Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
stanly_gw

Ordering seeds for 2010

stanly
14 years ago

I guess I must be too early eh? but last nite I spent a couple of hours going through Vesey's, T&T and some other catalogues making a list of seeds I will be ordering. So far just into Petunias, Foxy foxgloves, pansy and some other but I think I will wait til after Christmas. Stan

Comments (6)

• oilpainter
    14 years ago

Uh,uh--I start reading through mine when I first get them in November. I do it with my highlighter in hand and anything that catches my eye gets highlighted. I find I see things the first time I go through them than later. I may not order everything I've highlighted but at least I won't miss anything I wanted to order.

Then I get out my old scribbler and check my notes. I write my orders in there and there is always room below for comments I make throughout the summer. I also keep a list of my regulars in a file on the comp

When I do order in January, first I print out my regular seeds. Then I check each catalogue for price and varieties.

For me ordering seeds is almost what you'd call a 2 month process.

• don555
    14 years ago

Hmm, I haven't got my catalogues yet, should be very soon I hope. I usually place my on-line orders around Boxing Day, that way I'm pretty much assured to get everything I order.
    -Don

• stanly
    Original Author
    14 years ago

It certainly is fun going through the catalogues and it seems the more times I go through them the more I see I want to order. Right after Christmas I will be setting up my lights and cleaning our my various trays to start the seedlings in. I too highlight all the ones I like and it doesn't take long before there are a lot of highlighted pages. Stan

• xaroline
    14 years ago

I order as the catalogues come. I am surprised that some companies still place some items on back orders when they advertised the item in the new catalogue.
    Happy Gardening in 2010!
    Caroline zone 3 Calgary

• oilpainter
    14 years ago

xaroline;
    Seed companies grow and produce most of their own seed. They do however order some seeds from other suppliers, sometimes from other countries. If you order from a new catalogue and find certain seeds on back order chances are those seeds are from another supplier and they are late with their order for some reason or another. When I get seeds put on back order I know they will come in sooner or later and before planting season

• xaroline
    14 years ago

Yes, I expect that there are good reasons for back orders.
    Caroline

Sponsored
Dave Fox Design Build Remodelers
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars49 Reviews
Columbus Area's Luxury Design Build Firm | 17x Best of Houzz Winner!