Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
grovegreenguy

How much snow do you have ?

FrozeBudd_z3/4
14 years ago

Probably about a good 9 inches here ...

With the bitter cold now upon us, a good protective layer of snow will make the difference in whether some of those borderline hardy perennials and bulbs make it or not, unless youÂve taken the effort to give them additonal protection. I do mound up my tender roses and zone pushing perennials with peat moss and also toss extra snow upon them when possible.

Here's to hoping you have good blanket of snow to keep your plants "warmer" during the bitter cold :)

Terry

Comments (18)

• trisha_51
    14 years ago

Over here on the Kenai Peninsula of AK, in Kenai, we have 6 or 7". Our 'bottom' hasn't dropped out of the thermometer yet, but even then it won't get as cold here as we used to have interior when we lived there. We're looking forward to more snow. It sure is pretty with hoar frost mixed in.

• Konrad___far_north
    14 years ago

Think you'r right Terry, Edmonton eara had about this amount and I apreciated very much.
    Edmonton airport is showing another mother low of minus 44 C. today, I'm showing here at the house in Beaumont
    15 min. away minus 33C....looks like another winter of tender blossom buds are being killed such as, sweet cherries
    European plums and apricot.

Konrad

Here is a link that might be useful: Edmonton Airport

• oilpainter
    14 years ago

Here in Sudbury we have about 4 inches and it's snowing softly right now. They are calling for snow the rest of the week so we will have more. I like a layer to protect my plants but anything more is too much for me. We have had a few cold days but lots of milder ones too. Saturday was lovely--2 below and overcast but no wind.

• marciaz3 Tropical 3 Northwestern Ontario
    14 years ago

In NWOntario, we only have a couple of inches on the ground. I'm sure that with the temperatures we've had in the past week - minus 20s - and what's to come this week (worse), that many things are toast. When we've had snow, it's just been a dusting each time. What we got in October is long gone because of the lovely November. Guess we have to take the bad with the good, eh? :)

• north53 Z2b MB
    14 years ago

Marcia, Your situation sounds similar to mine here in north/central Manitoba. We only have a very thin snow cover and frigid temperatures, -30C today with wind-chills in the -50C range. I'm very concerned about my perennials. Not only are they not protected by snow, it was such a drastic sudden plunge in temperatures. It can't be good. It will be a true test of hardiness, I guess.

• xaroline
    14 years ago

Calgary probably had about 30 cm or one foot , but it is hard to tell as the winds blew it into drifts.
    Caroline Zone 3 Calgary

• Konrad___far_north
    14 years ago

This morning the airport is showing minus 41 C. here in Beaumont minus 36.
    I listened to radio, windchill at airport they said minus 59C.

Konrad

14 years ago

I do have leaves piled on the more tender perennials, but who knows if it will help. Oh well, if the plants are gone, it will be easier to get the weeds out. :-/

• stanly
    14 years ago

I don't think we have more than 2 to 3 inches of snow here in Camrose. Came to work this morning it was 31 below and fortunately there was no wind. Long time ago, I gave up growing "zone pushing" plants because if I totalled all the money I've spent on those plants over the years I could have probably retired 5 years ago. It was just to frustrating and disapointing. Stan

• FrozeBudd_z3/4
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Stan said ... "Long time ago, I gave up growing "zone pushing" plants because if I totalled all the money I've spent on those plants over the years I could have probably retired 5 years ago. It was just to frustrating and disapointing."... wise thinking Stan!

I plant many tender plants close to the foundation of the house, other things get covered with peat moss and hopefully a good insulating layer of snow ... loses are disappointing, though success is exciting, albeit sometimes temporary till a real harsh winter comes along and / or one tires of protecting the dang things, lol.

I hope plant losses won't be too great for those that have received little snow cover.

Terry

• jungseed
    14 years ago

May I send our next snow fall to anyone? We got between 43cm and 46 cm on the 9th and 10th. Have had two more snows of around 7 cm each since. The snow in my yard is above my knees. So if anyone would like a nice insulating layer, I'd be happy to help any and all takers. Of course it hasn't gotten below -20C here yet this season. So we have one blessing.

14 years ago

Okay, Ruth - we'll take it! LOL We've gotten another couple of inches, though - probably too late by now.

Are you going to want tomatoes sown again this year? If you do, send me the seeds and i'll start them in March. :)

• celtic_07
    14 years ago

HI Guys We have 3-5" in total here > I covered everything with about a foot of straw as always . This year I was covereing in december10 as the ground hadn't frozen yet and that is definitly a first for me ! I was still working in the ground creating new beds( not planting) at this time -go figure-mid dec in n.w.ont.

Terry I've never thought of using peat moss. What do you do in the spring?

Konrad hopefully mother nature will be kind to your trees and the bud lose will be minimal

Jungseed- What is the shipping cost?

Today I'm making gingerbread houses with my 2 grandkids and I'll just have to put lots of snow icing on the roofs and "ground"
    AS today is Dec 20th I will wish all of you and your loved ones a wonderful chistmas and a safe,happy and peaceful holiday season Lois

• jungseed
    14 years ago

Marcia - how very kind of you. I'll pick some out and PM you after the holiday madness.

celtic - There is no charge at all if you take it starting right this instant!!! I hear we are getting about another 30 cm between tonight and late Thursday night.
    But my local weather guesser could be wrong. I've seen that happen before.

• stanly
    14 years ago

Well we certainly have more snow now, probably about 6"-8". Terry, I used to have about 75 to 100 Hybrid Teas and each year, I would plant them with the bulb union about 6" deep and then in the fall, cut them back to about a foot, cover with peat moss, about 8-10 bales, then cover with pieces of old carpet. Then in the spring, take the carpet off, and slowly remove the peat moss. Took hours of work in the fall and in the spring. The roses were absolutley beautiful and each year, no matter how careful, I would lose 6-8 roses anyway. One year, about 12 years ago when we had a particularly bad winter, I lost half of the roses and that was it. It was hearbreaking, not to mention very expensive. Every once in a while, I still do buy some plants that are borderline, like I bought 2 shrubs at $35.00 each, can't remember their exact name but they were some Japanese name I think with lovely pink and green leaves, protected them over the winter but they died. And then, I did it again the next summer! Dumb! Anyway, I still have some Oriental and Trumpet Lilies that I buy but they are all planted on the south side of the house where the wind piles up the snow in the winter. However, I can certainly understand why we as gardeners do what we do. It's cause we love it! I hope everyone has a Very Merry Christmas or whatever you celebrate at this time of year and all the best to all in the New Year.

14 years ago

We're supposed to get about 5-10 cms over the next few days. That's about what we have on the ground now - it has come in dribs and drabs. The Oriental and Trumpet lilies are what i'm worried about the most. Lilies are my favourites.

Ruth - no problem! :)

• jungseed
    14 years ago

marcia - I love lilies also. Did I tell you my peony bloomed this year? It was white with a hint of red in it.

We are getting sleet, snow and freezing rain. Lucky it snowed first. But any place that was cleared of snow has about 1/2 cm of ice covering it. Walking was worse than driving this morning. They are saying actual rain this afternoon. Sounds like our snow cover will be going way down.

14 years ago

Congrats on the peony blooming, Ruth! Festiva Maxima? I have that one too. Peonies didn't seem to mind our cool wet summer.

The weather guessers keep telling us we're getting more snow but it hasn't really happened. I see from Facebook that it's pouring rain in the Milwaukee area (relatives there)- the weird weather continues!

Sponsored
Michael Nash Design, Build & Homes
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars254 Reviews
Northern Virginia Design Build Firm | 18x Best of Houzz