Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
davidpeaceriver__2b

Mulberries!

Has anyone had success growing mulberries in our region? I successfully overwintered two saplings last winter, but they both suffered winterkill to the snowline. I'm trying better protection this year but expect that I'll still suffer significant losses. I dearly love the fruit, but haven't seen any other bushes/trees on the prairies.

I'm currently on vacation in the Bahamas and recently discovered (and enjoyed) a very large bush on a vacant property. This genus must be a near record for the greatest north-south range for a fruiting bush/tree (pic is of the island bush).

Comments (15)

• CLBlakey
    11 years ago

You poor thing having to endure the harsh sunshine LOL Hope you are having a good time - PS I know nothing about mulberries but did look at them this morning on-line.

• don555
    11 years ago

Good luck with them, but I think that's going to be a tough one. I have eaten mulberries from small trees in the Okanagan valley and also along the St. Lawrence River in southeastern Ontario, but those are probably both zone 6 locations. I've never heard of anyone growing them in Alberta... well, now I have, you're the first! :) Be sure to let us know how they come through this winter, they might get hardier as they get better established.

• Collin001
    11 years ago

The furthest range I've seen listed is 3b on the Russian Tatarica strain. The common one Morus alba is listed 4a. Whatever you do I'd try to plant it in a protected spot. Good luck and keep us posted.

• Konrad___far_north
    11 years ago

I have two trees for about 10 years now, ..got them as very small saplings from a eastern nursery. They keep freezing back but gain in height from year to year. Now, one is about 3 foot tall and I'm thinking to graft on these some day. The cultivar is not much of a good producing berry,..just a rootstock.

Over 10 years ago I visited somebody in Edmonton who had a tree about 6 feet tall and producing berries. Not sure what append in the meantime with this tree.

• RpR_
    11 years ago

I am in mid-Minn., in the nineties we had -40 F three times, and I have forty foot, multiple trunk Mulberry growing outside, across from the front-door.

It is too big for me to ever get any berries but I see them laying on the patio often.

• cdnfruit
    11 years ago

My sister grew one in 2 years to over 10 feet tall in Mississauga, ON. The first winter, we kept it indoors. I will be trying to grow one in Northern Saskatchewan this year.

• Collin001
    11 years ago

Konrad, the strain I heard to try is Montreal Black at 3b both as a grafted tree rated 4a and as a seedling on its own roots. I'm thinking ungrafted trees might display an advantage in the cold.

• Konrad___far_north
    10 years ago

Thank you Collin!
    Been doing a bit of winter searching when I came to this thread again.
    Montreal Black..
    Zone 4 a, might just try,..pretty expensive at Green Barn!
    Any other source or someone willing in trading scion wood?

• mbfarmboy
    10 years ago

I planted a Russian mulberry here in Western Manitoba in 2011 and with 30" of rain that summer it barely leafed out and I thought it was toast. However it leafed out in 2012 and in 2013 it grew to over 6' tall. I've given it no special attention and hopefully it survived this really cold winter we had.

• Konrad___far_north
    10 years ago

Sounds good farmboy,..please let us know how much it froze back ones it will sprout out,..how are the fruits supposed to be on this one?

• Konrad___far_north
    10 years ago

delete double post

This post was edited by konrad___far_north on Mon, Mar 10, 14 at 19:26

• runswithscissors
    10 years ago

I planted an alba last spring. It looks as if it made it through the winter just fine, but obviously I'm in a warmer zone. I'm curious how this will turn out. (I chose the white because the description said it doesn't attract as many birds, the fruit doesn't stain, and the tree itself is not quite as gigantic as the purples. We'll see. Good luck with yours.

• Konrad___far_north
    9 years ago

Just got my Montreal black in yesterday, but now I don't think it is Montreal black since it has no graft, I suspect they sent me a seedling?

• FrozeBudd_z3/4
    9 years ago

Yes, likely a seedlling or possibly grown from a cutting? What other plants had you also received?

• Konrad___far_north
    9 years ago

Just got a answer and saying from cuttings,..the only tree which
    looks like is healthy,...the rest of the 9 are BAD!...for sure some are DEAD!

Please, do not buy from Green Barn Nursery!

>>What other plants had you also received?A story in it self! see link

Here is a link that might be useful: Got my tree order in...think some were shipped dead!

Sponsored
Through The Garden, Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars21 Reviews
#1 Landscape Design Build Firm Serving Virginia/Maryland & DC Area