. Make sure your have some vents on the container.

Easy pet for he kids ;)

If you have questions I'll do my best :)

• nutsaboutflowers
    Original Author
    13 years ago

ljpother and curls

Silly question - if I feed my worms myself, when I lift the lid and put the food and paper in, will I have to see the worms? A worm here and there in my garden doesn't bother me, but if I see a ton of worms squirming around in there I'm going to want to throw them out in a snow bank !

Will I see them? What's it like when you open the lid? DH has been maintaining the brood thus far, and I'm wondering if he'll have to continue.

Thanks!

• curls
    13 years ago

Yes you will see them - in mine there's usually 10 or so on the sides of the container when i lift the lid. To be honest it's the sound that gives me the willies.

You could always shine a bright light when you feed them - they don't like the light...

• ljpother
    13 years ago

nuts,

I suggest immersion therapy. Well, not complete immersion :)

You've got the worms; get to know them. They really don't want to be bothered anymore than you want to bother them. However, there will be contact so touch them and get it over with. :) The anticipation is worse than doing the deed.

I hope you've fed them something by now.